Solar Panels which one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Panels which one

I have been looking around for a 12v 120w folding solar panel, only to be used occasionally two/three day camping trip, keep the fridge cold 50ltr Wacoe and run some LED's, got a stand alone second battery to run off the panel (12V 36amph).
    So many to choose from, so if in doubt ask the Paj forum for advise, has anybody got one of these panels and can recommend any particular brand name or company, I do not want the top of range item looking about $150-$200 price range.
    Looked on the forum, there are plus's and minus's for many different products.
    NX 2016 GLS, Graphite, Nudge Bar, Pirelli Scorpion Plus.

This is what I have and happy with it and happy with the guys that sell it, I got the upgrade kit with bag etc.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Foldi...item4d16134958
    Rick
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

I have 100W wish I had more, just barely enough for my needs. Have them mounted on roof rack so always charging when vehicle stationery, ie: trip into town vehicle charges then whilst shopping solar takes over. Works for me.
      Last edited by wrexy; 10-12-13, 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling
      MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
      Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
      http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png

Comment

Try before you buy. As I'm just down the road, come have a look at mine if you wish:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360466559...84.m1423.l2649

Might even let you take it away for a weekend
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

And this is the one that I am using:
          http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Pan...item3f1eaa054d
          It does a great job and keeps my little 65AH aux battery under the bonnet charged up enough to camp continuously and run my Waeco CF60 and some lights in the evenings. So long as you are getting sunshine during the day of course....
          Cheers, Dan.
          Attached Files
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Pan...item3f1eaa054d

that's the panel I bought. Very good seller to deal with aswell.

my panel arrived with a hinge pin missing. They gave me money back so that I could get it fixed.
            the controller didn't work, and the seller said to buy another controller and they would reimburse me.

with the bits fixed the panel works great, well it kept my fridge running for 8 days and the batt with good volts when I tested it at home with the replacement regulator.

I may have just got the one dodgy panel.... But I highly recommend the eBay seller, very helpful about fixing the problems.
            '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
            Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

That's the same as mine Alex and my hinges were also crap. I replaced them with some stainless Zenith hinges form Bunnings for about $5. I reckon you would find that any of these cheap chinese panels will have these same sort of issues.
              So far though, my regulator has been faultless.
              Cheers, Dan.
              2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                Try before you buy. As I'm just down the road, come have a look at mine if you wish:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/360466559...84.m1423.l2649

Might even let you take it away for a weekend
                X2 for Bit Deals solar panel kits.

Good to deal with and a value for money kit.

They use brand name solar cells by Rich Solar and the panel output matches the specs on the back of the panel. A large amount of cheap solar panels sold on ebay, the output does not match the claimed output. ie. 80w panels stickered up as 100w panels.

Comment

Not that there is anything wrong with them, but in regards to Dans and Alex's panels.....

These are 17.5V Voc panels. If you are wishing to connect to a dc-dc charger for mppt regulation, you may run into issues.

The other two panels quoted are 21Voc and are suitable for such usage.

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

My Journeys

Comment

Interesting, thanks for bringing that to my attention Shane.
                    I was not aware of the differences.
                    Sometime in 2014 I will be installing a battery system into my camper, charged using a Ctek D250S dual. Will have to see how my panel goes. If no good, will just buy another with the higher open circuit voltage
                    Cheers, Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                      Interesting, thanks for bringing that to my attention Shane.
                      I was not aware of the differences.
                      Sometime in 2014 I will be installing a battery system into my camper, charged using a Ctek D250S dual. Will have to see how my panel goes. If no good, will just buy another with the higher open circuit voltage
                      Cheers, Dan.
                      i'm about to find out, have the 120w panel set and am in the middle of installing those and the ctek 205s in to my delica which is currently getting a camper conversion done on it.
                      Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                      Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

yeah I havnt got that far into solar. I just bought it to keep a battery charged dedicated to the fridge. That it does- after replacing the faulty regulator haha.

dont plan on having any permanent type solar setup in the vehicle so for me the panel does what I need. Yeah it doesn't quite pump out to the quoted specs but it does what I need.

buy quality if you are planning on really needing solar, but if its just for a bit of extra juice for a longer weekend the cheapie does alright.

there's plenty of people here though that will be able to let you know how to set up proper systems!
                        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
                        Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzel View Post
                          i'm about to find out, have the 120w panel set and am in the middle of installing those and the ctek 205s in to my delica which is currently getting a camper conversion done on it.
                          Keep us posted Schnitzel, I am keen to hear how you go with the panel and the Ctek!
                          Cheers, Dan.

Comment

Alex, there is nothing wrong with your panel. The only reason I mentioned it is cause some people have tried to use the MPPT function on the redarc. It requires 17.5V input to know a panel is connected and trigger the mppt function. The 17.5Voc panels don't seem to be able to trigger them.

I haven't looked into the DS250S solar input specs, so I cant quote if it will or will not work. Easy enough for you to look up for those with or about to purchase a DS250S.

My Journeys

Comment

I'd be worried about some of the eBay offerings, given that their labels have wording such as :

"Open Circuit Current 8.5A"
                              "Short Circuit Voltage 18.5V"

Methinks they need some lessons in basic electrickery !
                              2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X