Another Dual Battery query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Dual Battery query

So my Waeco CF50 does not perform with the single battery and cabling. It cuts out or discharges the main battery, and it requires the car key to be in ACC.

My only immediate need for a better system is to run the fridge and charge a phone. I do not want or need an expensive sophisticated system - read I want it cheap!

My use is to drive the car to work (30 mins), keep fridge on low for 6 hours, drive the car to windsurf (30 mins), keep the fridge cold, drive home (30 mins), put a battery charger on overnight keeping the fridge very cold.

I think just upgrading the standard battery and cabling could be sufficient for my needs, but I may as well add a second battery whilst I'm at it.

So, what sort of system is the most basic (cheap) I could get away with? Is there anyone in Perth that could possibly have the whole lot supplied and installed for around $500?
    Pajero NS Exceed
    Done: HID & LED Driving Lights, Nudge Bar, Bushskinz Bash plates, Roof Rack, UHF, Awning, Bilstein & Lovells 50mm lift, 285/60/18 A/T Tyres, 160W Solar, 120Ah ARK Battery, Waeco CF-50

Doing the work yourself you can install a tray, 2nd wet cell deep cycle battery, a smart solenoid isolator and all cabling including a new live feed to the rear cargo area for not much more than $500.
    This is going to be the only reliable way to keep your fridge going AND be able to reliably start your car after an extended period of running the fridge without running the engine.
    The factory wiring down the rear cargo area is very thin and you will be pushing its capabilities to the limit by running the fridge off it.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

cheap and basic, by a waeco raps 12r pack and a waeco raps 36. put the battery pack in the back and secure it, mount the raps 12 outlet near the battery pack run the 2 wires back to the main battery.

is simple and really only suitable for running a fridge, has the advantage of giving you a portable power pack if you want to take the fridge down to the beach.

raps 12

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WAECO-POR...43a54c5&_uhb=1

raps 36

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waeco-Bat...3c3ac95&_uhb=1
      Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
      Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Please help me clarify! I have a petrol 08 NS Exceed with Dual Aircon. Is there extra work involved in trying to get a 2nd battery tray in?
        Pajero NS Exceed
        Done: HID & LED Driving Lights, Nudge Bar, Bushskinz Bash plates, Roof Rack, UHF, Awning, Bilstein & Lovells 50mm lift, 285/60/18 A/T Tyres, 160W Solar, 120Ah ARK Battery, Waeco CF-50

Comment

I don't think so. I've seen pics on here before of people putting aux batteries under the bonnets of Gen 3 & 4 V6's.
          Cheers, Dan.
          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzel View Post
            cheap and basic, by a waeco raps 12r pack and a waeco raps 36. put the battery pack in the back and secure it, mount the raps 12 outlet near the battery pack run the 2 wires back to the main battery.

is simple and really only suitable for running a fridge, has the advantage of giving you a portable power pack if you want to take the fridge down to the beach.

raps 12

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WAECO-POR...43a54c5&_uhb=1

raps 36

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waeco-Bat...3c3ac95&_uhb=1
            Agree with this. Or just buy a small charger and charge the RAPS36 from the factory rear ciggie socket.
            2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpySmurf View Post
              Please help me clarify! I have a petrol 08 NS Exceed with Dual Aircon. Is there extra work involved in trying to get a 2nd battery tray in?
              Nope - no issues. My 2010 Platinum has rear AC.
              2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

So potentially you want to run the fridge for 8 hours (6 + my estimate of 2 hours whilst on the water) with 1.5 hours of alternator recharge in between. Then topped up overnight to repeat the process.

Specs show the CF50 will consume 21Ah/day. I think that figure will be close to the mark, but noting inside a vehicle in summer will probably increase that substantially. On spec values your looking in the vicinity of 8-10Ah of power consumed over this period (ignoring alternator charge)

I would believe your main battery would handle this with ease. You mention battery drain and fridge cut-out. At those values one could only assume your battery has very reduced capacity, your cabling is not compensating for voltage drop, or a combination thereof.

A quick check of google shows me an N70 should provide approximately 80Ah. However, this a rough guide only as start batteries are designed for high current short duration, not low current long duration loads. That said, you should only be drawing 10-20% of the batteries capacity to provide, so in theory, it should do it with ease.

A second battery is the best and safest IMO. What ever type you go is up to you IE under bonnet or external. The Raps as mentioned at 36Ah should also do the job (drawing about 25% of its capacity). Also worthy to look at other external type setups such as the ark pak.

Hope the above helps

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Thanks guys. I have gone for an Ark pack with a 110Ah Deep Cycle flooded battery for now. That should in theory last 4 days of full on camping, then I will plug in a 21Ah 240v charger. I may even get a 120w solar panel.

Has anyone mounted an Ark Pack under the bonnet? This would be great to clear up boot space.
                  Pajero NS Exceed

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X