Headlights wont stay on high when ignition on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
    By design. Can only flash the high beam with engine off.
    Errr - are you sure? - my cars can flash the high beam with engine on.

To OP - just to be sure, have you tried disconnecting the driving lights control wire to ensure it is not causing the issue? How & where have they wired the driving lights into the car?
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Unsure if you have seen this:

http://faq.out-club.ru/download/paje...3/index_M1.htm

Go to section 54A, then Headlamp, then Symptom

It also mentions the dimmer switch, but unsure if they mean the dash lights dimmer or the stalk switch?

Looks like an area for experts, perhaps with a MUT III - might need to be a dealer to diagnose? (I hate these complicated "black box" designs!)
      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Originally posted by spot01 View Post

Errr - are you sure? - my cars can flash the high beam with engine on.

To OP - just to be sure, have you tried disconnecting the driving lights control wire to ensure it is not causing the issue? How & where have they wired the driving lights into the car?
        With the engine off, you can only flash the high beam. It won't latch. It will only latch and stay on if the ignition is on.

Both the column ECU and the front ECU get power from ignition fuse. The lights themselves get power directly from battery via their own fuses.

Just re-read the OP's post. Have you replaced the column ECU or just the indicator stalk?
        Last edited by vladguan; 4 weeks ago.
        Please call me Vlad.
        -----------------------
        MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

Quite amazing! Was waiting a couple of weeks for the booking at the auto electrician. Driving home one night, noticed dash lights all lit up correctly on dip beam. Flicked to high beam and it now works and 'latches' correctly. Got no idea how it fixed itself, as it were. Only thing I can think of was that there was some grease on the new indicator stalk contact terminals. Suspected this needed to stay there so did not remove it. Maybe it was interfering with the connection. Now that it has worn off with use, perhaps the contacts are working as intended. Anyway, glad I did not buy a new ECU - quoted around $560 for that. Anyway, if this happens to anyone else, try a replacement indicator stalk and see if that fixes it. Perhaps remove the grease with solvent or contact cleaner first.

Comment

Mine now latches to high beam all the time, ignition on or off. Fingers crossed it keeps behaving itself.

Comment

Rotten thing is doing it again! Hit the lights during the day today whilst it was raining. Noticed the same behaviour as before, no latching to main/high beam and no dash background lights on either main or dipped beam.This is extremely irritating to say the least. Back to the auto electrician I suppose.

Comment

Just the stalk was replaced, no fuses or ECU either column or in engine bay fuse box. Engine bay one is $500+ from Mitsubishi. Don't want to buy this on the off chance, unless it can be demonstrated that is the issue. Might try looking in the wreckers. I have fear of these modern electrics, I'm afraid if I start plugging any playing something else will stuff up.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X