Keeping things on solar panel mounted to the roof rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping things on solar panel mounted to the roof rack

I want to mount solar panel permanently to the roof rack and I am wondering if I could keep things like tent or camp chairs on top of it while driving between camps or the panel is too soft and it would break?
    I am looking at getting one of these panels:
    https://www.bcf.com.au/p/xtm-110w-fi...el/563065.html

Cheers

Yes but with limitations, if the items stored on the panel were soft and light you would have no problems but it would be very easy to crack or scratch the panel particularly driving on rough roads etc. The panel would need to be well attached and have a good frame use of a packing blanket or similar between the tent and panel would also assist.

Comment

Having it on the roof has a lot of downside in my view. Apart from the obvious issues with storing things on top, you need to park in the sun and the panel will only be really working as it should in the middle of the day.

A folding set carried in the car which you can move around is far better.
      2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.

Comment

Powolo, as an alternative to your idea I've always been playing with the thought of building the solar UNDER the roof rack on sliding rails(u-profile will do) so you can slide it out at camp and store it when driving. That way it also works as a little awning over the tailgate, assuming you slide it out at the rear.

Just for clarification; I'm no where near installing solar
        My introduction:
        https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...ad.php?t=62295

Comment

An added advantage or panels permanently mounted on the roof (I have 130W with a MPPT and 150 AHs of batteries in the 3rd seat well which also can connect to the starter battery) is if your alternator fails, you can keep driving. That's critical if you're 100s of km from help.

Comment

Originally posted by Powolo View Post
            I want to mount solar panel permanently to the roof rack and I am wondering if I could keep things like tent or camp chairs on top of it while driving between camps or the panel is too soft and it would break?
            I am looking at getting one of these panels:
            https://www.bcf.com.au/p/xtm-110w-fi...el/563065.html

Cheers
            hi
            i brought 1 of these more is better i dont see much info on the bcf one but i have mine on the roof it puts in about 6amps and i carry stuff on top you just got to be mind full had it on there 2years now and it runs into battery box with a 120amp full river behind the back seat regards john

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130W-12V...r/322342339664

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys, I will give it a go then. I don't like to have to set something every day that's why I don't want foldable panels, usually when I am travelling my car is parked in the sun anyway as I spend days surfing..

RyanR, I like the idea of panel on the rails too, I think I might try it later as I don't have enough time for it now. Need to build a fridge slide first..

Comment

Originally posted by Paul NT View Post
                An added advantage or panels permanently mounted on the roof (I have 130W with a MPPT and 150 AHs of batteries in the 3rd seat well which also can connect to the starter battery) is if your alternator fails, you can keep driving. That's critical if you're 100s of km from help.

You champ - I never thought of that aspect - I had actually figured my 2 deepcycles whould have to get me to help if I was in that situation...... but thats is an awesome thought.
                1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back AND 8 PSI of BOOOOOST

.... and 1990 Nissan Z32 300zx for on road shenanigans

Comment

I wouldn't put anything on top of it especially when driving. Just normal road vibration could significantly increase the risk of damage to the solar panel even with light weight items in my opinion.
                  2008 NS X SWB DiD auto in cool silver, Pirelli Scorpion ATR's, MCC bull bar with Stedi Summit fog/DRL's, Airtec(TJM) snorkel.

Previously
                  88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
                  99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X