Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

reversing camera

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • reversing camera

    How do I remove panels in rear to run cable to dashboard? Is there an easier way - dont say get wireless set up

    sorry this is a 2000 NM
    Last edited by beaky; 09-09-07, 10:19 PM. Reason: added which vehicle

  • #2
    In my NP I ran it through the space between the roof and the lining (the screen clips over the rearview mirror) but it would be easy to run the cable down the A pillar to get into the dash. At the rear, the cable runs down the rear pillar.

    Alternative is to run behind the rear panel, down to the door sills and into the dash from underneath. You don't need to remove the panels (tape the wire to a piece of fencing wire and poke it through after removing the door sills and the rubber that holds the edge of the panel to the door frame) The sills have space for an extra cable.

    Where will you put the camera? Mine sits on a bracket above the spare tyre so when the back is full to the roof te image on the scrren replicates the rearview mirror.

    Adrian

    Comment


    • #3
      will drill hole in bumper to fit camera -- have dvd player with 3.5" screen in dash

      Comment


      • #4
        I should have added that you get inside the rear panel through the hole where the 3rd row seat mechanism is after removing the cover.

        To get inside from the bumper, there is a grommet into the space near the 3rd row mechanism (if it's the same as an NP).

        Adrian

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks for that
          might try tomorrow. I have some plastic strip that I use for a drawwire will try to push that through.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AdrianLR View Post
            I should have added that you get inside the rear panel through the hole where the 3rd row seat mechanism is after removing the cover.

            To get inside from the bumper, there is a grommet into the space near the 3rd row mechanism (if it's the same as an NP).

            Adrian
            Hi Adrain,
            Sorry to bring up an old thread (I found it on a google search). I have a KJ Jeep 05 & an NM Pajero 2001. Recently I bought a reversing camera for the wife's Mitsi. So far I've laid the cable from the dash to the back right corner of the car. All is good and am ready to put the camera on the back. I thought the best place would be on the black plastic pannel where the number plate sits. However getting the cable back into the tail gate seems to be a real problem.

            I've tried to remove the inner linner of the tail gate but the clips are very resistant to my efforts. I'm concerned that I will break something if I proceed this way.

            Can any please offer any advice as to how I can get the cable from inside the cabin, through the hinge & into the back of the tail gate. Then on top of that I need to get it out via the number plate light housing so I can connect the camera. + I need to wire up the cable to the rev lights (probably solder it to the the light wire to get power).

            Regards
            Chris D

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by CDKJ View Post
              Hi Adrain,
              Sorry to bring up an old thread (I found it on a google search). I have a KJ Jeep 05 & an NM Pajero 2001. Recently I bought a reversing camera for the wife's Mitsi. So far I've laid the cable from the dash to the back right corner of the car. All is good and am ready to put the camera on the back. I thought the best place would be on the black plastic pannel where the number plate sits. However getting the cable back into the tail gate seems to be a real problem.

              I've tried to remove the inner linner of the tail gate but the clips are very resistant to my efforts. I'm concerned that I will break something if I proceed this way.

              Can any please offer any advice as to how I can get the cable from inside the cabin, through the hinge & into the back of the tail gate. Then on top of that I need to get it out via the number plate light housing so I can connect the camera. + I need to wire up the cable to the rev lights (probably solder it to the the light wire to get power).

              Regards
              Chris D
              Chris,

              To get into the door, pass the cable through the rubber tube that goes between the body and the door below the hinge. Pull off both ends, push the cable through the hole in the body, then through the tube and into the door. Don't put the tube back in place until you've finished as this will make it dofficult to adjust cable length.

              To get the trim off, you need to unscrew the high-mount stop light cover, remove the trim around the window (brute force directed at the clips which are postioned around the edge - use a screwdriver wrapped in a rag). I managed to do it without damage except for one clip. The bottom panel is also clipped in but you need to remove the grab handle and catch surround (this may be a bit different on the NM - someone else might comment??)

              I'm sure I have an extract from the manual somewhere that I found AFTER doing the job and I'll post a link once I find it.

              It's fiddly and non-obviuos to get the cable across the inside of the door as there are baffles that you can't see even with the panel off. Using a coat hanger with a cable taped to it worked.

              If any of this is unclear please ask.

              Adrian

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AdrianLR View Post
                Chris,

                To get into the door, pass the cable through the rubber tube that goes between the body and the door below the hinge. Pull off both ends, push the cable through the hole in the body, then through the tube and into the door. Don't put the tube back in place until you've finished as this will make it dofficult to adjust cable length.

                To get the trim off, you need to unscrew the high-mount stop light cover, remove the trim around the window (brute force directed at the clips which are postioned around the edge - use a screwdriver wrapped in a rag). I managed to do it without damage except for one clip. The bottom panel is also clipped in but you need to remove the grab handle and catch surround (this may be a bit different on the NM - someone else might comment??)

                I'm sure I have an extract from the manual somewhere that I found AFTER doing the job and I'll post a link once I find it.

                It's fiddly and non-obviuos to get the cable across the inside of the door as there are baffles that you can't see even with the panel off. Using a coat hanger with a cable taped to it worked.

                If any of this is unclear please ask.

                Adrian

                Thanks for that Adrian, I will have another look on the weekend as time in the evening is short with the kids and all. Do you have any pics of your install? + if you find that link it would be great.

                (on another note, do you guy's run 275/70/16's without a lift, I'm thinking I need new rubber soon and can't get a lift just yet.)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CDKJ View Post
                  on another note, do you guy's run 275/70/16's without a lift, I'm thinking I need new rubber soon and can't get a lift just yet.)
                  CDKJ,
                  I ran Toyo Opats 275/70/16 on my NM and they were great. Good wear, wet grip and sand driving. I had standard suspention with Polyairs, which I highly recommend.
                  Sandgroper.
                  NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

                  Comment

                  Matched content

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X