NM radio interference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM radio interference

The standard radio in my NM Exceed has a high pitched squeal when the ignition is turned on. It is not there with the ignition off. The engine does not need to be running, just turning the ignition on is enough for the squeal to start. There is no GPS system - just the standard NM display.

It seems to be getting louder - I think it's been there for quite a while, but is now becoming annoying.

Some time ago I earthed the bonnet properly and that got rid of the static when the engine was running, but this is a different issue.

Last clue - when I touch the aerial with my finger, the squeal disappears.

I can't think what it might be, although I'm wondering about replacing the aerial.

Any ideas?????????

Gaz
    2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Does it happen on any particular band? ie AM or FM?

Mine is subject to interference on the AM band from time to time. Whereas my Subaru seems fine. I'm not sure if it aerial or radio that's causing the problem.

Be interest to hear what other people have to say.

Mike
    Retired - 2001 NM Exceed V6, 2" Lovell/Bilstein Lift, Wildcat Headers and Custom 2.5" Lukey Ultra Flo System, Milford barrier, Cooper HTs and GY MT/Rs, TJM sump and transmission bashplates

Comment

Mike,

Yes I should also have added that it's on AM only. I also have a Subaru and it doesn't have the same problem - although its radio is far from impressive.

My thinking re the Pajero is that something must be creating some sort of radiation on the AM band when the ignition is turned on, and the shielding on the radio and/or the aerial isn't cutting it out. Alternatively it might be getting to the radio via the power supply - if so, someone might know how to filter it out.

Gaz

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Hi Gaz

I know that there was a technical bulletin for the NPs on how to fix this. An earth strap. When I complained to MMA, they rectified it without questions.

tony

Comment

Thanks Tony - I'll follow up on it.

Gaz

Comment

Earth strap is from body to bonnet.
            16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
            10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Hi Pat

I earthed the bonnet some time back, and that stopped the "static" but this is a different noise. I was assuming Tony's earth strap must be located elsewhere - eg earthing the frame of the radio unit itself. Anyhow I'll give it a go, nothing to lose apart from a few spinal vertebra.

Gaz

Comment

Sounds like RFI probably from the ECU.

Comment

Maybe an additional earth strap from ECU case to chassis?

Thanks

Gaz

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X