Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel filter pipe assembly to fuel tank - Replacing the studs on fuel tank

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fuel filter pipe assembly to fuel tank - Replacing the studs on fuel tank

    I wanted to check if it was possible to replace the metallic section as depicted by the arrows in the images below, which is on the fuel tank of the Pajero. There are 6 studs on this, which looks like some sort of a ring, onto which the Fuel Filter pipe assembly is attached to, using nuts. Is that metallic ring something which can be removed, without having to drop the fuel tank?

    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

  • #2
    No idea but the fact that it's not shown as a separate component in the manual is a worry.

    I reckon it's there to reinforce the opening and may well be spot welded in place.

    I know you are trying to repair a couple of sheared studs. Maybe put a mirror in the tank ( that will fun!!) and try to see the ends of the studs. This may give a clue to their possible removal.

    If no ends are visible, then they will be part of the ring in question and it will almost certainly be welded in place.

    Good luck with it,

    Mike
    2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent catch can, Boos bash plates, Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, fridge slide, kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, more to come...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
      No idea but the fact that it's not shown as a separate component in the manual is a worry.

      I reckon it's there to reinforce the opening and may well be spot welded in place.

      I know you are trying to repair a couple of sheared studs. Maybe put a mirror in the tank ( that will fun!!) and try to see the ends of the studs. This may give a clue to their possible removal.

      If no ends are visible, then they will be part of the ring in question and it will almost certainly be welded in place.

      Good luck with it,

      Mike
      I agree with 2 Emms, this part is not likely to be easily replaced, unfortunately.
      Options are to replace the fuel tank or try to repair.
      Possible repair could be drilling the stud out so there is hole in the tank flange, then fit a closed end/sealed rivnut that you have inserted and sealed with fuel tank sealant. Then either use a bolt of the correct length or loctite a thread stud into the rivnut.

      Best of luck on this one, Benny.

      OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Two Emms View Post
        No idea but the fact that it's not shown as a separate component in the manual is a worry.

        I reckon it's there to reinforce the opening and may well be spot welded in place.

        I know you are trying to repair a couple of sheared studs. Maybe put a mirror in the tank ( that will fun!!) and try to see the ends of the studs. This may give a clue to their possible removal.

        If no ends are visible, then they will be part of the ring in question and it will almost certainly be welded in place.

        Good luck with it,

        Mike
        Thanks Mike. I am beginning to feel that what both you and Old Jack mention is true, about it being spot welded in place.
        Also, you are right on the money in terms of me trying to repair/replace the sheared studs - 3 in this case.

        Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by old Jack View Post

          I agree with 2 Emms, this part is not likely to be easily replaced, unfortunately.
          Options are to replace the fuel tank or try to repair.
          Possible repair could be drilling the stud out so there is hole in the tank flange, then fit a closed end/sealed rivnut that you have inserted and sealed with fuel tank sealant. Then either use a bolt of the correct length or loctite a thread stud into the rivnut.

          Best of luck on this one, Benny.

          OJ.
          Seeing what this is turning out to be, a replacement of the fuel tank is the logical option. Will scour around some wreckers and if that fails will get a garage to look at it.

          Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

          Comment


          • #6
            If finances allow and it's worth it to you, maybe replace with the bigger ARB tank or even a custom made tank that has more capacity
            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by dhula View Post
              If finances allow and it's worth it to you, maybe replace with the bigger ARB tank or even a custom made tank that has more capacity
              Great idea!

              ARB Frontier Poly replacement tank has 128lt capacity cost $1700 and $250 to fit (2019 price)

              OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
              MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dhula View Post
                If finances allow and it's worth it to you, maybe replace with the bigger ARB tank or even a custom made tank that has more capacity
                Brilliant advice, and am grateful for it.
                Finances are a bit controlled at the moment, so i am looking at a tank from a wrecker to replace with.
                Mitsubishi Pajero NT Platinum 2010

                Comment

                Matched content

                Collapse
                Working...
                X