X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misleading fuel stickers

From ABC News.

Car makers already facing fines for 'misleading' fuel stickers

The testing problem has been complicated even further by a recent Supreme Court ruling in Victoria, which found Mitsubishi misled customers with its advertised fuel consumption.

Zelko Begovic bought a 2016 Mitsubishi Triton to replace the 2008 model he used for work, because it was advertised as having a better fuel economy than his old ute.

But he noticed through his fuel receipts that the car was consuming almost double what was advertised for suburban and highway driving.

​He took Mitsubishi to court, where it found the ute was using 9.3L/100km on extra urban roads, 2.5 litres more than advertised and worse than the fuel economy of his old ute.

The court found the ute's fuel consumption sticker was "misleading and deceptive", and Mr Begovic was refunded the $39,500 price of the car, because "in purchasing the vehicle, he did not get what was represented to him by the fuel label".

Mitsubishi is appealing the finding, but it is also now facing a possible class action lawsuit over the fuel stickers.

When the AAA took 30 of Australia's most popular cars out on the road a few years ago, it found on average they consumed 23 per cent more fuel than their official results.

While three of the 30 did what they said on the sticker, the worst performer (a diesel SUV), consumed 59 per cent more than it advertised.
    BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    Last edited by BruceandBobbi; 6 days ago.

Interesting. I highly doubt it's only Mitsubishi. I don't think I've ever gotten even close to the advertised figures in any of my cars despite driving like an old grannie.

But it's the same with anything like this isn't it? Anyone who shoots compound bows knows the speeds they advertise are only achieved with conditions and components you can only get in a lab. I'm sure there are thousands of other examples out there

Comment

The full article.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-...ting/100698848

Comment

I think this one will get overturned. The fuel figures are displayed as per Federal Government regulations. ie the tests and results displayed are the tests that the Gov(possibly ADR's) require.
        They are never real world as they are done the same way for each and every manufacturer in a lab(IIRC)...which never replicates real world.
        It's a way of leveling the field so that each manufacturers results correlate to each other, even though it's not the actual figure that one gets using it in the real world.
        SOLD at 150k's - 2011 NT Platinum Diesel auto. Wheels and tyres, cav filter, caddy storage/ausguard barrier and icom IC-440N. NoLimit Tuning Chip. T13 Bullbar. Other stuff when money allows.

NOW - 2016 MQ Triton Exceed - All the TJM fruit re barwork and suspension, TJM canopy, twin diff locks OEM rear and Harrop front, breathers, rhinorack, eco foxwing

Comment

Yeah, good point shawty950. I did know that and it didn't enter my consciousness

Comment

Honda do the opposite and underestimate their economy and power figures.
            02 NM Pajero 3.2 DID Auto with Snorkel, Turbosmart Dual Stage Boost Controller, Kinugawa 15T Hybrid turbo with 56mm Billet compressor wheel and extended tips, 3” straight through turbo back exhaust, EGR Removal, ECU Piggyback Chip, Raw Nitro shockies, 22” Black Rhino wheels with Black Bear A/T tyres, EGT, boost and engine temp gauges, catch can, Synergy 4b Ronbox, K&N air filter, 320x300 Front mount intercooler with 3” polished inlet piping, 4 Bar MAP sensor @29psi many other mods

Comment

As previously posted, the figures are based on fixed testing under lab conditions. One of the greatest variables is the operator.
              2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Comment

Original case was in 2019.
                Was appealed last year.
                Mitsubishi lost the appeal.
                Some would say they did a very poor job in court. Failed to provide "experts", and failed to provide appropriate evidence to contest the original claims.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bdJ0UATlte2fYr
                PCOV Member 1107.
                Daily driver NX GLX
                Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

If you want to see amazing fuel consumption figures get on some of the farcebook Pajero forums. I,ve seen people claim 10litres per 100klm towing 2.5 tonne vans.....must be really efficient motors or 70klms was pure downhill coasting.........

Too many rely on what their trip computer and fuel readout says...100klms is only 95 klms in real world. 100klms per hour is really 95kph. I notice that if my revs go over 2000 then fuel starts to rise at a greater rate.
                  Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
                  Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by pharb View Post
                    Original case was in 2019.
                    Was appealed last year.
                    Mitsubishi lost the appeal.
                    Some would say they did a very poor job in court. Failed to provide "experts", and failed to provide appropriate evidence to contest the original claims.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...bdJ0UATlte2fYr

This is not having a shot at MM as all vehicle manufactures DNA matches.

A very poor job? When you consider the below taken from the transcript you could see MM were clutching at straws.

Mr C Carpenter (from MM) gave evidence about the joint testing conducted on 9 August 2018 at which
                    he was present. He disputed that the results were accurate. He said that Mr Begovic spilt
                    petrol on the ground when filling the car after each test and this made the fuel consumption
                    look higher. But the spillage was no more than half a cup of fuel.

Comment

Yep. Mitsubishi have been fined for complying with the law.

The official fuel consumption figures displayed on the stickers are derived from mandatory emissions tests - conducted in a laboratory under strict conditions. They've always been a joke, but your average mug punter has no idea, and your average car sales rep probably has even less idea. And if course, which sales person would point to the sticker and say "That's garbage - don't believe that!"
                      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

When I purchased the NS in 2007 the salesperson happily said it has a heater on the nearside cargo window. It does? We all know it isn't a heater.

Comment

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi
                          When I purchased the NS in 2007 the salesperson happily said it has a heater on the nearside cargo window. It does? We all know it isn't a heater.
                          Lol. A heater that also functions as an aerial! 🤣ffs

Comment

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                            Yep. Mitsubishi have been fined for complying with the law.

The official fuel consumption figures displayed on the stickers are derived from mandatory emissions tests - conducted in a laboratory under strict conditions. They've always been a joke, but your average mug punter has no idea, and your average car sales rep probably has even less idea. And if course, which sales person would point to the sticker and say "That's garbage - don't believe that!"
                            90kmh on a treadmill... everyone knows to add 25%, even more if you drive hard...

if I drive my NS like a baby empty at 80kmh with the converter locked I can see 8.5, now put me in Istanbul traffic trying to push 80, 13-14 average. otherwise Ill be honest, it does 12.4 per 100, weather it be loaded or not.
                            07 Mitsubishi Pajero Shorty - Currently rolling around... somewhere in the middle east I think..

Insta: https://www.instagram.com/wrongturnadventure/

Comment

my stock nx did well with average 10 (mixed town and highway), too bad I cant sue MMAL. If I want to get refund, I can sell it rightway with extra 2000 dollars after 2 years ownership
                              My20 Nx Gls Graphite | Tow Bar| Plates Sum,Trans&Rear| Munji Egr| Provent Catch Can| Automate Pro| Rock Slider| Paddle Shift| 265 70 r17 Goodyear Silenttrac| Koni 90&88 plus Kings

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X