Filling the auxiliary tank (diesel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling the auxiliary tank (diesel)

I had an LRA 60L tank fitted to my NT by ARB earlier in the year, just in time for the hike in fuel prices, it was filled as part of the installation. As the vehicle gets little use outside touring duties, it was a while before I filled up. The main tank spat back and cut out badly and required the filler nozzle to be at an unusual angle (about 8 o'clock) pointing upwards for anything to go in at all. It appeared to fill, but in reality couldn't be filled past 3/4. This was the case for three out of four pumps I used during 4000km of touring, a right PITA. I was thinking that there was a restriction or kink in the line, but at the second last fuel stop, I had to use the (large diameter) high flow pump. The tank filled like a dream, dumped the fuel straight in, I repeated the exercise at another servo, same result. Haven't got a clue why but am happy being able to use the high flow bowsers. Anyone have any idea what's causing the issue with regular bowsers? There's no issue filling the auxiliary tank.

I have problems filling the original tank at times. Some pumps just don't want to work and click off no matter how little fuel I try and add. It's not all pumps, just some but it did happen a lot on a trip over to WA and I got in to the habit of transferring fuel from the aux tank to the main tank before getting to the roadhouse or garage. Then I could fill the aux tank which never seems to have a problem. My aux is a 58L LRA tank.
    2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, Paddle shift kit, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S, Alpine iLX-702D head unit.

Comment

I have the 81L LRA auxiliary tank. I use the same method as Ian, I fill the main tank from the aux and fill the aux at the bowser. The other thing I do - and this helps fill either tank - is to try and have the Paj on the downhill where this is possible. It is always easier to fill when the Paj is nose down. This becomes even more important if the Paj is heavily loaded or when I'm towing. On occasions I have actually had to unhitch the camper so that I can fill the Paj's main tank. My mate with a Prado shakes his head at the antics I sometimes need to perform to fill the Paj. This is surely a design flaw that should have been addressed years ago. BTW, if you can get the first 5-10 litres in, then the rest becomes much easier, at least in my experience.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

I have found that some diesels foam much more than others. Those that do make it much harder to fill the tank. I wonder if the high flow (truckie) diesel is not the same diesel as the regular (car) diesel and doesn't foam as much? I've found that the BP ultimate diesel foams the least.

Comment

I have found with foaming diesel that if I put the nozzle in as far as it can go, and lift it then as high as I can, the fuel seems to flow better. As said, if I can get the first 5 L or so into the tank, it will go much faster. Even with hi-flow nozzle, it takes it easily once it all gets going. I did pull into a truck diesel pump at Taree once, and set up to fill, only to find that the nozzle was so big it could barely fit into the filler pipe. Now that fill took a lot of effort. Where possible, I use a hi-flow (regular) nozzle to fill my tank, but the last4L or so take a bit of effort to get it in. BTW, this is all for a standard tank filler setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Mundy55
            I have found that some diesels foam much more than others. Those that do make it much harder to fill the tank. I wonder if the high flow (truckie) diesel is not the same diesel as the regular (car) diesel and doesn't foam as much? I've found that the BP ultimate diesel foams the least.
            Funny you should mention that, the three fills, one regular pump and 2xtruck pumps were all BP. While transferring to top up the main tank is an option, if you want to utilise the full range it's still a bit tedious given the 2L per minute transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza999 View Post
              I had an LRA 60L tank fitted to my NT by ARB earlier in the year, just in time for the hike in fuel prices, it was filled as part of the installation. As the vehicle gets little use outside touring duties, it was a while before I filled up. The main tank spat back and cut out badly and required the filler nozzle to be at an unusual angle (about 8 o'clock) pointing upwards for anything to go in at all. It appeared to fill, but in reality couldn't be filled past 3/4. This was the case for three out of four pumps I used during 4000km of touring, a right PITA. I was thinking that there was a restriction or kink in the line, but at the second last fuel stop, I had to use the (large diameter) high flow pump. The tank filled like a dream, dumped the fuel straight in, I repeated the exercise at another servo, same result. Haven't got a clue why but am happy being able to use the high flow bowsers. Anyone have any idea what's causing the issue with regular bowsers? There's no issue filling the auxiliary tank.

I also have a 60 litre LRA aux tank on my NT diesel & have had no problems filling either tank.

I think it sounds like you have something wrong with yours.

Perhaps the filler hose is kinked a little causing a bit of restriction?

Comment

Filled up earlier in the week and noticed that the BP fuel was unusually soapy meaning what should have taken 5 min to fill to the top of the pipe actually took more like 15 min and the soap must have been the same with the other ultimate pump as the guy on the other side was complaining trying to fill his ranger...

Seems to be hit & miss down here in the Lower South East of SA, some days its like washing up liquid and others it's like greasy kero.. what's makes you wonder is that 99% of the fuel comes from the very same supplier K&S with only 2 individual (Mathews & Endeavour both out of Gippsland Vic) suppliers trying to shake up the monopoly held by K&S.
                All the gear and some idea.....
                MY15 NX GLS, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Ironman Steel Bar, Kaon Intercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 1220, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (all rear glass) ........
                Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

Originally posted by Wazza999 View Post
                  Funny you should mention that, the three fills, one regular pump and 2xtruck pumps were all BP. While transferring to top up the main tank is an option, if you want to utilise the full range it's still a bit tedious given the 2L per minute transfer.
                  Not all BPstations have the "Ultimate" fuel, particularly the more remote stations. Truckie diesel is not that, AFAIK.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X