nm v6 simpson qaa/french line fuel usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nm v6 simpson qaa/french line fuel usage

Exploroz suggests about 140l for a petrol v6, who has done this trip in the v6 paj and would the standard tank and a 60l aux tank do, some experts say up to 200l depending on conditions.
    dean
    NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

There are many variables to be taken into account. The load you're carrying, the age of your vehicle, how soft the sand is are just three that you should be aware of. The good thing about the exploroz site is that it does give a pretty good estimate of what you'll use. The average is about 135 kms which comes very close to your capacity. From the sound of it I'd carry one extra jerry, just in case. If you don't use it at least you'll have the advantage of having bought it at Birdsville prices as opposed to Mt Dare. When I did the Simpson last year, the guy with me (Hilux) estimated that he'd used 130L of ULP and this was in very soft conditions.

Comment

Smaller and lighter vehicle, but I did Mt Dare to Birdsville, via Rig Road & WAA line, 600km on 95 litres. Rig road was definitely easier on fuel, the (softer) WAA stretch was using noticeably more. I think the French Line is softer, so I would expect higher fuel consumption, but I think it's a little shorter.

If your NM is auto, I think you could be cutting it fine. Carry a jerry can.

If you have a manual, and are travelling with others, I'd be more inclined to wear the risk. If you can carry the jerry easily, do it.

Enjoy the trip,

Scott
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

We did it in an NM 3.5 5 speed although we did sections of all three lines. We carried 140L in the tanks and a 20L jerry. We had several other vehicles with us for a contingency though. It was heavily loaded including a roof rack and we gave it a fair bit across the desert (blasting up the dunes is fun!). We went from Mt Dare to Birdsville and had just under 1/2 the front tank left. Conditions were considered "very soft" that year. We had dropped the jerry into it once we used a bit off the tank just to get the fuel out of the can.

No problems to report. A V8 LC100 with us used about 160L. A stock DID with us used about 100L. Sevral diesel LC's had trouble with the soft sand and lack of torque. Paj got stuck once due to being too close to the Patrol in front of me that also got bogged. After that and with correct tyre pressures it was unstoppable, including Big Red. Hae a nice photo of the NM snatching a locked and lifted LC100 over the top.
        16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
        10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

thanks all,
          had a play on big red last week and the paj coped well, plenty who could not make it, we were light though, sounds like a long range + 1 jerry will do.
          dean
          NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

DiD uses 110L doing west to east - French/WAA/French/QAA
            --
            Marquis
            SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

G Day Dean,
              Probly not much use for you now but for others, I used 135 Lts from Mt Dare, Rig road, up past lone gum tree, east on WAA and then up to Frenchline, QAA line , Birdsville pub:beer V6 3.5lt NM, fully loaded, Standard fuel tank, 3 Jerrys, but also had 70 lts of gas(didn't use). Just ran on unleaded. Also 80 Lts water, etc. Did 605kms, around 22lts per 100km. Patrol 3.0 TD with us used [email protected] 19 per 100km, so I thought the Paj did rather well.
              Kev

On top of Red.
              2000 NM,Duel Fuel, 50mm Lift, ARB Bar,Ironman 12000lb Winch, Lightforce spots, Cooper ST's 265/75, 285/75 MT Baja Claws on Gu Rims, Milford, Drawer system, Dual Batteries, 60lt Engel, Carputer with 8 inch touch screen. Beer, Wife, Kids and sometimes dogs.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X