Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in Diesel?

Hi guys,

The warning indicator lamp for water in the diesel came on on the Mrs 3.2 Di-D last week. I drained the water form the filter & all seemed good. It came back on again the next day so I ordered a new the filter just in case - thanks Wayne for great delivery. The old filter was only about 15k old. Decided to change the filter last night & all seemed good. Thought I better turn it over before I leave for work this morning just to be sure & what do you know the bloody light is on again. Luckily we have use of another car for a while. I filled it up last week at my local Woolies/Caltex as usual. The only difference was the Mrs had let it get a bit lower than usual - apparently the light was on for a "little while". It only goes through a tank every 3-5 weeks so she doesn't drive it that much.

Could I just have junk coming through or should I look at getting the tank drained? Anyone know of any quality additives out there that can safely absorb the water from diesel? The fact I have a new filter on it & it was fine last night but no good this morning suggests to me water rather than contamination.

Cheers,
    Lance
    '02 NM GLS Man Di-D, 40mm Lift, EFS Coils, HD Front, SD & Polyairs in Rear, EFS Elite Struts & Shocks, Bushskinz Intecooler & Sump Guard, ARB Awning, Rhino 2500 Multi Fit Aero Bars.

I'd be more thinking either:

1: the plug fitting is dodgy

2: the level sensor is binding/sticking.

Before going to the enormous trouble of draining tanks etc, take a sample.

When the light comes on, drain the water trap bowl into a clean jar, let it sit and check visually for contamination.

I almost guarantee point 2 is your issue. The fact you changed the filter has little to do with it.

Any auto shop sells water dispersant product. What is best?
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

I have to agree with sharkcaver's explanation.
      If you go down the path of needing to add an additive i recommend a product called F10 manufactured by ICT.
      I have been using it as a fuel treatment for the last 7 years with great results.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
        When the light comes on, drain the water trap bowl into a clean jar, let it sit and check visually for contamination.
        Yep, this is exactly what I would be doing.
        If the water in fuel indicator is lit and you drain the filter and find the fuel to be clean, you don't have to panic.
        If you do find water in your fuel, don't start your engine again, dig out your receipt for purchasing the fuel and contact the servo in question. With proof of purchase, they should pay the bill to get your Paj towed away, tank drained and refilled.
        Cheers, Dan.
        2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

there are a number of products out there and most work well, the f10 as already mentioned, you v=can also get one called biozed but that is very pricey or your local autobarn etc should be able to order a product called fuel doctor which also works well.

also agree with other comment that you should actually check to make sure it is water and not just the sensor sticking.
          Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
          Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Thanks Guys,

Didn't even consider an issue with sensor. I will drain some tonight & check it out.

Thanks,
            Lance
            '02 NM GLS Man Di-D, 40mm Lift, EFS Coils, HD Front, SD & Polyairs in Rear, EFS Elite Struts & Shocks, Bushskinz Intecooler & Sump Guard, ARB Awning, Rhino 2500 Multi Fit Aero Bars.

Comment

Originally posted by olesp View Post
              I have to agree with sharkcaver's explanation.
              If you go down the path of needing to add an additive i recommend a product called F10 manufactured by ICT.
              I have been using it as a fuel treatment for the last 7 years with great results.
              I have been using F10 since new 70k ago and have filled up at some very ordinary out back stations and have never had a fuel issue....www.fourwheelsoffroad.com
              2011 NT RX 3.2DiD.ARB Winch Bar,Avenger 9500lb Winch,ARB Lockers,OME 2' Lifted Suspension,Poly Airs,58lt LRA Tank, Redarc Dual Battery Kit,Snorkel,Rock Sliders,GME UHF TX3340,265/70R17 MTZ's,Full Under Body Protection,48lt S/S Water Tank,HID Spot Lights,LED Light Bar,Custom Made Rear Draws,Diff Breathers,Diesel Smart Module,B&M Tranny Cooler,Dual Wheel Carrier,Rear,Camp Light,In Dash GPS,Coupler Tech,Tyre Monitors,Scan Gauge,3' Manta Exh,HPD InterCooler,RhinoRack etc

Comment

Well guys as suggested it doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the diesel, a couple of photo's attached. 1 taken after I drained it from the filter last night, the other taken this morning - don't look at the crap on top of my shed fridge . They look identical to me & I can't see any evidence of water, there also doesn't appear to be any other contamination in there either. I took a photo from underneath this morning but for some reason it didn't work.

I think I just panicked a bit & didn't think this through properly. I live mid way up NSW & it's spring so I don't know why I jumped to the conclusion about the water.

I think it should be OK to drive?

Does anyone have info on how to troubleshoot a sticky sensor? I'll check the plug hasn't come loose or have any loose wires.

If it's the plug I might see if I can get 1 from a wrecker or get a price off MM for a new sensor though that may scare the shit out of me.

Thanks for all the feedback guys,
                Lance
                Attached Files

Comment

That fuel looks as clean as a whistle Lance. You should be feeling very relieved right now!
                  If there was any water present, you would see it at the bottom of the jar.
                  As an experiment, you could always tip a small amounbt of water into one of the jars and you will then know what you should be looking for.
                  In my opinion, you are very much safe to keep driving your Paj.
                  Obviously you do want to fix the water sensor issue sooner rather than later though.
                  Cheers, Dan.
                  2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Hi Lance,

Looks nice and clean. Check the below link to see what the water in my filter looked like. With this amount the water indicator light didn't even come on!!! I just test periodically now, especially if filling up somewhere new or traveling.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=27437

Cheers,
                    James
                    07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

Just to update this, the light seems to be staying out now. Pretty sure it wasn't the fuel. I double checked everything on Friday arvo & it all seemed ok. The Mrs was driving on Friday with no light issues. Hopefully it was just a sticky level sensor.

It definitely looks better than what you got from yours James. I don't know what the 1st 3 lots looked like but it must have had a pretty high concentration of diesel because I know have less weeds through my pavers.

Thanks for the help,
                      Lance
                      Last edited by LVB; 11-11-13, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X