Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E10/(ULP 91) vs 95/96 vs 98

Hi Guys,

Could you please advise which petrol type is better for Pajero? I have 2002 GLS NM (auto - petrol). I have been using ULP91 for the most of the time.

Some people say that with premium petrol you can increase mpg on the car and its better for engine too and some say it wouldn't make any difference.

Any recommendation?
    Pajero 2002 GLS NM (Auto - Petrol)

It depends on what the car is tuned for. I don't know about the paj but our focus petrol had fuel economy of around 8.5L/100kms on 91. At the first service ford recommended premium, I filled it with 98 on the way home and I'll never go back. So much smoother, quieter and slightly more responsive. Fuel economy now sits around 7-7.5L/100kms.

Definitely wouldn't recommend e10. I put in e10 100 octane at a similar price to 98 from bp or caltex and economy was horrendous with no increase in performance. Ethanol has a lower btu per unit compared to normal petrol hence the increased fuel usage.

I'd recommend reading your owners manual to work out what mm recommend.
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

The pajero is not multi fuel intelligent so you will see substantial fuel economy difference between fuels.
      High compression engines(10:1+) are best suited to 98 which gives much better fuel eco and the engine runs noticeably better. Everything else is better suited to 95 and can also run 91 or E10 but I think you'll find like most others including me that you get poor eco from E10 and 91.

98 does nothing for my 3.5ltr NL and my 3ltr NK, everything works out the same as 95(only ever run 95 or 98 in the NL).
      In my NK I have tried all of the fuels, 91 and E10 gave very poor economy, I lost around 1ltr/100km. The 100plus (or is it 100+..?) from mobile united(100 octane 10% ethanol blend) was no different from the 98.
      Don't quote me on the name of the mobile stuff, there is a 100plus and a 100+, one is E10 and the other is E85 but both are a bit over 100octane.
      97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
      97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

in my previous 2 petrol cars, i found there was always a differnce in economy. But as a dollar per km figure they all worked out similar, with 95 giving the best value.
        NT ACTIV 2010 DID Manual

Comment

I found my NP ran ok on 91 but was designed to run on 95+.
          So much smoother. A little more power and better fuel eco.
          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

for your model [ 2002 ] i would stay using the average unleaded fuel not the E-10 as economy and performance does suffer abit aswell as the sparkplugs seem to become rather white around the electrodes. forget the expensive premium unleaded as this is just a rip off fuel and seems to be mainly for higher performance vehicles like the ferrari etc.
            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

We used to run our NM on E10 for a little while (about 3 months) and I'll say that I'll never do that again. Fuel economy wasn't hugely different, but the way the car ran was. It became less responsive and lost a bit of low end torque, not that it has all that much anyway. Power delivery lost its smoothness, it almost felt like it had a slight miss.

We switched to premium (we started off with regular 91) and have never looked back. We have tried both 95 and 98 and you cant tell the difference around town, however it has a bit better up hill pull on the highways with the 98. Economy is about the same between them. Is it worth the extra for the 98 over the 95? Probably not, especially around town, but on the highway the car seems to go that bit better.

My 2 bobs worth.
              Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

Interesting post, I have 89 Paj V6 always just chucked 91ron. She's done over 300,000 k's. Have noticed that different brands. i.e.. Shell, BP and the others seem to make a little difference in the performance. What I mean by that BP seems to run a bit smoother. Anyway would using say 95ron be any better in performance or better fuel economy for an old girl like mine?
                Robin.
                Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
                To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Comment

Hi, did notice a difference, with my 98 Challenger V6,233,000 klms, when I changed from 95. To Caltex 98. On 95 averaged 12.5/13 per100 to average 11/11.5 per100. Save about $10 per tank using the 98.

whitehillbillies
                  Last edited by whitehillbillies; 12-12-13, 07:34 PM. Reason: wrong klms

Comment

My avg is 17-18.5/100L...for ULP91...this seems really bad...

Comment

Originally posted by AbhiC View Post
                      My avg is 17-18.5/100L...for ULP91...this seems really bad...
                      That is a bit high, my 3.5 is around 15 lph for around town driving, and can go to mid-high 11's for highway. I generally use 98 in mine

I would suggest giving your MAF a clean and check air filter is clean. Try using 95 for a few tanks and see if it gets any better.

Do you have any accessories fitted?
                      Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

No accessories, no modification...

I will try 95 for few fills and 98 after that to check the progress.

Comment

Yeah way too high for unmodified unless you have an obscenely heavy right foot (V6 is VERY thirsty if you hammer it everywher). Mine used to get 12-15 (11 highway on a good day) when I bought it. Muddies, rooftop and lift have raised it to around 15-18.
                          MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
                          Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

I do admit I have heavy right foot. But not to that extent.... Would you think transmission mode makes any difference? I heard from few people that auto sucks more juice compared to manuals

Comment

I highly doubt it would be that much.
                              Cheers, Bundy.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X