DID towing economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DID towing economy

hi every one i am after some feed back on any one who has a did paj and has towed a caravan or trailer with the wieght around 2500kg. also did it have enough power? cheers

DiD & towing

G'day Zacc, we have an 04NP Did auto. In 2005 we towed a caravan up north of WA for a holiday, around 2100kg weight. Without too much fine detail, we reckon that normally we would get a range of 950 - 1000km on a tank of diesel (std 95lt) while we were towing it averaged about 750km/tank. This took in the whole range of speeds, prevailing winds etc, all on the blacktop though due to the van. Crusing speed does affect fuel useage dramatically, usually cruised at 90-95 km hr and kept an eye on traffic i.e. pull over if your holding it up. Pushing up to 110km hr + with 2 tonnes on the back is not good for fuel economy ! We varied speed per tank to check on consumption and have a reasonable guide.
    Power , plenty. Just have to take your time getting up to speed, used the auto box the whole time without problems. You do need to give yourself a bit of a run up to pass slower traffic. Had a few problems with vehicle trim even with a WDH on in some uneven places up north but reducing speed was the fix.
    We now tow a camper trailer that only weighs 1000kg, and have had the rear springs upgraded. Hardly know it is on the back compared to the caravan.

Comment

thanks for that . what is a wdh?

Comment

Towing with a DID

WDH = Weight distribution hitch.

I have an 05DID (the one with the #*$&$ sat / nav) and I used to have a Jayco 18' pop top (approx 1800 kgs). I had towed it behind a 4.2 Nissan auto and got 28l/100k on petrol and 34l/100k on gas. It struggled to hold 90k and was usually wanting a gear in between the gears available. Moved to the DID auto (when towing use the tiptronic) and consumption dropped to 14l/100k and was able to hold the posted speed limit without issue. Also held a fairly easy 90ks south out of Ourimbar near Sydney (the Nissan could only do 60Kph flat out).

Now I tow a 23' Jayco with Club lounge (appox 2400kgs loaded). More room inside plus ensuite. I notice this van more (moves a bit) but still travel along very well. I sit 90-95kph and get 14-18l/100k depending on how hard I push. Power is not an issue ( I could do 100+ out of it, but don't feel comfortable with this much weight behind me). With this one, I'm still doing 80-85 up Ourimba.

Cheers
        NS Exceed DiD auto, Mousebar, Headlights and Cibie Oscars with HID bulbs

Comment

I total agree with Futsal/1st, I tow 22ft van 2300 using 04 did auto consumption will depend much on road and weather conditions wind etc. 14.5 to 19 /100km. I had problems with my van due to position of the axles to close to the centre of the van which made the van very sensitive to weight distribution. I could tell the difference if I had a spare hanging on the back of the rear bar. The most important issue is have 10% down weight on the tow bar, AFter a lot messing around fixed the problem. The main item which I would recommend to anyone with a large van is the use of Anti Sway bars not to be confused with WDH. They act to remove the uncontrolled sideways movement of the ball joint. As far as power goes no problems
          regards Garfield

Comment

Gee, now I want a DID too!

Originally posted by garfield View Post
            ... I had problems with my van due to position of the axles to close to the centre of the van which made the van very sensitive to weight distribution. I could tell the difference if I had a spare hanging on the back of the rear bar....
            I've got the opposite problem. Axle is too far back. Too much ball weight. 210kg ball weight on an 1600-1800kg van. I'm thinking of putting an extra spare wheel on the back and bike racks.

Originally posted by garfield View Post
            ... The main item which I would recommend to anyone with a large van is the use of Anti Sway bars not to be confused with WDH. They act to remove the uncontrolled sideways movement of the ball joint.
            What are they? Do you have a link?
            1999 3.5 NL Exceed Auto, Adelaide, South Australia

Comment

Originally posted by keith h View Post
              What are they? Do you have a link?
              Hayman Reese.

Click on Products->Sway Controllers

I have one on my 2000kg Tandem Caravan and it is excellent.

Peter
              2012 NW Platinum DiD, 2" Lift, Bar & Winch, Driving Lights, Dual Battery, Snorkel.

Soon to be Ex- 2002 NM Exceed 3.2DiD, Lifted, PSI Powerbox, Bullbar, HID Driving Lights.

Comment

Thanks Peter.

I thought they had gone out of vogue. Are they making a recovery?
                1999 3.5 NL Exceed Auto, Adelaide, South Australia

Comment

Keith h,
                  They have been around for a long time, the yanks use them a lot due to larger trailers they use. The products is made my Reese of America which the local Hayman Reese on sells.
                  regards Garfield

Comment

anti-sway & economy

[Hope this is relevant to ZACC?s original thread]

Just an opinion here?.seems to me if you have to use anti-sway bars, you?re hiding a problem that should be eliminated by a correctly set-up van, with a weight distribution hitch, and a minimum of 10% of the mass on the tow-ball. Am I missing something? I only tow about 1200Kg. Maybe the big stuff doesn?t track as well?

Just an aside: I get same economy average towing at speed limits, as I do [no van] around town. 11.4L/100K [uncorrected for odometer error] Have Avan Cruiseliner. I love the comfort of a big van on-site??but for towing, economy, storing, cleaning, I think smaller is better, if only for two, & long distance stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Avanner View Post
                      [Hope this is relevant to ZACC?s original thread]

Just an opinion here?.seems to me if you have to use anti-sway bars, you?re hiding a problem that should be eliminated by a correctly set-up van, with a weight distribution hitch, and a minimum of 10% of the mass on the tow-ball. Am I missing something? I only tow about 1200Kg. Maybe the big stuff doesn?t track as well?
                      The bigger the van the bigger the surface area to be drawn in/out when large vehicles pass you, I use WDH and anti sway when towing 21' van ( 2300Kg) to correct this problem and it does have correct ride height and 10% on ball. as for economy 15/100 towing at 95-100k's with auto DID
                      Muzza
                      Muzza
                      2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                      2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                      2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X