Dakar Rally 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dakar Rally 2022

I have followed the Paris to Dakar Rally since the late 1970's. Like most motorsport in the 60's, 70's and 80's the vehicles competing where basic production specification with only minor modifications, but as with any motorsport the influx of serious money and a lot of R&D means that todays Dakar vehicles are so far away from production vehicles they are barely any recognisable differences between manufacturers and the vehicle you can buy, except for the motorbikes.

In the Cars category Mitsubishi is the most successful manufacturer with almost twice as many stage wins and overall wins (150/12) than Peugeot (78/7) despite having only competed from 1985 to 2007, so it will take many years before Mitsubishi's record will be overtaken by another manufacturer.

One of the most history making moments from the Paris to Dakar for Mitsubishi, was in 2001 when Jutta Kleinschmidt become the first and only woman to win a Dakar Rally, and was driving a Pajero!

This years Dakar highlights on SBS has been worth watching for a number of reasons;

1, The coverage has been excellent including footage of previous Dakar's and the coverage of the classic class where previous competitor vehicles dating back over 30 years are still competing, including Mitsubishi's first win in 1985.

2. The Audi RS Q E-Tron hybrid 4wd Raid.

3. The GCK Hydrogen fuel cell 4wd Raid.

4. The Bahrain Extreme Team that is using Prodrive Eco Sport sustainable fuel that has 80% less emission than conventional unleaded fuel.

I especially love watching the footage of the suspension working so well, soft on compression and firm on rebound as the motorbikes, quads, SSV, LP, Cars and Trucks cover almost 7,000kms split in 12 stages over 13 days. The skill and strength of the motorbike riders is amazing, these riders do it very tough, also the skill of drivers, navigators and mechanics of the 4 or more wheeled vehicles is also outstanding. Speeds of up to 170kph over very tough roads, tracks and cross-country, test people and machines to their limit.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Yes OJ a pretty incredible race, that I also try to keep up with.
    Imagine competing in the Originals By Motul class where you have no outside assistance. You compete on the same track as everyone else then do all your own maintenance!
    Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 200k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 355k.

Comment

Having grown up on motorbikes, I particularly enjoy the motorbikes and the trucks as well. The cars hold no interest because they are one off specials and all seem the same! Many years ago we had a motorcycle race called the Castrol 6 Hour race at Oran Park . Strictly limited to motorbikes that were 100% stock standard. Best race ever. Unfortunately money saw rules changed and the race eventually died. Just like all sports...money ruins it in the end. Some stunning scenery in the Dakar race and all competitors must be a little crazy!!
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
      Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

I have enjoyed following the Dakar, for quite a few years, but agree that it's great to see hybrid and hydrogen vehicles being tested under what are extreme conditions. Audi engineers will no doubt be gathering vast amounts of data. The resources of the Volkswagen group will see this channeled into production vehicles.

But for sheer motorsport entertainment, the trucks are the go! The image of a big Kamaz airborne over a sand dune is hard to beat.
        2016 NX GLS Factory alloy bar, Provent 200 catch can, Boos bash plates (full set), Stedi light bar, 40 litre Waeco, Titan fridge slide, Kings springs, Dunlop ATG3s, Auto-mate, Ultragauge, Uniden 8080s, more to come...

Comment

Dicko: Some stunning scenery in the Dakar race and all competitors must be a little crazy!!
          The competitors in the Dakar are not a little crazy - they are utterly mad! A few years ago, my wife and I accidentally landed in Alice Springs on the week of the June long weekend and tried to get a caravan site. We got the last (very small) site in the third van park we tried. The park was full of Finke Desert racers. Fascinating to see the vehicles - they really are hi tech units in very home-made looking chassis.

Naturally, I got to talk with a few of the guys and one was a mid fifty year old man who had done the previous 8 Finke races on his motor bike. I asked him how he felt about the race, and he replied "I am looking forward to it - I cannot wait to start. But tomorrow after about 2 hours, I will be wondering what the hell I am doing here". He said it took him about 5 hours to do the race each way. Seeing them after the race, they were utterly stuffed and a few of them were muttering about that being the last time. But I bet they were there the following year...

A few days after the race, we drove out to Chambers Pillar from the Stewart Wells Roadhouse. Some of the road picked up the Finke race track. The winner of the race had driven the distance (about 280 km) in just over 2 hours. He then flew back to Alice and did the race over again on a motor bike. The next day they all came back to Alice, and again he flew back to Finke and did the run again on the motor bike. That alone would have been a feat, but the section of the track that we saw - I would not drive faster than 50 km/h on it, so there must have been a lot of other sections where they could really open up the throttle to make up the time. Those guys have BALLS.

Comment

Originally posted by erad View Post
            Dicko: Some stunning scenery in the Dakar race and all competitors must be a little crazy!!
            The competitors in the Dakar are not a little crazy - they are utterly mad! A few years ago, my wife and I accidentally landed in Alice Springs on the week of the June long weekend and tried to get a caravan site. We got the last (very small) site in the third van park we tried. The park was full of Finke Desert racers. Fascinating to see the vehicles - they really are hi tech units in very home-made looking chassis.

Naturally, I got to talk with a few of the guys and one was a mid fifty year old man who had done the previous 8 Finke races on his motor bike. I asked him how he felt about the race, and he replied "I am looking forward to it - I cannot wait to start. But tomorrow after about 2 hours, I will be wondering what the hell I am doing here". He said it took him about 5 hours to do the race each way. Seeing them after the race, they were utterly stuffed and a few of them were muttering about that being the last time. But I bet they were there the following year...

A few days after the race, we drove out to Chambers Pillar from the Stewart Wells Roadhouse. Some of the road picked up the Finke race track. The winner of the race had driven the distance (about 280 km) in just over 2 hours. He then flew back to Alice and did the race over again on a motor bike. The next day they all came back to Alice, and again he flew back to Finke and did the run again on the motor bike. That alone would have been a feat, but the section of the track that we saw - I would not drive faster than 50 km/h on it, so there must have been a lot of other sections where they could really open up the throttle to make up the time. Those guys have BALLS.
            About 10 years ago I received a gold pass to the Finke race ( I,d help set up the comms). Bloody cold, thats for sure. Met many competitors. Some sane-many mad..lol Great race and a great week. It was so cold that I couldn't even drink the free beer! One sip and straight to the toilet to pee it out....give me warm weather any day.
            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
            Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Toby Price was the guy who did the Finke on a bike as well as a car a few years back- He has won Dakar twice, so is definately not a slouch on the bikes. Australia has some really great similar events, although not on the same scale as Dakar though too. Other than the Finke, we have things like the condo 750 and the Sunraysia Safari. I have been lucky to compete in both of these events a number of times. Unfortunately we dont seem to have too many safari/cross country rally events like this anymore. In the past there was always the Australian Safari, the old Mallee Rally at Sealake around Lake Tyrell, or even some of the 'special' Around Australia Events which although in later years resembled nothing close to their originals in the 60s.

Even so, with these events there are still some pretty special cars out there which would be more than at home in Dakkar, and in fact a few of them have been previously at the event. Steve Riley took his commodore ute to the last Dakar in South America- quite a story! Especially when the scrutineers told him he had the wrong fire suppression system and he had to borrow $10k from a fellow competitor to get the right one!! Luke Olholm has also been quite amazing in the Century CR6 Buggy at events like the Sunraysia Safari following in his old man's footsteps as a competitive driver in the past. Geoff did several Dakkars over the years until injury prevents him from competing.

Personally, I would love to compete in a Dakkar, as long as someone else was paying the bills!!!

Steve Riley's commodore ute in action
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtPRryRg4PA

And to make a pajero link.... this is the car he used before he built the ute, I believe he used the basic chassis for the ute.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2MWNtESy7Y

Cheers
              Haggis
              Last edited by haggis; 1 week ago.
              92 NH GLS Pirahna dual battery system, Lightforce Blitz240 hid spots, cibie spreads, Bilstiens each corner, Lovells rear coils, custom drawer system, ARB roofrack, side awning, ARB twin jerry holder, MSA drop slide, GME TX3440, custom wiring harness for second battery.

Comment

Don't forget the Redex round Australia trials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt4DHzxkMWA

https://www.holtsauto.com/redex/news...stralia-trial/

And who could forget “Gelignite Jack”

https://www.whichcar.com.au/features...1947-ford-taxi

Comment

I'm really intrigued by the sustainable fuel, but apart from press releases I can't find any decent info

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X