thinking about buying a petrol paj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking about buying a petrol paj

Gday all, been checking a few pajero's the last few weeks.... started off looking at the new DIDs... very nice but a bit pricey (was looking at VRX and up). I had originally wanted to avoid the petrol driven paj but then came across a few second hand NP 2004 and 2005 exceeds. Mate these are seriously nice vehicles. Many people seem to have em and seem to be pretty happy with them. I don't know if it's going to be a mistake to purchase a petrol instead of waiting for a donk?!!

I'm curious to know what current petrol-owners think. I'd be novate-leasing it anyway so would anyway be paying for petrol with pre-tax money.

Cheers
    BT

Ok, I'm not a current petrol owner, but I was. Get the diesel. I was leasing the NM petrol and it made a real mess of the fuel budget even though we corrected it twice. The differnece in lease cost to the NP diesel was minimal for us and the torque of this motor is amazing. You just need to get used to the different noise it makes.
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Thanks for the feedback... I actually love the sound of diesel over petrol (... I currently own a landrover defender). It's only that I saw some second hand 3.8's in good nick and it got me thinking. I'm going to price up a GLX did.

Comment

If you were going to purchase a petrol then consider an LPG conversion. As long at it is an injected conversion (obligatory on 3.8 due to emission regs) then you won't have any problems. I have been running my 3.8 petrol on LPG for over 12 months without a hickup. Does depend on what you want to use the vehcile for. Due to family circumstances I mostly use my Paj on-road where LPG consumption is acceptable and fuel cost is very low. Off-road it can use considerably more and the location of the tank can affect the departure angle, but that is on pretty severe tracks. My two cents worth.
        Pajero MY05 Exceed, DVD / (infamous) Sat Nav, Petrol / Injected LPG, alloy bull bar, Blue Tongue compressor, Pirahna dual battery system, Cibie Oscar SC driving lights, UHF, Next G car kit, Waeco FF40, set Cooper ST's, cargo barrier and polyairs.

Comment

I have a V6 NP exceed. I don't mind the sound of the V6 and I don't mind not having smelly hands after refelling the car - as opposed to the oil burner. What I do mind is the lack of low down torque. Only just recently started to tow and now I'm really wishing I had the oil burner. Now all I have to do is convince the better half that it actually sounds OK.

For highway driving the fuel economy really isn't all that bad. Best I have gotten is 10.9l/100km and I average around the low 13's most of the time.

At the end of the day, it's way better than anything else in the market, be it oil burner or not. It's just what your going to use it for.

John
          Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

Have to agree with John I guess, although we never managed to return anything like those fuel figures with our 3.5. More like 16/100 average. The Paj is good. The DID even better (IMHO) but if I only had the inital outlay available to buy the petrol I would do so again. I'd just be more aware of the fuel costs.

Diesel smell on the hands isnt a big deal John when you only have to refill every 1,500km

Comment

good on ya fellas....

hang on a minute - are you saying that you can get 1500k's with a diesel? How bigs the tank? 90L??

Comment

My fuel figures are with me being vey light on the throttle, using mobil 1, just after to a full lube change, running on premium 98 and having a k&n filter. Bit of a false economy I know, but I am really happy with the fuel figures I can get out of her. Oh, and the tyre pressures are running in the low 40's.

John
                Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

Originally posted by bluetongue View Post
                  good on ya fellas....

hang on a minute - are you saying that you can get 1500k's with a diesel? How bigs the tank? 90L??
                  LRA aux tank - total of 140L of usable between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by bluetongue View Post
                    good on ya fellas....

Pat would be getting 1500kms using the LRA aux tank as well as the 90L. I think the LRA tank is approx 80L for the GLX.

Comment

I had the same dilemma BT.
                      Ended up leasing a late '03 3.8 auto Exceed;too good a deal to pass up.
                      I do some high country work but limited towing (light trailer only). I didn't like the noise of the diesel or the "feeling" that you are ringing its neck around town to nearly keep up with traffic.
                      That said, I often wish I had the diesel when in the bush and having traveled in a few diesels the feeling of ringing its neck was only my perception at the time.
                      Currently returning 15 to 18 l/100k's. Getting 15 most the time with limited in town running but not driving like Grandpa, up to 18 with more in town work and "enjoying" my driving a little more.I'm sure a "sensible" driver could manage 14 on a trip.
                      Lease is up in 18 months so first stop will be getting gas fitted.

I think each motor has its merit , depending on your intended use.
                      03 NP Pajero Exceed, OME lift, GME Tx3400,Cooper ATR's,Milford Cargo Barrier,Nightstalker 215's.... so far.
                      The only thing holding me back is my Minister of Finance

Comment

Originally posted by Endorphin View Post
                        Pat would be getting 1500kms using the LRA aux tank as well as the 90L. I think the LRA tank is approx 80L for the GLX.
                        Nah - I've only got the little one - about 55L usable. It is one of the first that LRA did before they came up with the bigger one. This is the third Paj it has been fitted to.

Pat

Comment

Diesel economy irrelevant!

Hi bluetongue????..as a happy DiD owner?.would like to give one opinion. Initial difference in purchase cost [diesel vs petrol] & on-going higher price of diesel probably wipes out the economic benefit of diesel. [What do others think of that claim?]

I would normally dismiss the differences in economy except for the fact you would have a novated lease [lucky bastard].

My preference is DiD big time, as I tow a van, but for some it?s simply a personal preference & the petrol models are great

Comment

I agree with Avanner, you will definately pay a premium on a second hand DiD. I just sold my NM DiD, one dealer offered me $24000 and another $26000 cash buy, not a trade in price. It was emaculate, I sold it privately for $29000 and could have sold it 5 times over. Dealers are paying about $18000 for petrol ones.
                            Maybe I got more for mine in WA because of the smaller market and the rarity of the DiD on the second hand market, anyway I love the DiD and will buy a new NS DiD next month.
                            Sandgroper.
                            NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

Welll what I've noticed is that there are hardly any 2nd hand did pajero's for sale (2004-2007).... plenty of petrol which is good cause you can screw the price down but bad because a few years down the track it'll be hard to sell. Oh man I guess it's all swings and roundabouts.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X