River crossings info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River crossings info

Just want to know whats to fast to cross, like to use the one in vid as a example, whats the difference between 3 foot deep and slow water and 2 foot deep and fast water, is the water in the vid fast medium, would you cross it, dont have a lot of experience with crossings just trying to gauge whats to fast.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTUv4_bmA7w
    Thanks Rick
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Mate, I'm no expert at all but I know that crossing and that is really flowing hard compared to normal, I would be thinking twice before crossing that. I normally cross the Howqua down at Bindaree Hut and it would be interesting to see the Bindaree Crossing with the water flowing like that. I have been crossing down there as I believe the Bluff Link track has been closed (still closed?) for some time, have been using 16 mile jeep track instead.
    2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

Bluff Link track is still closed from whats on the net, I think that water is a bit fast and just want others opinion we are thinking on going up that way and trying to get a feel for the water speed.
      Rick
      Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***

Comment

Most of the time you won't have a problem crossing the Upper Howqua, just be wary if it looks like that / after heavy rain. I crossed with the camper trailer in May, after light rain, no problem. If you have a few days, going in via Sheepyard, to Bluff Hut then back to 16 mile Jeep, across the Howqua at Bindaree Hut, to Bindaree Falls then one of several ways to Pineapple Flat is a great trip. A nice spot for a swim is Lake Cobbler. The King River at Pineapple Flat is nice for a dip now too. I do all that with tyres down at 18, nice and smooth and heaps of grip
        2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

General rule of thumb for water crossings if you have trouble standing in it then there is a good chance it could cause you problems crossing in a vehicle
          93 NJ Exceed 99 MK Triton dual cab
          "So many tracks and too little money"

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by oldbitz View Post
            General rule of thumb for water crossings if you have trouble standing in it then there is a good chance it could cause you problems crossing in a vehicle
            Agree; if you can't wade it, don't risk driving it!

Steve
            Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
            "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

Ok by the looks of that crossing I would not try to walk it.
              Thanks Rick

Comment

While I have crossed much deeper I would not cross that strength of current - particularly with the drop off to the right.

Pat
                16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
                10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Start this vid around 4:50 and watch the back ends kick out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks_e8TJf84Q

Admittedly these aren't Pajeros...
                  2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
                  My build thread on the to do list

Comment

This is how you do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi3nma-bDjU
                    2009 NT DiD Exceed, ARB Deluxe Bar, Lightforce Genesis HIDs, iCom IC-400pro, Milford Cargo Barrier, TJM Battery Tray & DBS, ARB Fridge,
                    P3 Brake Controller, D697 LT265/60R18, Lovells HD 50mm lift, Bilsteins.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich0 View Post
                      Start this vid around 4:50 and watch the back ends kick out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks_e8TJf84Q

Admittedly these aren't Pajeros...
                      Yeah at about 4.50 I dont think I would do that one unless I had to get over or had a few other cars with me, were they just doing it over and over ?
                      Rick

Comment

How does the driver even breathe .

Cheers

Comment

Don't think I want to try that with my NP - my snorkels not long enough and I wouldn't be able to hold my breath that long!!

Geoff
                          03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

well the brokes in the cruisers are good for the economy , should keep someones workshop busy for awhile a bit further down the track when the water has time to do damage to the gearbox , diff etc bearings , extended breathers wont always keep the water out
                            ND shorty 2.6, EFI, suspension lift , body lift ,fuel tank lift,6 point alloy cage, front bar & winch, upgraded front brakes, 35s"
                            NJ lwb 3l auto ,front bar HID driving lights, roof racks as required
                            International D1510 4WD 6bt cummins ,air bags 37"s etc

Comment

Maybe thats how YOU might do it, but somehow I dont think I'll try it in my NW

David - amazed at how they knew where they were going

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X