Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Pajero?

Hey everyone,
    Now that school's over, my dad and I have been looking around for a vehicle so I can take myself to Uni next year, and we're looking for a 4WD.
    Driving a 4WD to Uni of course isn't the most economical way to travel but I do want to be able to also use the car to do some light off-road driving (dirt/gravel tracks, sand) and some long-distance interstate driving.
    After driving my mum's NM Pajero for so long on my L's, naturally I couldn't think of getting any other car.
    I like the Pajero because of its comfort, handling and size. Also, the reliability. We've had our current NM for almost eight years now, and while still quite low on mileage (149,000km) it hasn't let us down at all. The only problems we had were quite easily fixed (thanks to this forum) - failed vacuum solenoids and old ignition leads.
    My original idea was to get my mother another car, so I can take her Paj and begin modifying it. However my dad thinks it's a better idea to buy another 4WD, already modified, so we could have two cars on a trip together (to snatch each other out... haha). Of course, I can't drive any V8 or turbocharged.

A few questions:
    Is it worth it to get another Pajero? Or should we look for a different make (so when something fails on one car, it's less likely to fail the same way on the other)
    Also, is it a good idea to buy modified? All we'd need would be bull bar, 2" lift, and appropriate tyres. Possibly a winch, spot/spread beam lights and a snorkel (not planning on any water crossings). Diff lock... well maybe not yet.
    Diesel/LPG/Petrol? (Not really important to me at the moment. We currently have a petrol 3.5L)

Thanks for reading. Regardless of what we end up with, I'll be sticking around on this forum for as long as my mum's silver shopping trolley sits on our driveway.
    Regards,
    Brian
    2002 Pajero NM Exceed V6
    No mods - yet.

Better the devil you know? NM Petrol Pajeros are an absolute bargain in my humble opinion. They are fairly solid and reliable and parts costs arent too bad if you shop online. If you look for a while you will pick up a good condition one for $10k to $12k. Maybe less, and it's a lot of car for those sort of $$$. If you have kept up with the Gen 3 section you will know what to look out for in terms of mechanical issues. The V6 has few foibles other than it likes a drink, plugs and plug leads and the occasional idler pulley. Insurance costs for you should not be too bad either.

Regarding modding it - Why not buy a blank slate and then enjoy the process of slowly building it up. An un-modded one wont have had a hard life off-road already. Then you can scan ebay etc for bits as they come up. You often see springs & shocks, Bullbars etc as people remove these before selling a vehicle and this will help you build it up on a uni budget. I reckon when you buy a pre-modified one you end up changing a pile of bits anyway when you decide you could have done it better!

Big thing to consider I think is your running costs. Unless Dad is helping out, a 4WD is expensive to run. Tyres and Fuel being the big ticket items followed by the bits you inevitably bend or break when off-road. Factor up to 18l/100km for the petrol and 13 for a diesel with some "youthful" driving, and a set of tyres every 40 to 50 thou at $1500, plus services, brake pads and the odd repair part. I have a 19 year old (and a good job) but I wouldnt contemplate sending her off to uni in a big 4WD. She gets a (once) tidy little little Lancer.
    16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
    10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

if your going to be on a low/zero income and stuggling to have money to enjoy life whilst doing uni, then i wouldnt recommend a 4WD.

If you want something modern, ultra reliable, spacious & cheap to run, and cheap to buy with plenty features & power i would recommend a Mitsubishi 380. One of the best large cars made in the country, shame the general public didnt take to them, but they are a used car buyer's bargain.
      2005 NP GLX Pajero 3.8L 5sp auto 198,000km

Comment

Get an olderToyota Ute on petrol/gas they are as cheap as chips to run and you can fix them yourself, parts are everywhere for them as they made about 20 billion of them.

Just don't accelerate around corners and you will be fine.
        2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
        GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

Comment

paj is easy to work on and fix, although as mentioned not cheap to run, however I've managed it
          If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

Suzuki Vitara or early Grand Vitara would be my suggestion if you are after a 4wd.
            Cheap to buy and cheaper to run than the Paj when you take everything into account
            Get a wagon for the extra space and you can set it up as you wish for your trips with mum and dad.
            Don;t be fooled, the Suzi will go where the Paj will and most likely be pulling the paj out every now and then as well
            2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
            2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

Originally posted by dhula View Post
              Suzuki Vitara or early Grand Vitara would be my suggestion if you are after a 4wd.
              Cheap to buy and cheaper to run than the Paj when you take everything into account
              Get a wagon for the extra space and you can set it up as you wish for your trips with mum and dad.
              Don;t be fooled, the Suzi will go where the Paj will and most likely be pulling the paj out every now and then as well
              yeah nah, the vitara that tags along with me has had the same amount of work/$'s of mods thrown at it and for what? less room, less power, less range. i doubt there is much. if any saving in going for a zook over a gen1 or 2 paj
              If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

Check out forum member Sam16hutch he has his NM Exceed on eBay under $10k buy it now, but you could probably nab for less. NM onwards are approved by Mitsi for injected LPG which lowers fueling costs to that of a small car. The conversion would cost you around $4k (what it cost me to do mine) so it's like getting an NM for $6-7k if you did that to one you bought wiping LPG.

I do not know this guy, or his car, so don't take this as a recommendation of mechanical soundness of this particular specimen, but really it looks like a pretty good price to me.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2002-Mits...65a5190&_uhb=1

This is his profile page:
                http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/member.php?u=30302
                Adelaide
                2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

Hey guys,
                  Thanks for the replies.
                  Maybe I should have reworded my first post. I am looking for a 4WD to travel on dirt/gravel tracks with light off-road work, with possibly using it to travel to Uni coming second.
                  Regarding using the 4WD for Uni, well I'm beginning to see impracticality in taking it across the city every day. LPG would be good though.
                  My dad has suggested I buy a cheaper Gen 2 for that purpose only and use my sister's small car for uni. That is, of course, until she takes it away.
                  I'm still in the early stages and of course I'm not going to buy a car immediately. I just wanted to see your opinions, and get a better understanding of some things.

What I'm thinking right now:
                  An NM Pajero, maybe with LPG that I'll slowly build up over the years. I agree completely with psproule on this aspect.

What my dad thinks right now:
                  A cheaper NL Pajero, possibly already modified.

I'm probably going to be paying for most/all of the vehicle, and then paying for the costs of running it. I'm more familiar with the Pajero NM than any other model, and one with LPG as Darwiniandude pointed out seems good to me because of the lowered cost of running it, and the slightly extended range.
                  Also, I want to be able to keep the vehicle I get for a long time to come. An LPG conversion probably wouldn't hurt considering the long-term savings.
                  2002 Pajero NM Exceed V6
                  No mods - yet.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X