Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM pajero front wheel bearings

I know, I know,

It has all been said before but my front, driver's side just went belly up 2 days ago. I will be flat out making it the 1.5km to the mechanic.

Question - Is it going to be the complete hub/bearing assembly as I have often read or is there a an aftermarket bearing set that can be used?

If it is hubs is it unreasonable to attempt to do this at home if you have a reasonable ability at pulling things to pieces?

Any idea on what I will be forking out for hubs and/or bearings???

Off to Fraser Is. in about six weeks so trying not to smash the budget if at al possible....probably not though!!!!

Hi Footman
    We had our NM done late 2005, after 100,000 kms front right was gone but we had both done. From memory cost about $1100 then at our local 4WD mechanic-- not Mitsu agent. Had the full changeover done as the "new" kit comes with some changes to prevent the whole thing happening again. Apparently the early NM's allowed ingress of water-- not just from water crossings etc but from as simple as road splash-- but the later ones and the changeover kit were modified.
    There has been discussion here (old forum) and others about just replacing the bearings and the availability of a non genuine change over kit. Also, I imagine, it would be possible to buy the full kit from Mitsu and do the labour yourself, that should save about 50%. I recollect that this has been talked about and might not be that hard to do.
    Hopefully one of the earlier forumites will be able to provide more detail.
    Rusty
    2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
    Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
    2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for the heads up. It is at the mechanic as we speak and I will get a verdict in the morning. Depending on cost I may well opt to do it myself.

Funny how MMA find these problems and do a fix up with the after market parts but don't do a vehicle recall for a clear design flaw!!!

Having said that have had 3 pajeros and a lancer evoIII and have never spent a thing on any other than regular maintenance....so not so bad just crappy timing a month before a two week fishing trip to Fraser Is.

Thanks again, will post the outcome from the surgeon (oops, mechanic..they just can charge the same!!) tomorrow

Comment

Footman
        I tackled MMA about it and ended up getting 66% of the cost of the parts back from them. Based on that we had only just done 100,000, it was a known problem to MM (I was able to direct them to a web site in the USA that reported the issue) and that I felt it was a safety issue. They first denied that they knew about it but this forum (or the old forum) had lots of threads on it and the USA connection convinced them in the end.
        So I had a bit of satisfaction in the end. Took a long battle though.
        Rusty
        2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
        Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
        2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X