Ad below navbar

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spotties! Cheap vs Expensive, whats the difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotties! Cheap vs Expensive, whats the difference?

Howdy,

Just curious about spotlights. I have seen several cheap 100W versions at places like Supercheap and I was wondering how they compare to the more expensive brand names like Cibie, Hella etc. All 100W lights should be fairly similar in brightness shouldn't they?

Typically the dirt cheap ones lack the reflector quality and housing strength. Then you move into the low cost options which there's pretty good guality and performance and you don't have to spend a heap. If you ask 10 people what they recon is "best" you will likely get half a dozen brands + variations of model#'s and setup and ALL will recon theirs outperform / outshine / out-last / out-and-out beat the pants off the others which will all be crap in their honest opinions

To kick you off, on the NS I use 2x spread beam hella 4000's which work very well and work well with HID inserts. I started out with two pencil beams, but have moved to two spreads as I found the distance of the pencil beams to be excessive (once fitted with HID it was like driving down a mining tunnel). The spread setup works very well. On our subaru forestor I've used hella 4000 compacts with standard 100watt globes and they too make night driving far less stressful. On previous vehicles I've used narva's which are good for the price, and 220 roo lights on the work ute which seem equally as good as the hella's.
    Last edited by Eastie; 07-09-07, 11:01 AM.
    NS oil burner shorty

Comment

What Eastie said.

In general, more money = better reflector quality, better bulb, better wiring and better build quality - important if doing any bumpy 4wd'ing and they're shaking around a lot.

I have nightstalker HID's, the proper ones with separate ballast boxes that emit a high pitched whine and take about 5 seconds to initially warm up. Quite expensive and a bit odd at first, but once set up they're incredibly bright.
      Cheers,
      Rob

2007 NS VRX DID Auto - ARB Bullbar, Dual Deep Cycle Batteries, Nightstalker HID's, Family Pack, Tow Bar & Lift, Illuminated Side-Steps, Bluetooth, Neoprene Seat Covers, Mio Digiwalker C520 GPS.
      1989 NG EXE Tdi Manual - Cooper ATR's on 16x8 Sunraysia's, Tough Dog 2" Lift

Comment

The HID kit I got is the same - the ballast/globes take about 1 -2 seconds to fully warm up to full color the first time you flick them on. The only issue I've found is that you can't see light from oncoming vehicles util you can see the vehicle/headlights (unless they are using decent triving lights). The only reason I went with HID is I tend to do a bit of serious 4x4 at night so the extra brightness comes in handy. For on-road standard 100w with a decent lamp has proven good ensough for me.
        Last edited by Eastie; 08-09-07, 12:17 AM.
        NS oil burner shorty

Comment

I've had both Narva and Hella lights over the years and have found both to be pretty good. But i've also been running Lightforce XGTs for the last 2 or so years and i have to say that they are awesome. Probably and the expensive end of the range but the quality and customer service is fantastic (Oh and Australian made too).

Check out:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vKqEtaGwNw
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrRv-WcFeNA

I wouldn't buy anything cheaper than Hella or Narva, you'll just end up wasting money when something breaks later and you can't get spare parts. You get what you pay for.

I don't work for them either
          Steele Perkins (#1263)
          NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

I have the cheapies as reversing spots. They are no match on my Lightforce 240 blitz front spots. Then the price is also 10 to 1. The light force have survived a roo strike without a mark while one of my reversing cheapies is broken.

Have a look at the Roo Lights. The seam to be a copy of the light force.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X