Found use for my spare Oppo smartphone 5.5" display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found use for my spare Oppo smartphone 5.5" display

Hiya all. Found a use for my spare Oppo in my NX. I already have a Galaxy S5 permanently monitoring Torque Pro so I use the Oppo for offline Google map. Like my S5, I set it up to wake up with Google map when there is power and sleep when there is no power. Torque Pro has a setting for sleeping so no need a third party app. But for Oppo I use an app called Macrodroid Device Automation for sleeping/waking up. This app can can automate many other tasks besides what I use it for. I put my Oppo on flight mode with WIFI enabled so that offline maps can update whenever my NX is parked on my driveway. I previously use this setup whenever I travel long distances to minimise the risk of no phone signal (no data) but now I just left it permanently in my NX.
    03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | Tow Bar | Catch Can | Pre Fuel Filter | EGR Off Module | K&N Filter | Roof Racks | Torque Pro | Tuningkit Race Chip | Auto-Mate (pending install)

Interesting!

Have you managed to get offline maps for whole of state or similar? Does the app automate the updating process (I've only experienced it being manual)? You don't have the issue of the offline maps expiring?

I've only done the "okmaps" thing in search bar to download certain areas when I'm heading away, and the maps expire etc. What you are doing sounds really handy

Comment

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
      Have you managed to get offline maps for whole of state or similar?
      Yes you can. In offline map config you just move the "square" around to select any area you want. The downloaded map can be something like 100mb per square so depending on your device storage

Does the app automate the updating process (I've only experienced it being manual)? You don't have the issue of the offline maps expiring?
      Yes the maps will update when it needs to when it senses WIFI is connected. You need to make sure only select update map over WIFI only.

What you are doing sounds really handy
      Yeah, this setup works for me as I have used it several times. The only difference now is I permanently have it in my NX.
      03/19 MY18 Pajero NX GLX Graphite | Tow Bar | Catch Can | Pre Fuel Filter | EGR Off Module | K&N Filter | Roof Racks | Torque Pro | Tuningkit Race Chip | Auto-Mate (pending install)

Comment

Cool, cheers. And they don't expire? All the ones I've got just delete after a certain period and I didn't think you could get around that

Comment

Cool, cheers. And they don't expire? All the ones I've got just delete after a certain period and I didn't think you could get around that
          Yes downloaded offline maps will expire after a period of time if you do not update it.

Comment

If you want full australia offline maps install https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_AU&gl=US (Here We Go)and download the maps you want, much better than google maps offline I suspect
            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

Originally posted by JoshF View Post
              If you want full australia offline maps install https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_AU&gl=US (Here We Go)and download the maps you want, much better than google maps offline I suspect
              Yes I tried HERE but I still find I tend to go back to google maps especially distance driving. Actually good to have both maps.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamerman View Post
                Yes downloaded offline maps will expire after a period of time if you do not update it.
                Thanks. That's good to know. Might drag one of the old phones out of the drawer and give that app a try

Comment

This is clever but you would loose the benefits of live Google Maps traffic monitoring and dynamic re-routing. It's interesting to see that Waze is becoming popular in AU. It adds another layer of crowd-sourced live data such as accidents and hazards over a google maps base. Speed display is also good to have.
                  16 Mitsu NX Pajero GLX
                  10 Ford LV Focus ST / XR5

Comment

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                    This is clever but you would loose the benefits of live Google Maps traffic monitoring and dynamic re-routing.
                    The whole reason for me using offline map is so I won't have to depend on mobile coverage, just satellites. Agree about WAZE as it is more popular than Google Maps in certain countries like Malaysia and maybe even Singapore.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X