Good and free online sources for AU maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good and free online sources for AU maps

Don't know about you guys but I don't really like the fact that official AU maps (at least for Vic) are outdated or in scales and detail levels that are not suited for off road navigation.
    There are more and more apps available for Android and the rotten apple that allow the download of maps, but either they have nothing useful for AU or it is "premium content" like Hema and Rofftop maps that needs extra payments.

Google, Yahoo, Bing and Co. are nice and easy with programs like Mobac or SAS Planet but limited to raster maps (images).
    OPSM is getting better and better with their road and hiking maps but rely on track data submitted by users - that means if there is no data the area on the map will be empty although the tracks are 50 years old.
    For some states and NZ you can get better data and even Topo maps generated from gouvernment data, so I thought it would a good idea to start a collection of links for maps that we can use on our little island.
    Please post what you use apart from Google and so on and what you think about the quality and coverage of the data.
    '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
    Password for all my files: downunder

I currently have nothing so I am in the process of setting up my android tablet, eager to see this thread pick up if possible.
    Loving the PAJ
    |04 NP DiD GLS|Manual|ARB Bullbar|Lightforce lights|Dual Batteries|Snorkel|

Comment

Using maps u allowed us to download in 250k.
      Found ofz3 hema 2013 converted back fo ofz2 but maps are throwing errors.

Comment

Have you got a link to the site? I've had some luck rebuilding these broken maps.
        04 NP DiD
        Dobinsons shocks and spring - 2" lift with full bush kit, 285/75R16 KO3 BF Goodrich Muddies, IPF 900 Lights, 42" LED lightbar, Snorkel, DIY 3/4 Roof Rack, Milford Cargo Barrier, Single Mass Flywheel Clutch Conversion, using Samsung Galaxy 10 as my GPS device, OziExplorer for Android, wikicamps app to find all the good camp sites. My Travel Blog . My Photography Site . Expedition 4LowDrive

Comment

So just out of interest, I would like to set up some maps for free, is oziexplorer the best for my tablet? I use an external GPS.
          Loving the PAJ
          |04 NP DiD GLS|Manual|ARB Bullbar|Lightforce lights|Dual Batteries|Snorkel|

Comment

Depends on what you use, but in general I would say Ozi is still the one to compare other programs to.
            If you create maps in the unprotected Ozi formats they can be easily converted to any other format.
            '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
            Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X