Android memory maps update and Hema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android memory maps update and Hema

I have just received an email from memory maps regarding new updates to their android app along with map update. Below is a copy and paste of the email.

Some important updates from Memory-Map

We have some important updates for you...

New edition Hema Maps
    New 4WD Australia app
    New edition AOT map from Westprint
    New Topo Maps for WA, NT and SA
    New Android app update
    Free Hema Maps Update

The Hema Map set now consists of 92 individual maps. That's about 30 more than the last set. As well as a general update of info on the core maps, these additional maps are mostly located in NSW and QLD providing more detail on popular regions.

These were published on the Digital Map Shop in July, so if you if you haven't downloaded any Hema maps since then, probably a good idea to grab the latest set today. Here's how....

(First, please see Terry's notes below on deleting old maps below)
    Use these instructions to download and install the maps to all your devices.
    Android users - You can now download "Packages"of Hema maps from within the Memory-Map Android app (V2.1.1 or later, see below)
    Download and run the 4WD Australia map-pac app from the Google Play Store. (more on this below)

New 4WD Australia app

Available on the Google Play Store this app simply delivers all the latest Hema maps to your Android device ready for use in the Memory Map App.

For those of you looking for the Hema map update mentioned above, this would be a good tool, helping you load ALL the new maps.

Australia Outback Tracks (AOT)
    The AOT map from Westprint has has been updated and expanded. This new edition now covers all Australia.

Its available from the Digital Map Shop as a free update to existing users.

This map comes highly recommended for anyone embarking on an Outback adventure.

New Topographic maps

We've uploaded a heap of maps for WA, NT and SA to the Digital Map Shop, ready for you to download to your device.

WA Topo - 100k and 25k Topo maps
    Pibara Topo - 100k and 50k Topo maps
    Kimberly Topo - 100k and 50k Topo maps

This set has been reproduced from the popular Greg Hardwood DVD map set. They're quite old but in the absence of anything newer, they're still relevant for anyone fossicking around this territory. They are still the most detailed maps available.

NT Topo - 100k Topo map
    SA Topo - 100k Topo Map

Both these are from the GeoScience Australia 100k Rasters. Again they are not new but in the absence of ANYTHING else that we can bring you...

To use these maps on the usual 10 day free demo basis. Please see these instructions for downloading and installing on all your devices. (1 day free demo on Apple devices)
    Memory-Map Android app update

A new Memory-Map app is out with the following changes:
    Allow moving app to SD card
    Easier map storage options (see here for how it works)
    Easier switching between adjoining maps - tap outside current map boundary to open next map.
    Added Package download feature - Download a bundle of maps/charts from the Digital Map Shop in one go.
    Fixed crash when using "Screen timeout only dims screen"
    GPS Velocity Vector scale can be set in the GPS settings dialog.
    "Share" GPX files via email, etc.
    New position formats: NZTM (New Zealand) and MGRS (NATO military grid)

Tech Support Terry's tips on updating maps
    Whether you're downloading updated maps from the DMS or loading from a replacement DVD, it's always advisable to either delete or move the original files first. Otherwise you could find old and new maps mixed together in the map list.

The default location for maps is:

PC App - in the Maps folder on the Local Drive C: (C:\maps).
    iPad App - in the shared folders section in iTunes
    Android App - in the Memory-Map folder, in the Download folder (/download/Memory-Map)
    Click here for general instructions that will cover this in more detail.

If you have any questions on any Memory-Map related subject, feel free to drop me a line at [email protected] or visit the knowledge base.

As they have said the topo maps for WA, SA and NT are old but at lease the WA version is quite cheap compared to buying the greg harwood maps on cd/dvd. Not sure on the price for geoscience maps elsewhere?

Personally I like the interface of memory map but currently don't use it as my main navigation app, mainly because you have to pay a licence fee to be able to use your own maps.
    2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

AFAIK you can import various map formats into Memory map, including BSB charts and GeoTiff, you just have to activate the feature.
    I think they call it Classic Map Compatibility...
    '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
    Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

You can but need to pay $50 for an "import licence"
      2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

Comment

That is correct as I now found out, they have chenged it for the recent releases.
        On that background using free maps or your own creations is made unnecessarily hard.
        Forcing a paid addon for free maps is something I have not seen in the software world before.
        One more program to put on the "not to use" list....
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
        Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Such a shame as I find the interface nice. Instead I'll continue to play with oruxmaps and oziexplorer.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X