Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Hema app is best

Hi to all you knowledgable people,
    Not sure if this has been covered already,and if it has a point in the right direction would be great.
    I was about to download Hema i-pad app when i noticed 2 were available, one for $130 and one for $50.
    My question is , is the $50 dollar version the same or better, I cant justify buying both if they are similar, and if the cheaper option is just as good, well that would be a bonus.
    Any feedback of pros and cons on these would be appreciated.
    I intend to use it to start with around the Watagan's and Barrington Tops to start with.
    Also do the apps show the tracks in the areas or can you only plot tracks as you do them? I like to have a bit of an explore but would like to know where the track goes (got myself caught in some interesting dead ends at times ).
    I look forward to hearing your responses.

Cheers

Ross
    MY12 NW Platinum, DID, TJM Winch bar, 2" lift, Snorkel, Uniden 7760nb, Rhino Racks, Spare wheel lift, Redarc Electric Brakes, MM tow bar, Rhino 550 Roof pod,Alpine roof mounted DVD-Wireless headphones, Bridgestone D697's, Full set of Bushskinz underbody and rear bumper protection

I wouldn't say i'm an expert, but this is what i found,
    The $130 one includes all the hema apps from around australia but the highest scale it has is 250k.
    The $50 is i believe there new app which requires internet access to download the apps, and is more about seeing what there is to do in an area, rather than offline maps.
    The memory map app is identical to the hema app, but no hema maps are included. Its only ~$10
    You can then purchase addon map sets, both hema and their own.
    I run their latest nsw 2013 topo maps which has 25k for the east coast, then 50k further west and western nsw is 100k, and it is fantastic up in the watagans.
    I have also purchased the fraser island hema map as i will be going there at xmas time. The memory map app includes a 250k road map of the whole of Australia.
    I don't know if you can add the 25k nsw top map to the hema app or not?
    So if your planning a trip around australia then the heam app would be cheaper, but if your like me and have no plans to visit the other side of oz, memory map is heaps cheaper

Aaron
    2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

Hi Aaron,
      I am planning to go west, but not till 2015.
      So the memory map app $0.99 is the one your talking about??
      Does this actually show you tracks as well???
      If so seems to be a even better option.
      Excuse my ignorance, i assume when you purchase tracks/maps you plug into your itunes account and it downloads onto the ipad??
      Does it show camps etc and can you plot where you have been?

Ross
      MY12 NW Platinum, DID, TJM Winch bar, 2" lift, Snorkel, Uniden 7760nb, Rhino Racks, Spare wheel lift, Redarc Electric Brakes, MM tow bar, Rhino 550 Roof pod,Alpine roof mounted DVD-Wireless headphones, Bridgestone D697's, Full set of Bushskinz underbody and rear bumper protection

Comment

Yes thats it.
        It can be set to show a trail of where you have been, and you can also create a route. It will then show you distance to next waypoint etc, but its not turn by turn as such.
        I think i purchased the nsw topo map direct from the memory map site. It allows you to install the maps on two devices.
        I don't know about camps, if you can download the camps file i assume you could overlay them, but I have never tried it?

Aaron
        2012 PB 30th Anniversary Challenger, Arb 2.5m awning, Maxtrax, ORS Platform and MSA dropdown slide, Boo's Bashplates, MSA seat organisers with trays, GME 3120s uhf, GME 4705 UHF, Lovells Springs, Arb Deluxe Bullbar, Mitsubishi tow bar, 265/65 17 D697's At's, triple ram mount with ipad and lots more to come.

Comment

My experience with Memory Map is $0.00, ie free however that is via Google Play Store for Android.

Worked a treat on the phone. I DL it to the tablet as well as the PC version. I had difficulties getting the DL maps from the PC to the Android devices though.

I had a 10 day trial of the HEMA maps. TBH I was expecting more from the HEMA maps. What worked better for me was to DL the free 250K Topo charts (for WA and have now got all of Aus) and cross reference with the Camps 7 guide.

Downloading the maps via the phone can be quite time consuming and you would need to be sure that you have covered the areas you are likely to go before losing mobile coverage which is why I tried to get the maps via the PC first. Maybe it does work I recall not really having the time to muck about too much so I went with what got me maps on the phone at the time.

I also found creating a route on the phone was significantly easier than on the PC. Again it could just be a case where I didn't have enough experience with the PC platform but it didn't seem too intuitive either (on the PC that is).

Why don't you try the inexpensive option first. you may find it covers what you need at least for now. In my case having used MemMap I have a better understanding of what it's capable of and gives me a better position to assess whether the 600+ bucks for the HEMA HN6 is worth it (so far no).
          NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

Don't forget memory map also provides access to other map providers than just Hema ie Westprint and other topo providers, hence greater choice may provide greater flexibility
            NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
            Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

Cheers Guys for your feedback,
              thought i had made my decision, now a little indecisive. May give Memory map a crack, just didn't want to be downloading and paying for 2 or 3 different apps.
              Time will tell,
              thanks again

Comment

IMHO it really does not matter too much what app you use as the maps will be all the same for AU.
                All map providers have shops where you can buy the digital map editions for most systems.
                Vic is bit off grid, for most other areas you can get pretty good free maps from the mining or gouvernment website.
                In the end it all goes down to what app you can handle the best and give you the features you need.
                Different story for other parts of the worls, but here we are all limited to the same map sources, either already included or for purchase later on.
                '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
                Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

Cheers Downunder

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X