Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraser Island Camping April 2022

Hi all
    Intending to head to Fraser late April - I have 11 nights available actually on the island.
    Will stay at Inskip Point the night before to get the tides right first thing the next day.
    My wife and I have a Tourer type tent, and the other couple have a roof top tent. No kids. We have delayed it to later April to avoid the crowds - Qld school hols finish straight after Easter.
    If anyone has been on the Island recently we would very much appreciate advice on best camp sites. Also any "must see, must do" things there. We would likely camp at least one night at one or 2 of the inland lakes, maybe a night or 2 on the north west side (sand flies????) and the rest on the eastern beach.
    We love camp oven and campfire cooking, but I read that is not allowed there, so will likely have to resort to the gas stove and hotplate.
    Any advice very much appreciated
    thanks
    Peter
    2017 NX Pajero. Lovells Bilsteins, other stuff

There’s only very few places you can have a fire on Fraser.... Dundubara and Waddy Point. They have purpose-made rings for fires. BYO firewood; not sure how many shops on the island sell it (Orchid Beach may as Waddy Point is nearby).

Usual recovery gear and what not for beach work.

i stayed a few years ago at Waddy beachfront, non-dingo-fenced area.
    nice spot for sure. Gold coin for hot showers in the fenced area.
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

Biggest tip - if you are staying outside the dingo fence at all make sure ALL foodstuffs are in secure hard storage, dingo's are extremely good at scavenging and will rip into tents etc to get to food, witnessed this first hand at Kings Canyon in the NT, someone ignored the signs everywhere and left some butter and dairy in a soft cooler and within the hour a female dingo had ripped open the camper trailer and cooler and before anyone could stop it was away.
      All the gear and some idea.....
      MY15 NX GLX, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Ironman Steel Bar, Kaon Intercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 2020, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (rear doors) ........
      Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

With the food storage.... don’t rely on “handle clips” or anything like that on plastic tubs.... I’ve seen people wrap a ratchet strap around the plastic tub over the lid to make sure the dingoes can’t get in.
        '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccaman194 View Post
          Hi all
          Intending to head to Fraser late April - I have 11 nights available actually on the island. Great time of year outside of school holidays & long weekends.

Will stay at Inskip Point the night before to get the tides right first thing the next day. Nice drive, you can come up Teewah beach from Noosa/ Tewantin to Rainbow beach as you come up Teewah veach, 5 minutes before Double Island point at toilets & picnic area, come off beach, drive through forest come out at Rainbow beach, avoid the hit & miss rocks that way, they have a habit of consuming cars. WIth the cyclone season ahead & this week, fair chance beaches will have been eroded so caution with tides & rocks.
          Follow tides & see how big the tides are around time of travel, bigger the tides closer to low you need to travel around.
          Willyweather has good phone app for this
          https://tides.willyweather.com.au/ql...ay/eurong.html

Hi tides don't look mad in size end of April, so that should be favourable for beach travel, few hours before low & couple after is safe, until you get your bearings.

When you get off the barge onto Fraser few hours before low tide is early as you would want to be coming off, unless you know the place well with current conditions or you won't get around Hook Point, forced up the inland rough track fully loaded.

Has been a gastro outbreak ongoing at Inskip, keep in mind, gastro wouldn't be ideal on Fraser

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-...reak/100604712

To come up Teewah nice drive, day pass $13.00 then need Fraser pass obviously & camping

https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/ac...raser-cooloola

The Barge use to have an office, but "under construction" new servo & office so she's shut, can pay on barge, but for me easier beforehand.

https://mantarayfraserislandbarge.com.au/bookings-fares

Always been able to get a barge ticket at the servo caravan park at Rainbow & i stayed here couple times, makes an easy trip & dinner at the Surf club, within walking distance like 150-200 metres, cold beer nice food.

https://www.rainbowbeachholidayvillage.com/

https://www.rainbowbeachsurf.com.au/bistro-and-bar/

My wife and I have a Tourer type tent, and the other couple have a roof top tent. No kids. We have delayed it to later April to avoid the crowds - Qld school hols finish straight after Easter. It will be quiet weekdays, you'll love it.

If anyone has been on the Island recently we would very much appreciate advice on best camp sites.I would say from what you have said your projected itinery may be eastern Beach would be Zones 4 to 6 or campfire shower, toilet Cathedrals or Dundubara, Lake stay Central Station, i'm not experienced with West side recent years, Creeks obviously tidal west side & i know that side is glorious calm waters that side. Salt water bath on incomings for vehicle if your crossing any

Also any "must see, must do" things there. Just enjoy, Hema map, stop at Champagne pools, Orchid beach pub, Eli Creek, Lake McKenzie, Valley of te Giants, Central Station, Hema map & you'll find plenty of other.
          It's a big place

Let your tyres down 18-16Psi depending on rainfall is low enough. turn off traction control, take it easy & enjoy the stay.
          If it's really dry you could need less pressure inland track use or big tides.
          I think a tow off the island is about $2k-$3k depends from where, up to you if you think this is $150 worth spending
          https://fraserislandtowing.com.au/be...down-packages/
          Plenty of Death adders & other, but like all snakes you again will need to be unlucky, this i take this, i have 2, one in 1st aid kit & 1 in console or pocket
          https://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/...e-10cm-x-10-5m

We would likely camp at least one night at one or 2 of the inland lakes, This will probably be Central Station with easy access from Eurong.
          Eurong has bakery, shop & diesel. I just buy diesel on island in lieu of lugging drums, at moment quick look it's maybe $2.60 a litreish, so $200 a tank currently.
          Central station is stones throw drive from Lake McKenzie, also a nice area & in off peak times it'll be you & maybe 6 others at the Lake, which is just pristine memories that one.
          Unique.
          Don't eat or drink at lake or car park at lake, water i think is ok, Rangers i believe do police this, frowned upon with fines.
          There is a pen to eat in, if required.

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/k...l-station-tent

maybe a night or 2 on the north west side (sand flies????) and the rest on the eastern beach. Yes sand flies Western calm side of island, but i think by late April you should be spared from March Flies that are like kamakazee's across the island

We love camp oven and campfire cooking, but I read that is not allowed there, so will likely have to resort to the gas stove and hotplate.
          Camp fires, milled timber bring your own & lower end of eastern Beach is The Cathedrals
          https://www.cathedralsonfraser.com.au/things-to-do/

Further up Eastern beach, Camp Fires
          Dundubara
          https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks/k...dundubara-tent

Beach camping no wood fires allowed

https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/__data/...island-map.pdf

A lot of campsites are now fenced so no Dingoes in lot of sites to wreck your camp, but let us not forget his mate the Goanna.
          Yes along beaches not fenced.
          Dingoes will climb a 4wd, chew straps off an Evakool fridge, rip open a tent, i'm sure you've been around & will work it out from there.
          His partner in crime is goanna & shouldn't be underestimated either.
          Thick wall length of poly pipe is always a good companion to have beside car seat & to walk with, makes a nice walking stick & you won't offend Rangers, but might offend the odd tree hugger .
          You would have to be extremly unlucky to use it in anger, i have two kids 9-12 so i have couple lengths of poly pipe

Hope your Lithium DCS set up is treating you well?

Any advice very much appreciated
          thanks
          Peter
          Jasonmc73
          Valued Member
          Last edited by Jasonmc73; 2 weeks ago.
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Hey Peter, Lucky you!

Jason is all over it. Lots of lived experience in his post.

I spent a week there about three years ago and we used Cathedrals on Fraser as a basecamp (inside a dingo fence, with a laundry and a kitchen and a shop) and did day trips from there. But I wouldn't do that again. It's a big island and I reckon it's best to keep moving your camp.

Eli Creek is neat but the water is cold. Lots of people float down it in a tube. Champagne Pools is a must see.

I love Fraser, especially the island North of Ngkala rocks. The rocks are a barrier for a lot of visitors and the beach is a lot less crowded when you get past them. The sandy hill north of Ngkala catches a lot of vehicles - going north and south - including one of our group (it was a Toyota - not a mighty Paj) and takes a bit of right boot and momentum.

Sandy Cape lighthouse is worth a visit. When we were there the caretakers (lovely couple) sailed to Australia from Califronia in the 70's in their own yacht (!) and have lived here ever since. Be extra careful going around the Northern tip as the beach gets narrow and there's less wave action so the soft part of the beach is extra soft. Make sure you time the low tide.

Also - a word to the wise - the beach can change quite a bit during a single day after a high tide and with the fresh water creeks that cut sharp edged channels in the hard sand. Do some homework on where to cross the bigger creeks and the points. From memory Eli Creek is best crossed nearer the island and gets deeper the closer to the Ocean (which might be a bit counterintuitive?) - but either way definitely get the latest advice. There's an advantage to watching someone else go first - and when the island is busy there's a lot of cars on the beach.

There's a beach camping zone on the very northern tip that I plan to visit one day. If you camp there you'll have to send a photo.
            NX GLX, Nudge Bar, Auto-mate, Stedi Light Bar and LED globes, Rhino Vortex Racks, Sandgrabbas, Nautia pocket, GotyaCovered and Wheelskins covers, Kings/Oztec suspension, Aux Lithium battery in rear, Kaon Table

Comment

As mentioned, plan the tides carefully...

don’t do as attached in the pic!
              (trying to cross Eli at very close to high tide... no, it’s not me!)
              your there for a decent stay, don’t need to push the tides.

if in doubt for the creek crossings, wait and watch someone else, follow them (or if they’ve come from the other way, go over their track) if it looks trouble free.
              my time there, short of a few ledges on the creek edges worst maybe up to 30cm, it wasn’t difficult at all.

if starting to bog down in the soft stuff, just back off the go-pedal, coast to a stop, whack it in reverse and back out. Don’t keep self-digging by spinning the wheels.
              I’ve not been bogged yet in the sand. I start about 20-22psi. I have a bit of margin to air-down if it gets really soft and i cannot get through. Get stuck when the pressure is as low as you can go, then you’ve lost that as an ability to assist extraction.

no harm in backing out and giving it another go. It’s less hassle and wait for all than getting stuck and needing a recovery!
              Attached Files
              Alex86
              Valued Member
              Last edited by Alex86; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                As mentioned, plan the tides carefully...

don’t do as attached in the pic!
                (trying to cross Eli at very close to high tide... no, it’s not me!)
                your there for a decent stay, don’t need to push the tides.

if in doubt for the creek crossings, wait and watch someone else, follow them (or if they’ve come from the other way, go over their track) if it looks trouble free.
                my time there, short of a few ledges on the creek edges worst maybe up to 30cm, it wasn’t difficult at all.

if starting to bog down in the soft stuff, just back off the go-pedal, coast to a stop, whack it in reverse and back out. Don’t keep self-digging by spinning the wheels.
                I’ve not been bogged yet in the sand. I start about 20-22psi. I have a bit of margin to air-down if it gets really soft and i cannot get through. Get stuck when the pressure is as low as you can go, then you’ve lost that as an ability to assist extraction.

no harm in backing out and giving it another go. It’s less hassle and wait for all than getting stuck and needing a recovery!
                The beaches up here are copping a flogging as we speak & with La Nina weather event in play they will cop more than one flogging between now winter..

Has been plenty of sand, but she's being washed away now though, will expose rock as well, with less beach on incoming tides, like that photo.
                Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

On average Frasier claims 1 car a week be it locals or tourist, and I can vouch its not a pleasant experience. ALL water crossings give them some respects and nothing wrong with watching a car go before of get out and have a feel of the bottom. Its a quicksand type feel you need to be VERY carful about.

There is no need to speed, as the washouts come up regularly and you are there to enjoy the place anyway.

Also there is no need to launch the car though Ngkala cutting as the possibility of a head on is real. Any car with a lift on 16-18psi in 4x4 will do it. Its the calm confident driver that they are all lacking.

I've been lucky enough to have been to Frasier quite a few times. Cathedrals is OK but agree with DeeTee with moving around. You won't understand how big the island is until you have arrived, with its size by far the biggest issue rather than the dingos. Its hard too rest and relax if you want to see it all in one visit.

We free camp and personally have never had issue with the dingos even camping with small kids. If you have kids its as basic as no wandering with food in hand, kids always in sight, and keep a clean camp. We use space case type boxes for food, and always lock them even if you are just popping to the crest of the dune or down to the water. Rubbish keep in the car preferably when not in camp. You will often see dingos do a recon behind camp and return via the beech. Don't panic they are just doing what they do. Don't feel its out of your responsibility to rip strips off anyone you may see feeding dingos, its still done by people to get "that photo". The dingo is being a dingo and pays for it with its life when it gets it wrong with human.

Preferred spot depends on what you want out of the trip. But some preferred sorts of isolation if thats your thing.

Worralie Crk, or Awinya Crk or Wathumba Crk on the West cost. Never found sand flies or mosses an issue but others have. Wathumba has limited driving once at the destination but has fair fishing and exploring on foot at low tide. Awinya to Woralie is possible low tide (worth checking first) and Sth of Woralie is a good day. Fishing along the coat is fair especially for flathead. Watch your tides though as there are numerous outlets that need addressing Sth of Woralie. Also there is a creek to cross at Awinya so high tide can be ballsy.
                  Sandy Cape is special for all sorts of reasons, but it will take longer than you think. Well the western beaches will also. But we often camp first camp just after the dune at the very tip. Its a sad looking mess after fires but it was good camping. Well worth taking your boogie board for a walk into the dunes to become a kid again, let alone enjoying the view. There are plenty of other camps amongst the Caesareans further alone though. The light house is worth the effort.

Ocean Lake will be one of the quieter places for a fresh water swim, and camping in the dunes to the East is also worthy.

Champaign pool is good but also gets better pending time you hit it. Towards hi tide swim over and hang onto the rock wall the is water breaks over. You'll understand why soon enough but hang on tight. Also bring your goggles its amazing what's swimming around with you. At low tide take the walk from Champaign pools to Waddy Point. Waddy is a nice place to stare into the ocean, as to Indian Head.

The rest to the Sth is all very nice and all worth doing, just the busier end of the island. Central Station is pleasant and has a slower feel, good for a lunch. Valley of the Giants is a nice rain forrest drive and of course float down Eli Crk probably a must. Take a bit to eat and your boogie board to Lake Wobby. Its fast disappearing and worth loitering for a bit while shooting down the dune into the water. But you have to pay for that with a short walk to get there. If you have full moon take a dip in Lake Mckensie.

To be honest if the crowds are down and its not pissing down you will have a great time no matter what.

jaffles
                  Valued Member
                  Last edited by jaffles; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex86 View Post
                    With the food storage.... don’t rely on “handle clips” or anything like that on plastic tubs.... I’ve seen people wrap a ratchet strap around the plastic tub over the lid to make sure the dingoes can’t get in.
                    Yeah Dingo's are quite intelligent and have learnt how to get around our best attempts,
                    jaffles
                    Valued Member
                    jaffles good advice there as well, last time I was there, they had signs up everywhere but you can't fix stupid arrogance, well ya can with a bullet bit that's frowned upon.
                    All the gear and some idea.....
                    MY15 NX GLX, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Ironman Steel Bar, Kaon Intercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 2020, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (rear doors) ........
                    Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X