Holland Track October 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holland Track October 2021

I mentioned that I was going to do the Holland Track and some mentioned that they wanted a trip report so here goes.

Wednesday evening after work headed up to Marvel Loch. 12 people in 6 4wds.
    We stopped in Cunderdin at Ettamogah Pub for dinner. Good food, service was a bit slow this time. We got to Marvel Loch at about 10 in the evening. Setup the awning tent and headed to bed. Nice camping - hot shower in the morning in the camping area across the road from the pub.

We then headed up to Kalgoorlie and had a squiz at the super pit. Pub lunch in Karlgoorlie and then on to Victoria Rock where we setup camp for the night. Next morning after a cooked breakfast we headed to the start of the track.

The track was easy going with evidence of a bulldozer having gone through recently. We aimed for roughly a third of the way to Hyden per night. I tackled one of the mud holes after checking it carefully for depth and hardness. I couldn't make it out but didn't hammer it. I gave it a couple of goes then a mate pulled me out. I had some loose wheel nuts which resulted in a constant regular clicking. It took a couple of stops and listening before figuring out that it was the wheel nuts. Tightened them up - good to go.

Our first night camping on the track near Newby rocks. I decided to do a shower/toilet break just before bed time. I took a torch, my phone, towel and some water (3 litre spray bottle). I went a few hundred metres into the bush not thinking much about it. Time to head back. I was amazed that I could not find my way back - the campsite was quiet and no lights. I perservered for at least 10 minutes before I resorted to using my phone with the GPS app. I was back not too long after that but even with the gps app it still wasn't a doddle as there is bush everywhere and it all looks the same. Had I not had my phone I would have resorted to shouting and whistling. Next step would have been to wait for dawn as there was cloud cover. I could then have figured out where south was and then headed that way. It would have got me to the track which I could have followed back to camp. I would have been back before anyone had realised I had gone. I'm not sure I would have fessed up to being lost!

Day two
    Cooked breakfast again . Discovered one of the crowd had done something similar with his toilet break but this time he was lost for 45 minutes! He hadn't taken any navigation device. This time it was during the day! There is definitely a lesson to be learnt here.

The track was a bit harder now, no evidence of a bulldozer having been through. I was loving my fridge slide that I'd made for the back. It was easy to stop and grab a refreshment or lunch. The tables strapped to the top were an easy reach too. We ended up camping at Mount Holland.

Day three
    The going was a lot slower now. The track has deep ruts. Luckily the track was dry. I think it would be an absolute nightmare if it were raining and the ruts were full of water. You'd have no idea which ruts to take. For example there'd be 3 options to take. All 3 - same length, same width, but the depth varies. One would be enough to drown a car up to the windows! If there were water in all 3 you'd have to check the depth of each of them for the entire length. That'd be insane.

That night at the motel in Hyden. A nice hot shower - woohoo.
    Hyden looks like a proud little town. Everything is neat and tidy, flowers and artworks. Very pleasant.

Day four headed home. Changed my tyre first thing that had a slow leak. Got to Brookton same regular noise again! Checked the wheel nuts and true as bob they were loose again!!! Aargh! This time I tightened them up almost as tight as they could go with the wheel spanner. I suspect that the lug nuts are on there way out.

What worked well:
    3 litre spray bottle. Shower, wash hands, spray radiator to get rid of mud, spray windscreen, rinse dishes after washing.
    Awning tent - I had a stretcher with a mat and a duvet. Almost like a bed, not quite as big though. I slept well. These tents are not so great in wind and rain though. Water pools on top and bends poles. Wind blows the sides into your face while sleeping. Luckily we had no wind or rain.
    Fridge slide - packed around it, easy access, tables on top pulled out easily.
    Screw pegs and impact wrench - everyone was struggling with hard ground and pegs. These are a treat.
    Alpine quest for android with a KML file I downloaded from the net. - Navigation, especially on a night break in the forrest.

What did not work well:
    The back area in front of the fridge. I had 2 chairs, mattresses, duvet, mozzie net for awning plus a few other things. Every time I pulled the chairs out things would fall into the spot or visa versa. This was v irritating. Time to make another plan.
    Back bumper of the Paj - nice for others as I was scooping up high bits of the tack for others!
    Clay on my one headlight has made it go frosty! I'm going to have to polish it up. I should have cleaned the clay straight away but didn't realise it would have that effect on the light.

We had loads of fun and lots of banter on the radios.

Some photos:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/f8ZwnCBASa7Vac2F7

07 NS GLX 3.2 DiD Auto - Bushskinz bash plate + custom bash plate - Rocksliderz - factory bull bar - Pirelli scorpion ATRs - Ironman awning - Rhino Pioneer Luggage tray - Chip it race pipe - Home made breathers - 2" (Bilstein/Lovell) - No Limit Chip - Torque Pro for Android

Great report, thanks for sharing. That 30K stretch from Mt Holland to Hyden is pretty average hey. With signage it is sponsored by the landcruiser club of WA, they obviously have no environmental credentials.

Its amazing how little you need to walk from a spot to get lost isnt it. I've nearly been caught out a few times and it gets very daunting. Note to self: bring a device and ping the car before leaving. 2nd note to self: follow your own advice.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Whenever I or wife leaves the camper-trailer at night to go to the loo, we set up an LED flashlight in the window with the red flashing function switched on. You can see it for several hundred metres and it uses virtually no power in this mode.
      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
        Great report, thanks for sharing. That 30K stretch from Mt Holland to Hyden is pretty average hey. With signage it is sponsored by the landcruiser club of WA, they obviously have no environmental credentials.
        Yes, that stretch is not great. I'm not sure that it is a reflection on landcruiser club of WA, they aren't the police of those who go on/abuse the track. I'm appreciative that they have put in the effort to open it up and I assume keep it passable. I don't know who organised the bulldoser on the Coolgardie side but it certainly was an easy drive.

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
        2nd note to self: follow your own advice.
        I have the same problem.

07 NS GLX 3.2 DiD Auto - Bushskinz bash plate + custom bash plate - Rocksliderz - factory bull bar - Pirelli scorpion ATRs - Ironman awning - Rhino Pioneer Luggage tray - Chip it race pipe - Home made breathers - 2" (Bilstein/Lovell) - No Limit Chip - Torque Pro for Android

Comment

I often threaten to buy some screw pegs, i have some crap ones which work OK, these see link look like they would hold down a house!

Starter Pack (screwpegsaustralia.com.au)

Appreciate your travels
          Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post
            I often threaten to buy some screw pegs, i have some crap ones which work OK, these see link look like they would hold down a house!

Starter Pack (screwpegsaustralia.com.au)

Appreciate your travels
            I bought the Oztrail ones - a bit expensive so I bought a couple. They worked so well I went out and bought a few more. I think I got them from Anaconda.
            Remember that they are quite thick so they work well with ropes but not so well with eyelets on tarps etc. The ones in your link may be more suitable for tarps etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jemsquash View Post

I bought the Oztrail ones - a bit expensive so I bought a couple. They worked so well I went out and bought a few more. I think I got them from Anaconda.
              Remember that they are quite thick so they work well with ropes but not so well with eyelets on tarps etc. The ones in your link may be more suitable for tarps etc.
              I know what you say, i have some thinner ones i use.

This mob also sell these hooks

I'e never bothered as yet, i have many pegs.

What i found with my small screw ones is great in dry ground, but she's all over when it gets soggy, whereas some of these might work, although i have heap of large sand pegs, small sand pegs which will grab bit more earth.

One day

https://www.screwpegsaustralia.com.a...2mm_Clips.html

https://www.screwpegsaustralia.com.a...0mm_Clips.html
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Great report and even better photos. They are some serious ruts.

NX GLX, Nudge Bar, Auto-mate, Stedi Light Bar and LED globes, Rhino Vortex Racks, Sandgrabbas, Nautia pocket, GotyaCovered and Wheelskins covers, Kings/Oztec suspension, Aux Lithium battery in rear, Kaon Table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X