Another Kiwi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Kiwi

High everyone , just bought a 2016 Pajero Sport but due to the just announced lockdown in Auckland I'm not sure when I'll be able to pick it up :-(

I'm not really into serious 4x4ing or modifications, just want something that can get me into and out of the back country for hunting, fishing and camping.
    Will be doing some basic mods though, recovery points, underbelly protection, nudge bar, AT tyres, diff breathers and possibly a snorkel.
    I suspect it could all become a spending addiction!!

Cheers
    Imaca

Hi Imaca,

Welcome to the Forum.

4WDs are a bit of a bottomless pit when it comes to mods and additions.

Comment

Welcome Imaca, what part of NZ are you from? I'm an Aussie but love NZ. The good wife and I have a fair chance of ending up there once the kids are gone.

It all starts with a few additions, then for better or worse you start to see the sense in other additions. Just do lots of homework because what one perceives as the best because one observes many sporting it, is often not the case. It all depends on your needs, budget, use, and how understand the wife is if you have one. Its not hard to drop another 10k+ following the crowd and the marketing.

Belly protection and a snorkel sound like a fair call for NZ. However pending the average depth waded V times required, a well attached tarp with occy straps will do. The air intake is just above the grill under the bonnet, so reasonably high anyway. It also has provision to dump a small mouthful of water. I have pondered some well placed additional holes in the upper mouth part of the funnel may also help deal with a slightly bigger gulp. But remember to wade those icy cold swift moving crossing first, and be mindful the rocks are bloody slippery most of the time from my experience. Take a stick.

You may find the money spent on a snorkel should go into a suspension lift. The standard suspension is wanting particularly with a camping load off road.

May I suggest for NZ a decent awning that is quick and easy to set up. Something to get you out of the rain but still in the game. We do the same over here but for the sun. That's not a dig, though it should be. haha The sun over here feels like it can burn holes in you over summer.
      Now a days you can get quick realise mounts so the awning does not have to live on the car 365, or it can become a base shelter with the addition of a few poles while camping.

cheers
      Last edited by jaffles; 1 week ago.

Comment

Last time I looked the Pajero Sport had the air intake for the air cleaner sourcing air from the upper wheel arch and not under bonnet like the Pajero, Challenger or pre MR Tritons.
        I think the upper wheel arch air inlets is bad place to be sourcing engine air especially in dusty or wet conditions, I am not sure what reason Mitsubishi have with this design, but I would not be happy going off the bitumen for extended periods with this setup.

OJ.

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/pajero...032AB01ENG.pdf
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Originally posted by Imaca View Post
          I'm not really into serious 4x4ing or modifications, just want something that can get me into and out of the back country for hunting, fishing and camping.
          Will be doing some basic mods though, recovery points, underbelly protection, nudge bar, AT tyres, diff breathers and possibly a snorkel.
          I suspect it could all become a spending addiction!!

Cheers
          Imaca
          Lol,

I'm doing the same & have been long doing my homework, many on here have been so helpful & taught me a lot.

One thing that's come to my mind, is I think from the road surface up, is somewhere i'm thinking is a good idea for me personally to spend the loot, over time as I go.
          When you think about it, the drive train can't propell you if you have flat tyres, no clearance, busted spings & struts or hole in your sump or a roo hanging out of my front grille, maybe a Deer for you in NZ.

Weight, weight, kilograms of payload is front & centre in my mind, as i have realised from some kind souls on this forum.

It's certainly an opinion that varies, how strong for how many Kilograms added is actually benificial Vs hindrance, balancing act

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16

Comment

@jaffles @old Jack @Jasonmc73 Thanks all for your comments and advice, I am based in Tauranga in the Bay of Plenty on the East coast of the NI. I hear you about budget and the understanding wife, she's a delicate act to balance that one, I've already had "the look" over the nudge bar, lights and recovery points. She's going to go septic if/when I do the suspension but I guess I can always sleep in the back of the car! :-) I'll let you know how that goes

Looking forward to the next bit...

Cheers
            Imaca

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Last time I looked the Pajero Sport had the air intake for the air cleaner sourcing air from the upper wheel arch and not under bonnet like the Pajero, Challenger or pre MR Tritons.
              SNIP I am not sure what reason Mitsubishi have with this SNIP

OJ.
              opps my mistake. keep thinking a pajero was a pajero. Be good if Mitsubishi chose some other name beside Pajero and just put Spot behind it. Triton Max Challenger Quest I don't know. Its closer to that pedigree than a Pajero.
              Last edited by jaffles; 1 week ago.

Comment

Welcome to the club from a fellow Kiwi. I drove a NS version but we have a sport at my work for off Roading. Underbelly bash plates would be my first upgrade. We bought an Aussie plate to protect IC, etc but still wasn’t enough. Recently, dented the sump and broke actuator wiring on front diff. Lift kit would have saved us the repair headaches. Decent MT tyres are a must for any decent 4wd tracks. Not sure if a TPMS is standard but this goes with tyre maintenance. I use one on my NS especially when going on long road trips or off Roading.

jim

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                  I think the upper wheel arch air inlets is bad place to be sourcing engine air especially in dusty or wet conditions, I am not sure what reason Mitsubishi have with this design, but I would not be happy going off the bitumen for extended periods with this setup.

OJ.

http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/pajero...032AB01ENG.pdf
                  I can't speak for the more recent vehicles, but the Gen 2 doesn't draw air from the wheel arch. It draws from above the wheel arch, and that space is open to the engine bay and has piping from behind the grill running to the cavity. You can't get mud into the space without some real effort, probably involving hosing the radiator out while running the engine. And even then the air comes into the filter via a mini snorkel just under the top panel.

The filter layout attached looks very much like the petrol Gen 2 setup. It should attach to the through-panel piping at the front of the flexible hose if its the same style.

Any sane wading (i.e. as approved by the factory) should not require a snorkel. Any insane wading and it's helpful to have one.
                  =-( Sadly bought back: 99 NL Shortie. In a-peeling blue
                  =-) Happily replaced by: 98 NL LWB Diesel

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X