Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide

Hi everyone.

Joined to forum to check out buying a new 4wd for myself. Got an old Discovery 2 as a weekender at the moment. Looking to buy a new vehicle as a daily and tourer. Got a Simpson Trip in the planning for next year so need to sort out now.
    A caravan is in the future as well.

Would someone like to talk me out of buying a diesel GLX-R
    It looks like that or a Prado are favourites.
    MY14 NW GLX-R DiD
    ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batteries, Tinted Windows, Spare Tyre Lift, Toyo Open Country 2. EGR Block. GME UHF. Illuminator 9" LED Driving Lights.
    TJM XGS Gold Series Shocks, EFS Coils, Polyairs.
    Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club

I don't think anybody on this forum, "would like to talk me out of buying a diesel GLX-R" Good choice!! Although the VRX is a good deal at the moment, with a little extra bling.
    Welcome also to the forum.
    Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
    Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

Welcome to the forum..

Both exellent 4WDrives $for$ though the Paj gives more for your bucks & in my opinion a far better tow vehicle.. I agree with Silver Streak too the VRX is well worth a look great price ..
      VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
      NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Streak View Post
        I don't think anybody on this forum, "would like to talk me out of buying a diesel GLX-R" Good choice!! Although the VRX is a good deal at the moment, with a little extra bling.
        Welcome also to the forum.
        Perhaps I should have said, convince me why I should buy a Pajero over a Prado.
        MY14 NW GLX-R DiD
        ARB Bull Bar, Safari Snorkel, Dual Batteries, Tinted Windows, Spare Tyre Lift, Toyo Open Country 2. EGR Block. GME UHF. Illuminator 9" LED Driving Lights.
        TJM XGS Gold Series Shocks, EFS Coils, Polyairs.
        Now towing a 19ft regent Caravan

Member of the Cynical Old Bloke Club

Comment

Originally posted by Naviguesser View Post

Thats like asking who I prefer blonde or brunette they can both cook and do the washing

Comment

Prado and Pajero Drive Completely Different from each other, so drive a few of each and buy what You think is best value for your money.
            NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

Originally posted by Naviguesser View Post
              Pajero better on road handling (Independent suspension front and rear) vs Prados independent front suspension with live rear axle)

Better bang for buck in a Pajero vs paying a premium for the Toy badge of the Prado

Appears ANCAP rating for 2013 Pajero and 2013 Prado are the same at 5 stars.

Pajero still looks better than a new Prado.

The option of having 2WD or 4WD high range and being able to shift on the fly due to Mitsubishi's super select system.

The amount of Mitsubish Pajero EVOs that have won the Dakar ( I know they are different from production pajero but still bragging rights )
              NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

You'll get more warranty with the Pajero also - good peace of mind if you plan on keeping this 4WD for the long term.
                Best of luck with the decision!
                Cheers, Dan.
                2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

The diesel Prado is a slug compared to the diesel Paj. It's less powerful and heavier. The Prado ride is worse than the Paj, and the Paj is one of the best handling 4WDs on the market (only eclipsed by the German SUVs which of course don't have the breadth of capability anyway). When we test drove them back to back my wife hated the Prado. The Prado has a stupid 3rd row arrangement and stupidly high load floor. Pajero has better warranty.

On the positives, the petrol Prado engine is a beaut engine. The Prado will "feel" better on corrugations due to the chassis/body construction. The Prado interior is probably a bit heavier duty than the Pajero (which scuffs easily). You will most likely get a better resale on the Prado thanks to one-eyed Toyota fans, but you do pay more upfront for equivalent features.

Personally we looked at both and the end choice is obvious.
                  2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

How long you planning on keeping it? If you are worried about resale then get the Prado, also has 180L fuel capacity.

I reckon the Paj is the better vehicle in terms of value for money, reliability and alroundness (if that's a word). My opinion only though!
                    SOLD 2004 NP 3.2 auto
                    NOW 2014 Ranger XLT auto

Comment

Pajero vs Prado. Both very good cars and no doubt you will be happy and/or adapt no matter which you get. I spent the better part of a year deciding between them (only 10 more sleeps till my Pajero ).

I have a friend who bought a new Pajero a year or so ago, mainly as a tow rig, not much off-road. At the same time his brother in law bought a new Prado of about the same level. They have both now spent quite a bit of time in each other's cars. My friend wonders why his B-i-L spent the extra almost $10K on his Prado. So does the B-i-L.

(this predates the revised Prado just released, but I suspect that the important parameters for my friend - towing, handling, cost - may not have changed much).

Good luck with your decision.

Phil
                      BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni 90 front and Bilstein 6272 rear shocks with Lovell HD springs, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

Both great cars as previously stated, one thing I don't like about the 150series Prado is how light the steering is
                        2004 NP exceed DI-D: Bilstein/Lovell 2"HD lift, Bushskinz guards & sliders,Tigerz 2x2.5 awning, Toyo Opat 2's, Safari snorkel, SR 3" exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by Nab View Post
                          If you are worried about resale then get the Prado, also has 180L fuel capacity.
                          It's not as good as that now Nab. The 120 series held 180L but for the 150 series, fuel capacity has dropped to 150L.
                          It's still better than the Paj in the fuel capacity regard but this is nothing that an Aux tank can't fix
                          Cheers, Dan.
                          2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X