Hi, I'm new and in a quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I'm new and in a quandary

Greetings all, i hope this day find you well and not suffering from too much celebrating the end of 2016 I have joined up as I need all the help I can get. While I have never owned a Paj to this point in life I am looking to change that in the pretty near future.

After looking around for the last couple of months and reading all I can find on here the last few days, there are 2 vehicles I am currently considering. Both are diesel.

Firstly a 2008 NS, auto with 230k km, from what I have seen and having talked to the previous owner, seems a fairly well looks after vehicle with most of the accessories I would need, for a start at least.This one had injector pump replaced/refurbished in last couple of yrs and seemed to have a quite detailed service history available. Listed price $18880

Secondly a 2004 NP model, manual with only 172k km, I spent quite a bit of time yesterday checking as much as I could and went for a drive for about half hr. Seems about how I would expect a vehicle of this age and km to behave, drove quite well. My biggest concern with this vehicle is the service books were pretty vague as to what had been done, I couldn't see any evidence of a timing chain being done however as mentioned it sounded and drove quite well. Listed price for this one, $14990.

So my dilemma is this presuming both vehicles check out all good. Should I buy older with less accessories but cheaper with considerably less km?? My personal preference is leaning toward a manual anyway. Any opinions on which is likely to give the most trouble free motoring are most welcome.

Cheers.

Firstly a 2008 NS, auto with 230k km, from what I have seen and having talked to the previous owner, seems a fairly well looks after vehicle with most of the accessories I would need, for a start at least.Thisone has injector pump replaced/refurbished in last couple of yrs

Never heard of the common rail pump being replaced or refurbished. There are NS and NT on here with well over 230,000Ks and running the original pump.

Being an auto the NS will have a DPF but that is easy to overcome. Also if the manifold hasn't been cleaned it would certainly need to be done.

Make sure the timing chain tensioner and drivers airbag recalls have been done.

With the NP replace the timing chain guide.

Comment

There are many threads on this on the forum,but in short
      Np has the
      super expensive fuel pump
      Ns auto's have the super expensive dpf problem

Both will make you happy if your set on a paj.

What spec level is the NS? 18 K would be quite steep in price unless its an exceed

Also if you or the owner call a dealership with the vin number they can tell you which recalls have been done inc the timing chain.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

On the airbag recall im still waiting on the second letter to advise its my turn for both of mine 🖓

Comment

Both vehicles are glx

http://www.cargaz.com.au/carsearch/v...S&stock=153016

Please view this ad:

2004 Mitsubishi Pajero NP GLX LWB (4x4) White 5 Speed Manual Wagon,
          http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/plymp...gon/1125269002

Price: $14,990

Download the application from the Google Play Store.
          http://goo.gl/7NzhP
          Last edited by PSimsy; 01-01-17, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seigried View Post
            On the airbag recall im still waiting on the second letter to advise its my turn for both of mine 🖓

We received a call from the dealer a few days before Christmas saying the bag had arrived. Will book in this week or the next.

Comment

Being an auto the NS will have a DPF but that is easy to overcome. Also if the manifold hasn't been cleaned it would certainly need to be done.

Thanks BruceandBobbi

What is the best option to overcome potential dpf problems?

Cheers.
              Phil

Comment

What is the best option to overcome potential dpf problems?

Some remove it and replace it with a pipe and their are others that have never had a problem with it.

https://chiptuning.com.au/products-p...f-delete-pipe/

Comment

Wow, that's actually a hard choice.
                  I think they're both overpriced btw.

The NP was a very good car except for the injection pump. Good build quality. A preventative service by replacing an internal bearing is $1500, but if you wait until it fails it's $4-5k for a replacement.

For an NS, As mentioned above, if the EGR hasn't been blocked it will need the intake cleaned,which is around $600. Plus the DPF delete cost if it's needed.

Both models have the same auto transmissions although the NP is a manual above.

Probably the mechanical condition and aesthetics of each car would sway my decision.

Having just looked at each, I'd go the NS, as it has more accessories and is better setup for 4wd'n
                  2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, ARB BBar | OME 2" lift | Airbags | Safari snorkel | GME UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | TPMS | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-mate
                  2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too

Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate or lockup-mate now available for Pajero NS+, Triton MN,MQ, Challenger PB,PC, Prado 150

Comment

Hi PSimsy
                    I was in the same boat a few months ago when I was shopping for my first Pajero. After reading about the NS DPF problems I looked at NT's and test drove a couple. I then read about the rust issues in some NS-NT's.
                    The best Pajero poll put the NP first and then the NT.
                    Pumps seem to go around the 250-300k mark.
                    I ended up buying an NP with 140km's on it. (All low km NP diesels were around 16-20k in price).
                    If it were me I'd be looking for an NP or NT (or NS manual) in good condition & low km's. It can take awhile to find a good one.
                    Last edited by Aspey; 02-01-17, 09:46 PM. Reason: typo
                    NP VRX DID

Comment

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
                      Wow, that's actually a hard choice.
                      I think they're both overpriced btw.

The NP was a very good car except for the injection pump. Good build quality. A preventative service by replacing an internal bearing is $1500, but if you wait until it fails it's $4-5k for a replacement.

For an NS, As mentioned above, if the EGR hasn't been blocked it will need the intake cleaned,which is around $600. Plus the DPF delete cost if it's needed.

Both models have the same auto transmissions although the NP is a manual above.

Probably the mechanical condition and aesthetics of each car would sway my decision.

Having just looked at each, I'd go the NS, as it has more accessories and is better setup for 4wd'n
                      I agree. Both seem overpriced. $15k is a lot of cash for a 12-13yo vehicle.

The NS has a much more modern interior and better engine and the current (Gen 4) exterior appearance. The NP has a more basic interior and older external styling.

Both models can have expensive problems. I would caution against advising a DPF delete. They are illegal as this is emissions system tampering. Hefty penalties apply but I'm not sure if anyone has been fined.

Of the two vehicles I would lean towards the NS but I wouldn't pay $18.9k.

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback.

It kind of helps me, might have to keep on looking for a while yet to find a better one.

Comment

One thing to note with the NP vs NS or above is that from the NS the Paj got a proper ODBII interface. So if you like monitoring everything going one then it is cheap to do so. NP and below used MUT and with out the expensive diag tool not much can be done easily apart from check for error codes.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance BBP, can you explain the acronyms you used please?

So in the end I decided to go for the NS previously mentioned in my post after speaking with the previous owner several times. I am aware of the potential dpf issue but figure I will deal with it if it when it arises.

Should be picking up on Tuesday with a little bit of luck. Just waiting for a second finance option to reply.

Has anyone here put an I-drive wind booster on one of these? Is there anything else anyone would suggest I do to improve driveability or protect the vehicle? (Was also thinking about a set of Bush skins bash plates.)

Cheers.
                            Phil

Comment

For the price of an I drive booster, which I think is just a accelerated throttle position to reduce lag, ie it does not improve overall performance I think you can get an aftermarket plugin chip that will allow a bit more performance. I don't have one as I find the performance adequate, however there are other members on here that have.

One thing to be sure of on the NS auto with its DPF, is be sure to use low ash engine oil of the correct specifications. Check it in the owners manual.

Definitely get intercooler and sump plate they're worth the money. I haven't got complete underbody protection, however the intercooler is quite susceptible to coping a hit without adequate protection the factory one is useless.

I'd also get a OBDII scanner of some sort, that way you can monitor certain things going on with the running of vehicle and clear certain codes if they arise. Some use dedicated scanners. I use a OBDII bluetooth dongle and run torque pro on my mobile.
                              NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, roof racks otherwise stock as a rock.

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
                              Wanting: Rocksliders, 2" lift, snorkel or perhaps I should wait and purchase a NS swb in 12months time.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X