New reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New reel

Bought a new baitcaster reel and it arrived today. Shimano Tranx 500. Big baitcaster and looking forward to using it in the Gulf of Carpentaria later in the year. I,ve got half a dozen baitcasters..all Shimano. I,ve been using Shimano for decades now and never had an issue. Had 4 TLD 50 2 SPEEDS FOR BILLFISHING AND A FEW TLD,s 30,s and 20,s. They got sold and went with Tyrnos..great reels also. Just chase barra and a few reef fish now. I prefer river fishing to sea fishing. Went out last week around the Whitsunday Islands and got some nice reef fish for eating. Got blown away by a few big buggers and lost some big fish to sharks as well. Hopefully a Gulf trip around Easter.
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
    Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
    Went out last week around the Whitsunday Islands and got some nice reef fish for eating. Got blown away by a few big buggers and lost some big fish to sharks as well. Hopefully a Gulf trip around Easter.
    Words are meaningless mate. Photos or it didn't happen.

Comment

Bought a "Charter Special" way back in the mid 2000's and it's never been wet thanks to moving down to SA, the braid is probable stuffed after sitting in the rafters of the shed through extreme temps for over 15 or so years
      All the gear and some idea.....
      MY15 NX GLX, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Ironman Steel Bar, Kaon Intercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 2020, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (rear doors) ........
      Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

Originally posted by BruceandBobbi View Post

Words are meaningless mate. Photos or it didn't happen.
        Hahaha...I dont bother with photos anymore. Lost a lot when I was in the Territory. I mainly catch and release. Take a couple for 2-3 feeds and thats enough. Couldnt imagine ever going back down South...too many people and too bloody cold.
        Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Couldnt imagine ever going back down South...too many people and too bloody cold.
          It was the farthest I could get away from a toxic ex, plus spent most of my army life digging holes up at High Range in one of the 2 seasons - hot n sweaty or sweaty n hot
          All the gear and some idea.....
          MY15 NX GLX, AutoMate Pro, UltraGauge Mx1.4, Ironman Steel Bar, Kaon Intercooler & sump bashplates, Boos Rear bumper plate, KAON cargo barrier & shelf, Munji EGR delete cable, Provent catch can, Redarc BCDC 2020, 105a/Hr AGM 2nd battery, Snapshades (rear doors) ........
          Leave only footsteps & take only photographs

Leave the tracks & camps in better condition then you found them

Comment

Couldnt imagine ever going back down South...too many people and too bloody cold.

I couldn't imagine ever going north.....too hot and too humid. I like my winters...frosts, snow and all that stuff. But you're right about too many people.

Back to fishing. Shimano....what's not to like.. Been using mine for years and not one single problem,

Comment

Only did beach and rock fishing. Haven't fished for about 25 years but still have my Penn 113H 4/0 Senator used for live bating from the rocks mainly at Avoca Beach NSW, a beautiful rosewood Alvey with star drag and my 46 year old Seascape overhead spinning reel. Seascape were made at Wallsend a suburb of Newcastle. I still have my Australian made Butterworth 8120 rod, that's 8 wraps and 120 inches long from about 1975.

They were the days.

Comment

Aaah, nice-an old spinner Bruce! Was looking through lures this evening my mate had from his dad who spun the rocks around that period. Used to fish with Rod Harrison when he was around this area.

Used to live and breathe land based game myself, but backed off a lot over the years. Would try to get up north for a trip a year chasing bluefin at least but been a while now

Comment

Yep. very nice. Found a photo on the internet. The only lure we used of the rocks was the old faithful 1/2X1/4 and a treble

Seascape.jpg

Comment

Very cool. Apparently they were a pig to cast, is that right? One reel Shimano sucked at was the speedmaster I reckon, I even added mag cast control and it was still horrible

Comment

Never a problem for the 4 of us that stood shoulder on the rocks but, you had to cast directly over your shoulder. None of the round the corner stuff. It was all in the thumb controlling the line off the spool to stop a bunch of grapes. There was the 5 to1 and the 6 to 1 retrieve speed.

Comment

I,ve various eggbeaters in different sizes buy rarely use them. Prefer overhead or baitcasters. I see Alvey still producing reels. As a kid I also had a Mitchell reel...regarded as one of the best in the wworld at the time. Technology has changed much and the little reels with big, strong and smooth drags of today are superb to use. Actually spoke to a mate last night and it looks like I have a 4 night trip East of Ayr in early May chasing large whiting...something different I suppose.....wont be quite as large as the ones from S.A. though...
                        Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Didn't even know they get whiting up that far north.

Yeah, something about overheads. I use to use an abu for spinning up live baits like salmon and bonito. But the days of braid and better casting spin reels I eventually changed over, was just more versatile for throwing diving lures, flicking out little baits for yackas etc. Big overheads up north aren't even that common these days, but I still prefer. Got Daiwa and Penn, and their spools are actually balanced.

That Tranx, are they actually a casting reel? I had the impression they were jigging type reel, but I'm well out of the game likely remembering wrong

Comment

Jigging and casting as well. The smaller Tranx are excellent for chucking smaller to mid size lures. Lot of people still use overhead reels up here for mackies, gamefish, queenies, reef fish. The 500 I got is a large reel and will be used mainly for trolling and using live bait on jewies and barra..hopefully golden snapper as well. We get whiting in Darwin...however not a lot of people fish for them up North as there are bigger fish to catch ....also wading shallow , tidal creeks might see you getting a real big bite!!!
                            Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

....also wading shallow , tidal creeks might see you getting a real big bite!!!
                              From a croc.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X