Any reviews from people on the forum with lithium start batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reviews from people on the forum with lithium start batteries

Plenty of you-tube clips but I,m interested in forum members experience with lithium start batteries. Also...has anyone used a winch with the lithium as a power source? Cheers, Dicko
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.
    Some days your the dog...other days your the tree!!

Telegraph X camper

Hi Dicko
    Can't help mate but from memory this fella was happy to help, earlier version of DCS
    https://www.pajeroforum.com.au/forum...nnet#post68867

Something was always bothered me was addressed in this Youtube, "hibernation".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r96CRmiKrs

DCS Use to be $2,000 but now Post Covid been quite a jump.

https://www.deepcyclesystems.com.au/...ystem-lithium/

https://twitter.com/CatDadx3/status/...JUvKsjrQ6kAKVQ
    https://twitter.com/carlbildt/status...JUvKsjrQ6kAKVQ
    Last edited by Jasonmc73; 18-06-22, 07:40 AM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

i have an itech world since 1 year ago. starts the car quickly. Faster than the oem battery.
      had to trim some bits on the car negative terminal clamp to get it to fit, but its ok. no issues so far.

Comment

I installed a DCS Extreme battery back in Feb this year. I'm using it as a crank battery but also running my fridge when camping. The battery has no problems running my 65L Waeco for 3 days draining it from 13.6 to 13.05V and then starting the car. Car pulls approx 330amps when cold starting and battery charges at approx 78amps from the alternator. Worth noting is the alternator does not charge the battery at max amps when at idle. It's not until you increase revs/drive does it charge at full rate. At this time of year with the cold weather my alternator is charging the battery at 14.1V.

Regards,

Benny.
        Last edited by NTBenny; 24-06-22, 10:00 AM.
        2011 NT Pajero Platinum, DCS 80AH Extreme Battery, Stedi 8.5" LED driving lights, Bushskinz side steps & bash plates, Provent 200, Auto-mate TC lockup, Derale fan forced trans cooler, custom 3inch exhaust, JT intercooler, Bilstein + Lovells 2 inch lift, Airbag Man bags, DBA slotted rotors, braided brake lines, diff+gearbox+transfer breathers, Redarc boost & EGT gauge, Tuned by TME 141rwkw 598nm.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have 3 of the ITech x120,s. Very happy. I also have a Renogy 100a/h. I did some testing on the Renogy yesterday and after giving it a full charge I measured its capacity vs voltage output. It actually drew 103 amp hours from the battery and got down to 12.0v at this point! So I can get 100a/h from it without going below 12 volts...very impressed. Thats 100% useful amp/hours.. Even at 95% discharge it was 12.5v. I doubt if I will ever take it below 70% discharge(13.1v). I,d like to hear peoples experiences with the lithium and using a winch.

NTBENNY...same as ordinary battery behaviour. All alternators need revs to get maximum output. Cheers
          Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

What's the go charging crank lithium from alternator-does it have built in charger, or just throw the charge in like it's a lead acid?

Comment

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
              What's the go charging crank lithium from alternator-does it have built in charger, or just throw the charge in like it's a lead acid?
              Just throws the charge in. A good lithium ,s BMS should be able to monitor input voltages and adjust accordingly. I,ve not gone into the alternator charging of lithium as I am happy with the lead acid..until is shits itself and I will go lithium.

Just as a matter of interest I actually took my 2 x 120 ITechs , in parallel, down to the cut off point and upon monitoring the amps put back in I found that they were somewhat not as efficient as the Renogy. Out of and expected 215a/h (minus 15% from 240 a/h) I only achieved 195a/h. This means that 20% of the battery is unusable..the Renogy was 100% usable. Now this could have been because of my parallel usage. More investigation and testing required..
              Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Cheers. Been meaning to ask that for a while.

Part of me wonders, given the price of cranking lithium batteries, if a few higher discharge deep cycle lithium in parallel would do as well. Some seem quite happy with say 2c discharge or higher in 30s bursts, would running 2 or 3 in parallel as both crank/winch and house/deep cycle do the same job for potentially lower cost than one high discharge rate crank lithium and one low discharge for deep cycle.

With your battery efficiency test, that's assuming 100% ah in to ah out. I thought they were good but not perfect in that regard, so your figures may even be lower, and explain the little bit higher than ah in compared to capacity with renogy. Still, beside the point.
                You're pointing the finger at the batteries themselves/itech, considering all was fine with other Renogy? Interesting result

Comment

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                  Cheers. Been meaning to ask that for a while.

Part of me wonders, given the price of cranking lithium batteries, if a few higher discharge deep cycle lithium in parallel would do as well. Some seem quite happy with say 2c discharge or higher in 30s bursts, would running 2 or 3 in parallel as both crank/winch and house/deep cycle do the same job for potentially lower cost than one high discharge rate crank lithium and one low discharge for deep cycle.

With your battery efficiency test, that's assuming 100% ah in to ah out. I thought they were good but not perfect in that regard, so your figures may even be lower, and explain the little bit higher than ah in compared to capacity with renogy. Still, beside the point.
                  You're pointing the finger at the batteries themselves/itech, considering all was fine with other Renogy? Interesting result
                  I had the ITech in parallel. I took the down as much as possible. I did notice that when charging the 40 amp Enerdrive stopped charging a couple of times...now I put this down to resistance possibly from where I connected the charger...On POS busbar and on neg bus bar. 2 days a go I have fitted a dedicated 4B&S cable do directly put charger to via anderson plug.....this is in a camper so bloody hard to open camper and set it up just to charge battery. I can charge without having to enter camper. As I said...further investigation/testing on the ITech batteries but I was very impressed with the Renogy,s output.. I used a god capacity tester for testing.
                  Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post

Just throws the charge in. A good lithium ,s BMS should be able to monitor input voltages and adjust accordingly. I,ve not gone into the alternator charging of lithium as I am happy with the lead acid..until is shits itself and I will go lithium.

Just as a matter of interest I actually took my 2 x 120 ITechs , in parallel, down to the cut off point and upon monitoring the amps put back in I found that they were somewhat not as efficient as the Renogy. Out of and expected 215a/h (minus 15% from 240 a/h) I only achieved 195a/h. This means that 20% of the battery is unusable..the Renogy was 100% usable. Now this could have been because of my parallel usage. More investigation and testing required..
                    iTech 120X have been tested on the 12/24V forums and are well known for only 105Ah available.
                    MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, Vlads TC mod, Redarc BCDC + Lithium, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, Boo's bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65R18, TPMS, Dobinson/Kings HD 45mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, MM nudgebar with Ultravision 205 4K lightbar, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, KAON barrier and shelf, XTM kitchen and drawer. Stockman allroada pod trailer with Drifta Stockton RTT.

Comment

Originally posted by redbruce View Post

iTech 120X have been tested on the 12/24V forums and are well known for only 105Ah available.
                      Thanks for that redbruce. I,m in the process of depleting one of mine now...down to 12.3 with 90 amps taken from battery so far. Meter says 14 useable a/h left (over 12 volt I consider useful).

edit....well after testing 2 in parallel and 1 stand alone ITech 120 I can safely say that I cah get a useable 90 (possibly 95) at 100% above 12.5 Would have liked 100 useable a/h but I doubt very much if the batteries will ever get below 40% so its not worth worrying about.
                      Last edited by Dicko1; 4 weeks ago.
                      Dicko. FNQ

Telegraph X camper

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X