Central diff light flashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central diff light flashing

FIXED AFTER 2 months! Code 1458. Main vacuum hose pinched between the new snorkel pipe and the inter cooler pipe. It took a smart mechanic to work it out (or at least have a close look under the bonnet!)

Hi, I am at my wit’s end with this problem and I don’t know what to do next. Background. We have a 2017 NX Paj. Recently we went to ARB and got stuff done to go on a big trip and to tow our new off-road hybrid van. The ‘stuff’ included 200kg Old Man Emu suspension at front and back plus airbags. The back suspension was heavy duty due to our load in the back which includes Drifta Drawesrs, second battery, fridge, tools etc. After I picked it up less than 20km and the central diff light starts flashing. It turns off and resets when car turns off. ARB didn’t know why this was happening. It tended to come on after longer drives when not towing but when towing about every 30km most of the time but not always. Someone said we needed to catch it the act and take to Mitsubishi which we finally did. They diagnosed unhappy wheel speed sensor most likely caused by work done with new suspension. Fix = put up with the flashing light or put back old suspension!! Other people have said it is the rake. The back is quite high in comparison to the front. Mitsubishi said they ‘checked’ the sensors abd they were Ok but not sure what they did to check. ARB are prepared to change the suspension to standard not heavy duty but I’m not convinced this will work and I have to drive 5 hours to get this done. A mechanic I met today at a caravan park reckons to check the sensors aren’t dirty and/or replace the sensor. He mentioned the Hall affect switch? I want this fixed. Can someone please help me? I am desperate. Should I demand Mitsubishi fix this? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Lisadot; 2 weeks ago.

It is difficult to pinpoint if it is an ARB responsibility or MMAL - given it started when ARB messed with it, most likely them.

Simple things first:
    - are all 4 tyres matched, ie, the same brand/type/ model/ wear rate/age/pressures?
    - are you driving in 2H or 4H? Have you tried both?
    - check wheel sensors are clean (the optical lens that looks at the toothed ring) & wires are undamaged & connectors are good
    - measure the heights at each wheel (centre of wheel centre cap to bottom of wheel arch) & report the 4 numbers (a photo side on would help)
    - load the rear of the car with a lot of weight to level it up, then go for a drive - use a trailer if needed to help push it down
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Thanks so much for your response. I will answer some of them shortly. The tyres are all the same brand and age - Hankooks. I usually use the guide inside the door for tyre pressure. The backs are more psi than the fronts. I will measure the heights but i know the backs are very high. I have the airbags at 5-6psi when not towing and around 40 when towing.

Comment

Ride height should not affect the centre diff light coming on. If you have one tyre down a bit on pressure, it will cause that wheel to run a bit faster than the others and this can bring up an error. Similarly, if you have the rears to high in pressure, the rolling radius will be altered a bit and this can bring up an error as well.

Comment

Originally posted by erad View Post
          Ride height should not affect the centre diff light coming on. If you have one tyre down a bit on pressure, it will cause that wheel to run a bit faster than the others and this can bring up an error. Similarly, if you have the rears to high in pressure, the rolling radius will be altered a bit and this can bring up an error as well.
          If the rear is too high compared to the front, I wonder if the "pigeon toe" effect with the rear tyres running more angled & on their edge might also introduce sufficient speed differential front to rear as to cause the CD light to come on?
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Excessive or out-of-whack toe in will not affect the rate at which the wheel rotate, and even if they did, the difference is si slight that it would not be noticed. The original specs for toe-in for the rear wheels is 3 mm +/- 3 mm, and the front is 2.5 mm +/- 2.5 mm. The change of toe-in will be minimal, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by erad View Post
              Excessive or out-of-whack toe in will not affect the rate at which the wheel rotate, and even if they did, the difference is si slight that it would not be noticed. The original specs for toe-in for the rear wheels is 3 mm +/- 3 mm, and the front is 2.5 mm +/- 2.5 mm. The change of toe-in will be minimal, if any.
              Sorry - wrong terminology - I'm referring to excessive negative rear camber which tilts the tyre onto it's edge when the rear suspension is raised excessively high (like when they are lifted at the rear centre using a trolley jack - "bow legged" might have been a better term?
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Might just be my experience with older cars, but like Erad I thought suspension heights etc would have no bearing on the wheels turning, and this light is only based on the wheels turning. That logic makes me wonder if the sensor on one of more wheels was affected during the work done on suspension. The suggestion from Mitsubishi that it is the ride height sounds way off track

Comment

An example of an older car with camber change as the body moves up & down on independent rear suspension is the VW Beetle - us oldies have all seen the crazy angles on the rear wheels of those!

As the Paj has such wide tyres, when there is a significant rear camber change, the tyre tends to run more on one edge of the tread than the middle - this may cause the effective rolling diameter to change compared to the front tyres - just a possible cause.

Even different wear rates of the same matched tyres have caused some people to get this issue, so the car's tolerance for different rolling diameters is very fine.

I agree, however, that the most likely cause is ARB messing something up.
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

I'm with what you're saying now Spot. But I would assume (there's my problem) wheel alignment would be done after suspension changes as part of the package

Comment

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
                      I'm with what you're saying now Spot. But I would assume (there's my problem) wheel alignment would be done after suspension changes as part of the package
                      Even if they tried to align it, if it is very high I doubt there would be sufficient adjustment available? OP may wish to comment?

As the Paj has such a large wheel offset (46P), this may also come into play if they are "bow legged" with too much negative camber.

It may also be worth measuring the height from the ground to the centre of the centre cap to see if there is much difference front to rear?

If the sensors/wires were damaged by ARB, I would expect the problem to appear earlier once driving.

The more I think about the distance delay before the light appears, the more I think it is to do with differences in rolling diameter front to rear. The above measurement will help to determine if that is the case.
                      Last edited by spot01; 25-03-21, 08:57 AM.
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

I had that thought too about the fact it took 20km for the light to appear, obviously not wrecked the sensor but I wondered if some crud was displaced onto it or similar.

Comment

Yep i paid for wheel alignment!

Comment

ok guys- thanks for your thoughts. What info can i provide you to help determine the cause and hopefully the solution? BTW Arb have been very good and are willing to do what it takes to fix.

Comment

Originally posted by Lisadot View Post
                              Yep i paid for wheel alignment!
                              Did they give you a printout showing all the alignment settings they achieved (or couldn't achieve)?

Might be worth asking them if they were able to get it within spec?
                              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X