Active stability traction control fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active stability traction control fault

I have a 2004 NP and the active stability control system activates cornering up a hill on bitumen in dry weather. It also activates in 4LLc when it should be off. Anyone have any thoughts ?
    Last edited by Peter K; 2 weeks ago.

Hi Peter,

If the ASTC OFF switch is selected ON and the ASTC OFF orange light is illuminated on the dash, and the ASTC activation light is still flashing when cornering uphill and in 4Llc then chances are it is the Traction Control that is operating.
    If it happens when the ASTC OFF switch is OFF so the ASCTC OFF light is not illuminated then it could be the Yaw Rate and Steering Angle Sensors require calibration.
    If you have a suspension lift so that the front ride height is more than 540mm, measured from the centre of the wheel hub to the underside of the wheel arch, in a vertical line, then you are more likely to get nuisance activations of the TC system.

Does it activate when in 4H and 2H?
    Are all tyres the same size, tread depth and pressures?

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

Hi OJ,
      The car is stock standard so no lift kit. All tyres fairly new and recently had front and rear alignment. I've mainly noticed it in 2wd uphill on bitumen. I did have an issue with a front diff switch not staying in 4wd but that has been fixed. I tested it in a sand hole and noticed the ASTC flashing as I pulled out of the hole in 4LLc.
      Peter.

Comment

Could be normal in sand even in 4LLc. Brake part of Active traction control and ABS control is still active.
        Not sure about in 2wd on bitumen. Was it a wet day? Were you turning a corner?
        Attached Files
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithyv View Post
          Could be normal in sand even in 4LLc. Brake part of Active traction control and ABS control is still active.
          Not sure about in 2wd on bitumen. Was it a wet day? Were you turning a corner?
          Re the two traction control columns in the table, what is Engine control of traction control?

Comment

^ It means that the engine is retarded when there is slip. Ever got that feeling in 2wd when you take off too fast in the wet? That total lack of power for a bit? That’s the engine control kicking in.
            2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
            MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights.

Comment

What brand & type of tyres were fitted? Has the issue only appeared since fitting them?

Exactly which light is showing, eg, a warning light or a wheel light, etc?

Have you tried 4H to see if the problem still shows up? If only in 2H, it may actually be wheel slip. Is the bitumen smooth or bumpy?
              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

To Keithyv,
                On the original post I did write I was cornering uphill in dry conditions. I have traveled this route many times and not had the light flash. It possibly coincides with a wheel alignment I had recently.
                To spot01,
                The tyres are cooper a/ts and I had the front and rears fitted about 6 months apart. The light is the ASTC flashing. I haven't tried it in 4H but I will give it a crack. The bitumen is a bit bumpy but it's on the way to work and only been happening recently.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter K View Post
                  To Keithyv,
                  On the original post I did write I was cornering uphill in dry conditions. I have traveled this route many times and not had the light flash. It possibly coincides with a wheel alignment I had recently.
                  To spot01,
                  The tyres are cooper a/ts and I had the front and rears fitted about 6 months apart. The light is the ASTC flashing. I haven't tried it in 4H but I will give it a crack. The bitumen is a bit bumpy but it's on the way to work and only been happening recently.
                  I wonder if the wheel aligners may have damaged a sensor or wiring to any of the 4 wheels?

Also check the sensors are clean.

When the ASTC light flashes, do any of the 4 wheel lights also flash?
                  Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

It is a possibility the recent wheel alignment had something to do with it. None of the 4 wheel lights flash, just the ASTC.

Comment

Most likely TC kicking in, especially if in 2H.

Yesterday morning, I gunned it out of a side street to beat traffic and had the two rear wheel lights flashing as well as TC lights flashing and got the engine control kicking in. This was in 4H too. Must have gone over a bit of oil or something loose.
                      Please call me Vlad.
                      -----------------------
                      MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X