Hylomar alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hylomar alternative

I've read about hylomar being recommended for lots of applications. My rocker cover gaskets are leaking again, 3rd or 4 time I've tightened what bolts I can in less that 5000km, and given that replacement involves removing intake it's not a job I want to do very often.

​​​​
    ​​​​​Hylomar has been mentioned as really good for sealing these on the 6g74

I'm just wondering if there is an equivalent alternative, preferably one that I have here. In the non hardening sealants I've got permatex aviation sealant, and also permatex number 2 non hardening. Either of these a suitable equivalent?

Thanks in advance

Stu

Originally posted by disco stu View Post
    I've read about hylomar being recommended for lots of applications. My rocker cover gaskets are leaking again, 3rd or 4 time I've tightened what bolts I can in less that 5000km, and given that replacement involves removing intake it's not a job I want to do very often.

​​​​
    ​​​​​Hylomar has been mentioned as really good for sealing these on the 6g74

I'm just wondering if there is an equivalent alternative, preferably one that I have here. In the non hardening sealants I've got permatex aviation sealant, and also permatex number 2 non hardening. Either of these a suitable equivalent?

Thanks in advance

Stu
    Three Bond have a wide range of sealants and I've always had good results with them.

Three Bond is often mentioned in Mitsubishi maintenance documents.

I haven't ever done what you're proposing though.
    2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

Its probable the covers are not as straight as they should be, due to being over tightened at some point. The torque setting is quite low for these bolts, and is rarely observed IMHO. Adding sealant will probably do very little if this what has happened. A straight set of covers would be a good starting point.
      White 2018 MQ Triton Sportsbar Nudge Bar Towbar EDS

Master Tech at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums.com

Comment

That's a fair point. The old owner, or their mechanic, was quite ham fisted, with over tightened bolts everywhere, snapped bolts for the engine cover (it's a plastic cover, how tight do you think it needs to be). So there is a reasonable chance of bent cover now you mention that.

I certainly didn't over tighten them myself. I've gone tighter given the leaking, and that is now just grabbing the head of 3/8 ratchet and giving it a decent oomph so I don't over do it, not using the handle.

Trying to straighten them sounds like a fun job, and I don't like my chances of finding second hand ones without issues.

I was pondering some metal strip to go over them last night to allow going tighter if needed

Comment

Back when I had an NL, I had issues with the rocker cover gaskets leaking and replaced them several times. I discovered that genuine MM gaskets were the only reliable ones (installed dry with no sealant).
          this is what I’d recommend once you’ve checked the rocker covers are not bent.
          Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Thanks Geopaj. There goes a days pay on rocker cover gaskets!! I'll give them a call to check prices

Comment

Stu:
              Old Cheapass here - why don't you try straightening the old rocker covers? All you would need is a length of about 150 mm of 3 mm flat steel clamped in a vice, and to invert the cover and gently hammer the flange, especially around the bolt holes to try to restore the original flat flange. You have to remove the intake manifold to get to the covers, but once there, it shouldn't be too hard a job to restore the flanges to flat surface. If it was me, I would try that first (with new gaskets). Certainly do not use Silastic or similar on the sealing surfaces, or you are likely to muck up the sealing around the spark plug holes.

Comment

As a fellow tightarse-yes, for sure. Biggest thing holding me back is ripping everything off to get to them. I'm get around to it in a few weeks I think. Cheers

Comment

The non Genuine ones from Bursons are fine. On older vehicles we use them all the time to keep costs down.
                  White 2018 MQ Triton Sportsbar Nudge Bar Towbar EDS

Master Tech at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums.com

Comment

Bursons and low cost don't seem to go together for non account holders I've found! I was actually going to order from rock auto as I've got a few things I have to get at the same time. Will buy one of the more expensive options in the hope it's better

erad was meant to also add, this hylomar is supposed to stay soft so it doesn't add to the height (though I still believe whatever you use will ooze out when torquing down initially so it goes to approximately same height as without it), but I was hoping it would just help seal it better. As it stays soft it then won't glue the rocker cover down and is easy to remove when doing the job again. I just don't want to be doing the job again in another 5000km

Comment

We always forget REPCO, well i do anyway.

But i have realised recently NAPA & Recpco are same mob.

Big company.

It might be just in my area, but i never bothered with Repco, but the new Repco store near me is massive, i went to four shops on a weekend looking for trailer bearings that weren't Chinese.
                      Found some at Napa, which that shops now called Repco.

Recently brought Penrite LV Tranny oil, Repco as Supercheap run specials $167 for 20 litres.

Also now sell Milwaukee

Another thing on specials, i was at a Supercheap & asked as i couldn't be bothered do they price match & showed the Penrite Engine oil on special, matched no problems.

Noticed ex stock Repco has GATES belts & idler pulleys for my air con. Not saying Gates is great but at least i've got a chance bearing might be reasonable

Genuine VS Gates 50% price difference for Idler
                      Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier

Comment

Repco have definitely picked up their game in my opinion. Find some great specials every once in a while, and their everyday price has become much more reasonable than when I was younger

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X