Seasons Greetings to all forum members

Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whirring noise up front after having a bit of a hit underneath.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirring noise up front after having a bit of a hit underneath.

As from a previous post of mine, I had a bit of a wobbly with hitting a bottom out through a bit of a french drain I didn't see doing about 25km/h. The impact seem to be against the bushskinz intercooler guard which shear the bolts at the rear of the intercooler guard/front of sump guard but has also has pushed intercooler up a little at the bottom Since then I notice a whirring noise that is related to driveline, ie not related to engine speed.
    I've dumped the oil out of the front diff and there was no metalic shavings/pieces to speak of, so replaced with new fluid. Still had same noise.

The noise sounds almost like tyre noise but is having at low speed aswell, and if I recall correctly occurs when on gravel as well, ie not just hard surface plus the tyres are just AT and are relatively new (about 3000Kms max) .

The CV boots look fine no cuts etc. , and can't hear any knocks when rotate front wheels by hand.

I've jack front up and check for free play in wheel bearings.

I seem to be able to activate 4wd ok, ie all wheel lights, centre diff, appear including in low gear. Though part of me is concerned that one front wheel may not be being driven when 4wd is activated. If I get all 4 wheels off the ground, am I able to check this ? If so can I get some guidance?

Also keen to hear any thing else that may come to mine.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

If you think it is tyre noise then could yo have bent something in the steering or suspension?
    You may need to have the wheel alignment checked.

OJ.
    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
    MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

OJ, I'm not sure it was a reasonable hit that is for sure, I bounced around in the cabin. I've had a look over the suspension, tie rods etc and I can't notice anything bent. It's going in to the smash repairer in a couple weeks through insurance, and I mentioned all this when I took it there for them to do an assessment on repair, just was hoping to pin point it before it goes in repair so it gets resolved and not come back with the same issue and just body work repaired etc.

Comment

Originally posted by craka View Post
        just body work repaired etc.
        Was the body work damaged from incident?

if so which body work was damaged?

Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

Was the body work damaged from incident?

if so which body work was damaged?
          Yes front right hand quarter panel at the leading top toward bottom of windscreen has pushed out by a small margin, the bonnet seam is now wider on the passenger side and the alloy bar underneath.

Comment

Originally posted by craka View Post
            Yes front right hand quarter panel at the leading top toward bottom of windscreen has pushed out by a small margin, the bonnet seam is now wider on the passenger side and the alloy bar underneath.
            Mmmm something has shifted to move the panels as the panels weren't impacted if i read your incident correctly.

Front right pushed out

Bonnet seam wider passenger side

Intercooler pushed up & bolts sheared of intercooler plate

Almost sounds like your front end might be slightly shorter or taller in length than pre-incident?
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

You say the noise is road speed rather than engine speed related. My old NL was heavily thumped up the arse by a Commodore, causing the NL to be violently accelerated forward - so much so that both front seats backs collapsed. After the car was repaired (there was NO body damage - only bumper and towbar - the Commodore had run under the Pajero), there was a slight Ting Ting Ting Ting which could be heard as the car slowed to a stop. No-one could find the cause (including me) until a few months later when I was getting a wheel alignment done and the guy noted the dust shield on the tailshaft front uni joint was skewed. He tapped it straight and the noise disappeared. We had a look at the rear gearbox mounting and when you knew what had happened, it was obvious that the whole engine and gearbox had moved considerably during the hit - mainly backwards. So check the dust cover on the tailshaft uni joint - it probably won't be rubbing, but that was my experience.

Comment

I wonder if there is some damage done to the front freewheeling actuator and it is not fully disengaging.
                Have you tried selecting 4H and does the noise go away?

OJ.
                2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
                MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

If your getting the panel damage repaired through insurance, wouldn’t they also fix the mechanical damage through the same claim?
                  Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    I wonder if there is some damage done to the front freewheeling actuator and it is not fully disengaging.
                    Have you tried selecting 4H and does the noise go away?

OJ.
                    4H, 4HLC and 4LLC can all be selected , but to me the noise still sounds present.

Comment

Originally posted by geopaj View Post
                      If your getting the panel damage repaired through insurance, wouldn’t they also fix the mechanical damage through the same claim?
                      Yes, I have listed it as an issue in the claim, but I was just trying for my own satisfaction trying to determine what the noise is. As to me the body, bar and intercooler damage are physically obvious but the mechanical problem of making the noise is not. ie I don't want them resolving the body work etc, and then stating along the lines of "couldn't find or notice the noise you were talking about" and hand it back still making the said noise.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X