Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manifold Clean - How much gunk is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manifold Clean - How much gunk is too much?

Bought my MY15 NX Pajero with 84,000km on the dial and deleted the EGR straight away. The previous owner had a catch can fitted, probably from 75,000km or there abouts.
    The car now has 95,000km on it and i just took a peek up the intake, looking in from the intercooler-to-manifold pipe (see photo below).

There's obvious build-up inside but I'm unsure of how much is bad enough to warrant the expense of an intake manifold clean
    I chipped away some of the black gunk and to take a guess, it may be 3-5mm thick, soft and powdery.
    There's no black smoke when driving and I can't say it's down on power in any way.

So what's the general consensus, is this good/bad/ugly and would I benefit from an intake manifold clean?
    Any input would be appreciated!

PXL_20220508_105803958.NIGHT.jpg
    Previously: 1988 NF SWB (fitted with a Commodore EFI V6), then a modified Patrol before returning to a 2002 3.2 DID (ebay intercooler & some bigger pipes).
    Now: NX GLS MY15

When mine was done at about 175K with no catch can or EGR delete, it was about 4-5mm thick inside, but the majority seems to be in the intake manifold below the butterfly where you cannot see with out an inspection camera.

Once clean there was a small improvement in low down pick up, but felt nothing anywhere else. I did mine as the valve clearances needed to be done and this was half the work already, so for a few hundred extra the mechanics did mine at the same time. Now have the catch can and EGR resistor mod to help keep it clean and so for it seems to be working great.
    NT Pajero RX auto 5 door. Nudge bar, LED light bar, ProVent catch can, EGR resistor mod, dual battery, 265/65/18 Cooper ATT. Joying Android Head unit with TPMS, Dash Cam, and TorquePro via OBD2 . Alpine amps, infinity splits and sub, sound deadening in doors. Scanguage. GME UHF with 2.1db antenna. Clear view tow mirrors. Rubber floor/mud mats. Led interior lights and brake/tail & reverse lights. EVC Throttle Controller, Race Chip RS with Bluetooth control. AutoMate Pro.

Comment

To asses it better take off the EGR pipe which goes across the top of the engine at the back. It’s only a few bolts and easy to get to. That will give you a chance to look down into the valve itself.
      Gary

2008 NS DiD Exceed. MM factory alloy full bar, Autosafe cargo barrier, Roley's rear bash plate, Uniden 8080 UHF, Baintech powertop aux battery in cargo area (removable), Jaycar battery isolator, fire ext mounted in place of rear door handle, Redarc EBC, BushSkinz IC & sump. ARB Frontier replacement fuel tank, Pedders track rider suspension. Lockup Mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Garc View Post
        To asses it better take off the EGR pipe which goes across the top of the engine at the back. It’s only a few bolts and easy to get to. That will give you a chance to look down into the valve itself.
        Thanks Garc, sounds like a plan - I'll check it out.
        Previously: 1988 NF SWB (fitted with a Commodore EFI V6), then a modified Patrol before returning to a 2002 3.2 DID (ebay intercooler & some bigger pipes).

Comment

hi JHwick,
          you could always get a can of liqui-moly diesel decarb cleaner & see if that cleans out the majority of it.

Comment

Originally posted by matcs View Post
            hi JHwick,
            you could always get a can of liqui-moly diesel decarb cleaner & see if that cleans out the majority of it.
            Have you used this before and how did it go?

Comment

Originally posted by JHwick View Post

Have you used this before and how did it go?
              It doesnt. Lots of evidence chemical cleans (even professional ones where there is much more volume than a can) dont work on forums reported by mechanics with before and after experience (eg Mr Pajero, aka Rudi Zabeo on another forum you're on).

There is no easy way to clean a carboned up manifold other than a manual clean. Get it done at your 120,000km valve clearance check as most of the work is done in terms of disassembly. Theyll do the upper chain guide at the same time.

At best the liquimoly is a regular maintenance thing to keep a clean inlet clean (just like Subaru use a manifold clean each service).
              MY15 NX Exceed, Auto Mate PRO, Paddle shift, dual batteries, Redarc BCDC, MM tow hitch, Teshonka brake controller, Provent catch can, GME 3350 UHF, Boo's bash set, Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/65R18, TPMS, Dobinson/Kings HD 45mm lift, Rhino bars, Drifta 270 awning, spare tyre lift, Ultraguage MX 1.4, Vlad TC mod, auxiliary PWR 23 row transmission cooler and radiator bypass, KAON barrier, MM nudgebar. Stockman allroada pod trailer with Drifta Stockton RTT.

Comment

I have used it a couple of times & it has cleaned top section (where I could see) pretty good but it was not baked on heavy & as Bruce said is best for preventative maintenance at services.
                You did say it’s not running any different just some build up so Id use some & see how it goes untill you do pay $600-$1k for removal & clean by mechanic inc valves adjusted & gaskets etc
                for the time being I refer too

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X