diesel or petrol for towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diesel or petrol for towing

hi every one i need some input , i have just purchased a van 21 foot and towed it with my 3.5 ltr paj which is on gas injection . it used 26 ltrs per 100 klm which at 65c per ltr is $16.90 . my question is has any one towed a caravan with a 3.5 ltr then towed the same van with a 3.2 diesel , if you did was there much difference in power and economy . cheers

Hi zacc, when I tow our 2.5t boat we average about 16L /100km, so with diesel at $1.35 x 16L = $21.60.
    I hope this helps,
    Sandgroper.
    NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

thanks for that have you ever towed it with a 3.5 petrol?

Comment

Sorry no. But if you know what your van weighs (including everything you put in it), it will give you some idea.
        Sandgroper.
        NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

about 2200klg, did it pull it no worrys i mean power wise

Comment

We used to tow our ski boat (about 1700kg laden) with a 3.5L NM 5 speed, now tow it with a 3.2 DID 5 speed NP. The NP wins hands down. It is a gear higher up all hills and can hold the posted limit no troubles where the 3.5 would be pullling 80kph up most in 3rd gear. Even though the 3.5 felt more spritely, the DID just has so much torque it's not funny. Gear ratios seem better suited to the DID also.

And fuel is like chalk 'n cheese. A return trip to our favourite destination (Khancoban in the Snowy Mountains) would see the 3.5 drink at about 20L/100km. The DID is around 13L/100km towing. You would likely get much better economy out of the petrol if you wernt tackling the same hilly terrain as us. We tended to push it a bit too - early bird gets the flat water.
            2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
            2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Like psproule said, the torque of the DiD is simply awesome! Diesels are made for towing, but $ wise, your 3.5 on gas does seem to be better.
              Sandgroper.

Comment

yeh that what i thought . my paj has had a bit of work done , extractors , unichip so it does have more grunt than when i first got it . am juat looking for some feedback . thanks guys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X