Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto transmission fluids

Hi all,

I have just bought a 2002 DiD NM with the auto trans and am going through the service routine. I'd like some opinions on the preferred fluids for use in the tranny - I do lots of towing of race cars (1800 kg with trailer) and boats and usually run synthetic fluids to reduce wear and operating temps. Usually I run Castrol transmax Z synthetic in any tranny which is Dextron compatible, but I hear the only synthetic fluid for the Mitsubishi trans is Amsol. I intend to do a full flush and thus will need 9 odd litres - have searched and found a link to the old website on servicing the transmissions but can't access it as I am only a new member here. Any suggestions from the learned abut all this ?

I also usually upgrade to trans coolers where they are not fitted or inadequate - has anyone bothered upgrading the pajero trans cooler and if so, noticed any difference ?

Thanks

Ben
    2002 NM DiD Auto. 322,000 Km, still going strong
    2010 NT DiD Auto. New toy.

You need typically 12 to 14L for a flush. The AT filter may have to be ordered.

MM dealers typically use Castrol TQM-ST (bulk pallet pack).

I found Castrol ATF is cheaper in 4L ($32) than 20L ($240) - go figure.
    MM ATF (if they stock it) $35 for 5L (??? I think 5L)
    --
    Marquis
    SOLD - NT MY10 DiD, ARB D/Bar, Airtec, LRA 81L, Bil/Lov 2", BCDC1220+AGM, P3

Comment

I have changed the auto oil a couple of times in an NP and only use
      approx 9.5 litres, that is using the workshop manual as the guide. which involves remove the hose at the front of radiator bottom left and pumping out until the oil becomes clear of contaminents. I obtain the Mitsi recommend trans oil from BP auto trans SP3.
      regards Garfield

Comment

I've been using Amsoil synthetic in mine ('02 NM V6, 5 speed auto) for over 2 years, frequently towing 2300-2400kg caravan. Absolutely no problem, nice smooth changes, no sign of discoloration - also have increased the cooler capacity. It was the only synthetic fluid I could find at the time that stated it was compatible with transmissions needing a fluid that met the Mitsubishi specification. Other brands said they meet the Dexron spec, but didn't actually say they met the Mitsubishi one.

From memory I bought 15 litres of it, still have about 2 litres remaining - the recommended change procedure (crack open the feed line at the cooler, keep topping up as it pumps out) isn't one where you can be certain just when to stop doing it, so allow a bit more for good measure. But there is a limit specified as to how long you can keep the tranny pumping out the fluid.

On my experience, I'm happy to recommend Amsoil.
        Gaz
        2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Good stuff guys - Gaz1, what cooler did you end up plumbing in - did you leave the OEM one in place and add another in series, or did you do a straight swap ?

Anyone else tried something like Transmax Z ? its supposed to be compatible with all Dextron type fluids, but they don't specifically mention mitsubishi. I ask simply because the castrol stuff is available most anywhere there is a supercheap, repco etc., while you have to go to Amsoil distributor for their stuff.

I have also used transmax Z in both Nissan tow cars (patrols) and powerglides in race cars with over 900 hp and 750 ft lb torque on the drag strip and have had great results - in fact, I have never had to change it in either application ! So I'm hooked on these synthetic fluids.

Comment

Some MM auto's you can't use Dextron - have a look in the vehicle's manual - prob MM3 (ie you have to purchase MM auto compatiable fluid)
            --
            Marquis

Comment

Ben
              Initially I swapped the original cooler for the largest Davies Craig model, and there was an improvement in the temp at which the auto operated in heavy towing uphill (I've fitted a gauge also). But I was looking for a bit more of an improvement so I reinstalled the original one in series with the new, and the temp is well controlled.
              Gaz

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

I have done quite a bit of research on the tranny oil.

I would totally recommend using MMA oil and nothing else. Some people have used other oils and seem to have gotten away with no probs, but I have heard and seen more probs with using non-MMA oils than not.

I really isn't all that expensive using the MMA oil.

John
                Have a Gunmetal Grey NS V6 Exceed. Already raised with lovells, Poly airs, Colour coded ARB bullbar, Sidewinder Dual Batteries, WAECO CF50.... Just moved to Perth, wife and 2 girls and a bloody big boy dog.

Build Racing bikes in my spare time - check out the link: http://www.perthstreetbikes.com/forum/f120/

Comment

Originally posted by gaz1 View Post
                  Ben
                  Initially I swapped the original cooler for the largest Davies Craig model, and there was an improvement in the temp at which the auto operated in heavy towing uphill (I've fitted a gauge also). But I was looking for a bit more of an improvement so I reinstalled the original one in series with the new, and the temp is well controlled.
                  Gaz
                  Got a pic Gaz?

Did you install one infront of the other?
                  --
                  Marquis

Comment

Haven't got a pic, sorry. Doubt I could get one of the new position I've located the old cooler.
                    What I did was use (modify) some of the original cooler mounts to put the new one in, and then when I decided to put the original one back in as well, it seemed pointless to put it back in its original position because the mounts would no longer work.
                    So I've made up mounts for it, using aluminium angle with fairly strong laminated rubber webbing between the alum and the cooler (to minimise vibration and try to replicate the effect of the original rubber mounts). I have positioned it quite low down on the left hand side (ie passenger side of the car) in front of the air con condenser & fan, inside the part of the bumper bar grille where the number plate fits. The lower mounts go onto the metal crosspiece that runs just above the front of the skid plate, and the upper mounts go onto the metal crosspiece running across below the chrome part of the grille.

Gaz
                    Last edited by gaz1; 21-12-07, 03:35 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Thanks Guys. I assume the Mitsubishi oil is a non synthetic.

Comment

Ben

It was non-synthetic last time I bought some, several years back. I haven't heard that it's undergone any changes since.

Gaz

Comment

Non synthetic, but change it often, you won't have any problems!
                          It's cheap too!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X