timing belt noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing belt noise

i have just replaced my timing belt on my nm 3.5 paj . now the water pump was replaced the idler pully and the tensioner pully , but i still get what sounds like a bearing that is on the way out noise. i have done 2 other belts preveiosly and get the same sound on other pajs i owned . is this common ? or am i doing some thing wrong? has any one had the same issue ? cheers

Maybe a alternator bearing, power steering pump or something? Or are the noises gone if you run it with the belts off?

Comment

not alternator or any external noise . it happens when the timing belt is changed.

Comment

Originally posted by zacc View Post
        not alternator or any external noise . it happens when the timing belt is changed.
        That means nothing, the belts needed to be removed to do the timing belt, they may have been overtightened etc and agrevated something. I wouldnt think its to likely to be anything timing belt related if you replaced everything that turns...

Have you ran it with the belts off?

Comment

Hi sounds like you are tenioning the new belt too tight they howl and make the same noise as a dud bearing if the sound go`s away after a couple of thousand kays this may be the reason hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by PeterK911 View Post
            Hi sounds like you are tenioning the new belt too tight they howl and make the same noise as a dud bearing if the sound go`s away after a couple of thousand kays this may be the reason hope this helps
            sounds right to me i did same thing to a customers v6 best letting sum tension
            off the belt thay can brake and when thay do it cost u a mint

Comment

yeh i know but it has been lose and tight , the same noise. it is a gates belt i dont know if it ha sanything to do with it . what belt brand are original

Comment

A mechnic I was getting a quote off (before I dropped the belt) commented that he had found certain brands of belts where noisy. Have you always used the same brand, are they after market?

I eventually used a MM one (It was cheaper then the after market belts and dont have any noises on my NF v6

Comment

yeh i went after market , i did the same on the previous paj i had, it was a nl 3.5 got exactly the same noise. maybe i should have gone original.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X