Turbo Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Questions.

What differences are there between the 4M40 turbo in NJ Pajeros and 4M40 powered Delicas? Just the turbo not the motor itself.

I can get a low mileage turbo off a Delica that's a TF035, is there any difference to that of the Pajero turbo?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There isn't any diff that I'm aware of in terms of tuning.

The injection pump will compensate for any boost difference anyway if you bolt one to your motor.
    'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

TF035 (Not sure on Housing ratio) are stock on Forester GTs 1999-2002ish. 2.0 Litre engine. The first thing that GT owners do is upgrade to a TD04L off the XT forester or later WRX. That is a bolt on upgrade.
      Current ride. EP91 Starlet Auto
      Missus car: 2005 Platinum DiD Auto, H/R Towbar, Rhino Sportz Aero Bars, Redarc Isolator, Elec Brake Controller. 2" Lift and LT Tyres.

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Streetfighter View Post
        TF035 (Not sure on Housing ratio) are stock on Forester GTs 1999-2002ish. 2.0 Litre engine. The first thing that GT owners do is upgrade to a TD04L off the XT forester or later WRX. That is a bolt on upgrade.
        Does that mean if I find a forester it uses the same turbo? Or a rex I can just bolt it on without having to fabricate anything?

I'm confused and have a headache.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I can't guarantee it is that simple for your Mitsu. The Subis use Mitsu turbos but I don't know if they have been changed in the meantime. I have seen GT forester turbos for sale from $150 for the TF035 and $250 for a decent condition TD04L. THere are some pics on here http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2683/article.html

Try rexnet.com.au or gtrydaz.com.au for sale sections.
          Current ride. EP91 Starlet Auto
          Missus car: 2005 Platinum DiD Auto, H/R Towbar, Rhino Sportz Aero Bars, Redarc Isolator, Elec Brake Controller. 2" Lift and LT Tyres.

Comment

Let cut to the chase
            Your question is will the delica turbo fit?
            Yes!! providing its the same motor. ( 4M40), however before you run out and grab a turbo a fews things need to be checked. The delica has 2 power setting depending on what type of injection pump was fitted, if its the earlier one ( up to 96) with a mechanical pump it should be right and boost/Fuel will be right as they have the same power specs. If its the latter one the power was up, an electronic pump was fitted along with EGR, not sure if the turbo will fit in this case best check PN of the units
            Muzza
            Muzza
            2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
            2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
            2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Thanks for the info all. I don't know exactly what model delica it is, all they say is it's from a front cut and has low k's. They can't say whether it will fit or not.

Where can I go to get a reconditioned turbo that will bolt on and work? I looked a little harder and mine has damaged vane tips on the inlet side and a lot of play side to side in the bearing. I've been quoted between 1200 to 1300 for a rebuild on mine depending on what they find on pulling it down.

I'm having a running battle with a mate who seems to think I can just run down to the local bearing centre and buy a kit and rebuild it myself. Apart from not having the correct tools or the knowledge I could do that I guess.

Being christmas and broke is making decisions harder to make, I've just sold my old beloved Valiant to try and get money together to get it fixed.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Well they say it's got the mechanical pump and was off a 94 Delica. So I guess that's a good sign. I don't know whether to buy it or get mine rebuilt, even though it will cost more in the short term.

I suppose I can take the risk on a dud, but $700 is a lot of money to risk.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

[I suppose I can take the risk on a dud, but $700 is a lot of money to risk.[/QUOTE]

Yes your right, a few things you can check before you part with $$$, Check the intake side and look for any scratches in the housing from the vanes hitting, look for oil passing, yes they have cleaned the unit, however use a small torch and try to look around and behind the vanes for oil, last point like everthing a turbo on a 4M40 has a limited life if its a water cooled unit around 300K if its oil only cooled 250 normally sees them out. the problem with jap imports the short K's and lack of oil changes results in seal failure before bearing failure, Good luck
                  Muzza
                  Muzza
                  2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
                  2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
                  2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Originally posted by peejay68au View Post
                    I suppose I can take the risk on a dud, but $700 is a lot of money to risk.
                    Originally posted by peejay68au View Post
                    Being christmas and broke is making decisions harder to make, I've just sold my old beloved Valiant to try and get money together to get it fixed.

They'll give you a warranty on the turbo.

I know the feeling matey, I'm into a 5 grand rebuild of my oiler.
                    'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

What's the difference between the TD04 and the TF035? I hummed and harred over buying the TF035 and didn't buy it. I pulled the intake pipe off and took some pics and noticed mine is a TD04.

After looking at some turbo shops and going through their troubleshooting guides, I tightened all the intercooler pipes and took a short run with no oil spraying the filter. I'll take a run out to a mates place later and see what oil leaks I have. It ran a lot better with power back to what it was.

The turbo is well shagged but if the oil leaks stop I'll get some time up my sleeve to get a proper fix done when the silly season ends and everyone opens up shop again.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X