Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front stabiliser rubbers

Hi,

We have had some previous posts about squeaky front stabiliser rubbers - mine are now very noisy and I need to replace them. I have bought MMA split rubbers.

How do you go about replacing the rubbers? What happens when you unbolt the brackets that go around the stabiliser? Am I in for a thrashing from a detached stabiliser? Will I ever get the stabiliser bolted back in place with my new rubbers neatly in position - or is it so seriously spring loaded that it can't be moved back without special equipment?

I have been under the Pajero and looked at the bushes, the stabiliser, and the clamps and bolts that hold it all in place but I am not game to make a move before getting some assurance that replacement of the bushes is something that can be done at home.

Cheers

Denis

Denis
    Its a very simple job you can do on the floor, unbolt intercooler and sump guard plates to give good access. I have changed mine for the same noise, once you undo the clamps the bar swings down, there is no tension or safety issues with the job, I would grab a bit of emery paper to polish the bar as mine had quite a few scores.
    Muzza
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Be sure that it's on a level floor - could be a little tension if the wheels aren't at the same level. Otherwise no probs, as per Muzza's post.

Gaz
      2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Thanks heaps for the advice fellas - it is a job I will do over the next day or two.

Cheers

Denis

Comment

I got around to replacing the rubbers yesterday. It is an easy job but I thought some people might find it useful to have me outline what I did. Note that my vehicle is a Dec. 2004 NP DiD with 97,000km on the clock.
          1. I put the vehicle on ramps and chocked both rear wheels front and back.
          2. Remove the sump guard and intercooler guard to gain access to the stabiliser rubbers and brackets.
          3. Remove the four bolts holding the "U" shaped brackets that hold the rubbers and the stabiliser in place. The stabilser will fall forward - be careful that it does not fall on your head.
          4. Remove the old rubbers and clean up the stabiliser before fitting new rubbers.
          5. Fit the new rubbers to the stabiliser. The rubbers are split and open easily to go around the bar - the split faces downwards.
          6. Lift the bar and push it back making sure the flat part of the new rubbers seat neatly into their matching places on the main cross member - this is very important because if you get it wrong you will not be able to get the brackets back on. I found it useful to put a small hydraulic jack under the stabiliser to apply some upwards pressure and to hold the stabiliser in place while I fitted the brackets. This may not be necessary if you have a mate on hand to provide assistance.
          7. Replace the intercooler guard and the sump guard.

Note that I replaced the rubbers because they had become noisy (squeaky). When I examined them, I noted that the special lining inside the rubbers has worn through. I imagine that the noise was a consequence of rubber bearing directly on the steel of the stabiliser. The rubbers were otherwise ok and had not lost any of their integrity - they would have continued to function for some time.

If you work slowly and deliberately like I do then allow an hour and a half for the job.

Cheers

Denis

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X