some like it hot - but not me!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some like it hot - but not me!

Was towing the camper the a week or so ago with our NJ 2.8 ITD (1996 with 165k on the clock) and noticed that the temp guage would 'move' on long climbs - alarmingly so one one particular hill.

Normally the guage sits at the half way mark all the time but on the long climb it crept towards the 3/4 mark - and I had backed off considerably - in fact I was driving by watching the temp guage - not the speedo.

The engine didnt boil ( ie loose any water) but the fact that the guage moved worries me (alot).

BTW - the outside air temp was 41oC. I have heard that the radiators on Paj's have a tendancy to get partially blocked causing the problem that I recently experienced.
    The apparent(simple) solution is to get the radiator pulled out and get it flushed.

Does this advice match anyone elses experience??

Cheers, Lambie
    NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

NM's had a problem with gelling coolant but that is the only model I have heard talked about much with overheating troubles. Our NM suffered the problem but only when towing the ski boat in steep terrain and high temps. I had just been made aware of the problem via this forum so I went straight to Natrad and had them pull the radiator and clean it properly. They reported that it was 1/2 full of gelled coolant. It never moved past half again. 12 months later MMAL issued a recall but all that involved was changing the coolant.

But there are other variables to consider, like the viscous fan clutch. Whichever way I would look into it but dont mess around with visual inspections and radiator flushes - do it properly.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

At 165k's.. i'd be getting the radiator serviced anyway.... but also look and solve the overheating issue... might just be the radiator anyway, check hose conditions as well.. and thermostat

Comment

My 2.8 does heat up when pushed at full bottle under load for a long duration (i.e. 4 or 5 minutes). The only time it overheated was on really really soft sand on the beach and I wasn't keeping an eye on the water temp. I did boil the coolant and upon replacing the water pump - the radiator actually bowed on the sides from the heat. I don't know what the cause was, but I will eventually have to replace the radiator.

Cheers,
        Jayden
        NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

The symtom says crook thermostat to me.
          Cheers, John.
          LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
          Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
            The symtom says crook thermostat to me.
            Why? If the temp is being regulated at all other times except under high load then the thermostat is likely OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambie View Post
              Was towing the camper the a week or so ago with our NJ 2.8 ITD (1996 with 165k on the clock) and noticed that the temp guage would 'move' on long climbs - alarmingly so one one particular hill.

Normally the guage sits at the half way mark all the time but on the long climb it crept towards the 3/4 mark - and I had backed off considerably - in fact I was driving by watching the temp guage - not the speedo.

The apparent(simple) solution is to get the radiator pulled out and get it flushed.

Does this advice match anyone elses experience??
              Yup.. been there and I don't know which it was to begin with on mine but by elimination it was all three, the fan clutch, sticking thermostat (was binding between half and fully open) and 50% blocked radiator both internal (mud) and externally (bugs)

Oil to tighten up the fan clutch is $20 from Toyota or by a new one. Someone recently said they were $250 for aftermarket, I did ask genuine.... five hundred and something.

Thermostat is $60 genuine as the after market ones don't have the dual valve arrangement so it takes ages to heat up.

.......... and can't remember... $100 to clean the radiator?

Then on mine the head cracked.... bugger...
              'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Originally posted by psproule View Post
                Why? If the temp is being regulated at all other times except under high load then the thermostat is likely OK.
                A partially open or stuck thermostat will be ok at idle, and normal cruising, but under load, coolant flow is reduced causing the motor to overheat or temp gauge to rise higher than normal.

Possibly a flow problem, so like the others have said... check/change thermostat, and have radiator removed and flushed.

Comment

When was your water pump last checked? Also check to see if you've lost a small amount of coolant.

Comment

Originally posted by Para Ordnance View Post
                    A partially open or stuck thermostat will be ok at idle, and normal cruising, but under load, coolant flow is reduced causing the motor to overheat or temp gauge to rise higher than normal.
                    Fair enough. From memory now Natrad simply changed it and the cap when they did the radiator. Probably non-genuine though.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X