Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NM - from Manual to Auto

Hi

I need to replace the clutch and at times have trouble picking up 2nd and 4th when down changing, no problems on the up change,

The first quote to look at the box and replace the cluch was $2500 plus the price of the clutch at $600-700

At those figures I could be better off slipping in an auto. Also the auto could be a better option for towing, particularily reversing the boat up the incline of my driveway

the list that comes to mind that needs to be done is:

automatic transmission and transfer case, torque converter, t bar and selectors, cooling lines, oil cooler, internal trim

Things I know
    the dash already has the slector lights just needs globes

things I don't know
    do I need to change the tailshaft
    is the diff ratio different

has any done it or investigated it?

please add to the things that i should be looking at etc.

thanks
    spen175

Hi spen175, I had a gearbox failure last year in my 3.2 DiD NM manual. It was'nt repairable ( big hole in the bottom of the case ), but in my quest to find a second hand one I was quoted 15 hours @$85per hour ($1275) labour to strip down and reassemble one, plus any parts that need replacing.
    Does your quote include parts? If not it seems very expensive.
    I ended up finding a low km second hand box out of an NP for $2200, and I replaced the clutch plate, pressure plate, thrust bearing and sprigot bearing for $816. (Genuine Mitsubishi)
    I think your in for a big job fitting an auto, good luck!
    Sandgroper.
    Last edited by Sandgroper; 13-01-08, 09:35 PM.
    NS VRX DiD manual, family pack, tint, 2.5t tow, Smartbar, Firestone airbags, Vision X HID driving lights.

Comment

Originally posted by spen175 View Post
      Hi

please add to the things that i should be looking at etc.
      The change over cost to trade in what you have to what you want.
      'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Interesting post.

I always dream to convert my NM manual to auto, but I though it's was almost impossible.
        Regards,

Enric
        Barcelona, Spain
        2002 NM 3.2 Did

Comment

I thnk you will find it is a bigger job than you might first think. The auto is fully electronic which will require an ECU change and probably changes / additions to the wiring harness. You would need an oil cooler and lines, flex plate, possibly a different crossmember and tailshafts. The transfer is different between the auto and the manual also so you sould need a complete transmission / transfer. Also, selector lever and dash surround.

Shop around a bit on the manual. We ended up concluding that it was cheaper to swap ours for one out of a wreck than the cost of repair, but then the S/H transmission / transfer was still over $2k. Biggest issue we had was that we were running out of time so I have to admit that we had not explored all options. The one thing I regret is not havign the time to talk to Eddie at Artarmon Automotive (Sydney) as he seems to be quite knowledgable on all things Pajero. If you are in Sydney I strongly recomend you get an opinion from him - he was very helpful with our problem.

We did the labour ourselves on a hoist at a mate's workshop. With the right tools it is only a 2 to 3 hour job to remove and then another 2 to 3 to replace. Biggest problem we had was the sheer size and weight of the transmission / transfer.
          2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
          2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

Originally posted by psproule View Post
            I thnk you will find it is a bigger job than you might first think. The auto is fully electronic which will require an ECU change and probably changes / additions to the wiring harness. You would need an oil cooler and lines, flex plate, possibly a different crossmember and tailshafts. The transfer is different between the auto and the manual also so you sould need a complete transmission / transfer. Also, selector lever and dash surround.
            We ended up concluding that it was cheaper to swap ours for one out of a wreck than the cost of repair, but then the S/H transmission / transfer was still over $2k. Biggest issue we had was that we were running out of time so I have to admit that we had not explored all options.
            If he buys a crashed wreck from the auctions he'd get everything needed and probably low km.
            'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X