poor hot starting on 2.8 4M40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poor hot starting on 2.8 4M40

Hi I recently had my injection pump fully rebuilt, now the cold start is almost instantaneous. Two other things are a worry though.

The hot start mostly requires a lot of cranking say 5 seconds. Occasionaly it will be 2-3 seconds.

The other issue is the lack of power since the pump service. Hills that it used to fly up in 5th at 100kph now require 4th at 80 Kph! I paid nearly $1800to go slow!!! Maybe this is how slow it should be, but it doesnt go any better than my old 2.3l NB.

Ideas? comments?
    robert

Hi Robert. Not from experience but from various other forums including the Pajero UK site. Sounds like the timming on the injection pump might be off? I'd take it back to where every you had it done and get them to adjust it.
    $1800 sounds pretty steep for a rebuild... What exactly did the rebuild require for interest sake?

Comment

everything

g'day, they said that every thing in the pump was worn, the lift pump was so bad it was gouging out the housing. etc.etc. but it had 405,000kms and never been serviced. I am definitley taking it back again, been there once and he measured the voltage across the fuel cut out solenoid while cranking, and decided the car had a crook battery and that was the cause. Well he was right the battery got worse over the next couple of days till I replaced it. that didn't solve the problem though, so back we go.
      Robert

Comment

Ok! $1800 is probably about right for that amount of km's!! I definatly wouldn't be putting up with the crappy performance...

Comment

I paid the same amount for my fuel pump overhaul @ 245,000kms, Same deal.
          I had the car dyno'ed before and after the overhaul, and power was actually down after the overhaul, but torque was up.

Normal timing for fuel pump in Aus is 9 degrees @ 1mm plunger lift, I had mine slightly advanced to 12 degrees where it is standard in some other countries - don't ask me why.

As for performance, how much smoke is she blowing (if any) and what colour - It could be running lean if the timing is incorrect.

Your doing well for 400,000kms - whats the service history like - is it still on the original engine?
          NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

I bought the blue boy last april with 390Kms I would not have bought it if the owner had not produced reciepts for total engine and gearbox/transfer case rebuild. Seems like he ran out of oil cause the pressure gauge read full scale all the time (the sender was US). Then he broke the input shaft to the gearbox. all that happened between 310 and 320,000kms, poor bugger. The sevice book had all the stamps. so apart from the pump and oil pressure sender it has needed nothing but a major tidy up. I put pajero mags and bull bar on it, it had the 2500kg towbar.
            robert

Comment

problem solved

fitted a set of exchange injectors this morning, like a different vehicle as they say.
              ROBERT

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
                Normal timing for fuel pump in Aus is 9 degrees @ 1mm plunger lift, I had mine slightly advanced to 12 degrees where it is standard in some other countries - don't ask me why.

I think that's the other way around... you had it set three degrees delayed to Aus spec... so it's firing late hence more torque. You're confuzzled with petrol motors that run BTC.

If you want advance you need to bring injection closer to TDC....

Originally posted by 6mdx View Post
                fitted a set of exchange injectors this morning, like a different vehicle as they say.
                ROBERT
                New injectors make a difference..... you should try boost plus retune... never believe it's a truck motor with the performance.
                'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X