Turbos and boost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbos and boost

I have an inter cooled turbo diesel (4d56t) and was wondering about upping the boost.

Has any one done this to their truck?

A friend of a friend upped the boost on his petrol patrol to a rather large number and apparently it went like the clappers. Will upping the boost a little bit on my truck give it a little more go? or will it just use more fuel and not do a thing?

Any ideas on how high you can push the 4d56t engines?

Sorry for all the questions.....

Cheers
    Greg
    1989 NG Turbo Diesel, ARB Bullbar, IPF 900XS Lights, 31" Cooper S/T or 33" Simex Centipedes , 2" lift front and 3" back

Hi Greg
    The standard boost on the 4d56T is about 7-9 Psi
    If you Tee into the wastegate line and fit a gauge its easy to check the boost, before increasing, check the injectors as they have a life of about 100K and have the pump timing checked ( with dial gauge).
    You can increase the boost to about 11PSi with no real issues and some small gains.
    Muzza
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
      I have an inter cooled turbo diesel (4d56t) and was wondering about upping the boost.

Has any one done this to their truck?

Any ideas on how high you can push the 4d56t engines?

How many km has the motor done?

Muzza sorta touched on it ......

Even though the intercooler is there, the biggest problem will be the turbo... more boost = more heat on a small turbo such as it is on the 4D especially if the exhaust is still small.

I'd say it's cash thrown out the door on older engines to try for performance.... especially for just a boost and fuel kick up.

I dunno depends on you whether your plan includes keeping the vehicle. If you're keeping it and still want the vehicle to go like a bear with a bee sting, hang the motor on a stand and build what you want.... bigger turbo, recal'd injection and tighten the motor up with new bits.

Otherwise it's waste of time and your money.....
      'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X