Injectors on 2.8T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injectors on 2.8T

Hey guys is it worth while having the injectors cleaned? Mine's done 150,000 not sure if the previous owner ever did them or not.
    Any benefit?

Cheers,

Andy

Andy
    At 150'K it's a waste of money using injector cleaner, most likely they will need replacing.
    The 4m40 engine is indirect injection and suffers from a short injector life compared to the DID.
    Injector cleaner will clean and remove gum or varnish build up , however will not correct worn seat or faullty spray pattern (angle)
    There are 4 different nozzles for the 4M40 depending on the Injection pump calibration No:, So Servicing your nozzles is the best way to go.
    Muzza
    Muzza
    2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
    2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
    2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

Hi Muzza. Thanks for the reply.

How do i know i need to have the injectors done? Are there signs?

Im not experiencing bad fuel consumption, and regualry get around 10-11 litres per 100km around town.

How often do you need to do them? Do you notice a big improvement in power etc.?

Cheers,

Andy

Comment

Hi Andy
        If the vehicle has had a gentle life (no hard towing) then 150 is the mark for that engine, if its been used as a serious workhorse and done lots of towing then you can extend that by a bit, it would take a page to explain why, but the short of it, is its to with combustion temperature, soot loading and turbulence.
        The normal sign of worn injectors is a drop in power and smoke at lower RPM, that may be hard to tell if you havent owned the vehicle for all that long
        Muzza
        Muzza
        2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.

LH Torana

Comment

Hey Muzza
          I just picked up on your comment about worn injectors causing drop in power and smoke at lower rpm - I had my injectors rebuilt at 130 K due to smoke etc (BTW on the test bench 2 were crap - explained alot). Now at 170K the 2.8 has decided to start smoking again - particularly as it hits 2000 rpm on acceleration - and up the hills last weekend while climbing long and steep hills(25 to 30 degree) 2nd gear low range - 2000 rpm is climbing speed arhhh - thought I was the batmobill - with a black smoke screen !
          Can one tank of bad fuel cause injectors to fail at 40K of service?
          Lambie
          NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

Hi lambie
            Tough question
            "Bad Fuel" If the fuel had dirt in it look for a blocked filter, which causes low advance thru low transfer pressure. If the fuel had water in it check the water trap/light will come on before injector damage. If the the fuel had thinnners or ethanol in it then you have troubles. Or a different line all together was the turbo boosting ?
            Muzza
            Last edited by Muzza; 02-02-08, 08:19 AM. Reason: spelling
            Muzza

LH Torana

Comment

I guess Lambie you ruled out blocked air filter ?
              'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

G'day Jaydee
                Yes I can rule out the air filter - previously I have taken it out and went fro a short drive - no difference.

Its going in to the local diesel mech next Friday so I'll see what turns up.

BTW I'm of the opinion that for diesels - injector cleaner is a complete waste of time - tried it with absolutely no noticable difference (well actually my wallet was a bit lighter) - am I wrong?
                Lambie
                NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

Originally posted by Lambie View Post
                  BTW I'm of the opinion that for diesels - injector cleaner is a complete waste of time - tried it with absolutely no noticable difference (well actually my wallet was a bit lighter) - am I wrong?
                  I never bothered.... same as for fuel conditioner.....

Just a good 'clean out' on the quiet roads shuttling home to Qld is about all I do.

Only other thing about the smoke is maybe the diaphram is leaking in the pump.... and that's cheerful cost too for it to get fixed.
                  'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

a photo of my old injector

Hi guys whiile we are talking injectors, I just changed mine on the 2.8 this morning. the vehicle has over 415,000km but dont know the history of the injectors. Of course it is as you say like driving a different vehicle now.
                    regards robert
                    Attached Files

Comment

yep certainly dirtier than when I had mine changed (and they were overdue!).
                      NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X