Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Idling turbo diesel before shutting down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idling turbo diesel before shutting down?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows how long to idle the NL series 4M40 for before shutting down. In hard sand driving, I'll idle for 2-3 mins but not sure how long to idle after driving around town or freeway.

How much is the turbo boosting driving around town changing gears around 2500rpm? What about sitting on the freeway at 3000rpm? How hot does the turbo get with those driving conditions?

I've heard that modern turbos with oil and water cooling jackets around the turbo don't need idling before shutdown (the thermal siphoning action of the water keeps the turbo cool after shutdown). Is the NL series 4M40 of such a design?

Thanks.
    1998 NL 2.8TD, GLX, manual, 255/85R16 BFG KM2s, custom rock sliders, custom winch bar

turbos cool down

No one answered this guys question back then. Have been wondering what is the opinion now for DID's?
    2005 NP my06, DID, white, GLS.

Comment

when i had my landrover i did it for 5mins just to cool it off, should be plenty. if you like buy a turbo timer
      regards perer
      used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
      now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
      bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
      SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

I have owned both petrol turbo cars and diesel turbo cars,
        and have never used a turbo timer with nil problems, the only
        time you need to let it run for a bit is maybe after you have given it a
        hard time. Regular oil changes are more important for a health turbo.

Comment

I give mine about 30 seconds at idle before shutting down.
          Maybe a bit longer if I've just come off the freeway.
          I figure it can't do any harm.

Given the 10 year warranty on the driveline, I bet Mitsubishi would have a standard turbo timer if it was important.
          09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

mitsubishi dont put on a turbo timer because its another cost... simple as that there are plenty of things that would be of benefit or helpfull on your car that arnt fitted because of cost... i would say 1min is ok for the most part maybe a bit longer if given a hard time but honestly just spend $100 on a turbo timer its worth every $

Comment

sorry guys but idling a turbo is not neccessary, think about it, the vehicle is not moving, no air flow, whats going to cool down?

you drive slowly into your drive way or parking lot, thats all it needs.

our fire trucks don't need idling before switching off.

Comment

Originally posted by osca4x4 View Post
                sorry guys but idling a turbo is not neccessary, think about it, the vehicle is not moving, no air flow, whats going to cool down?

you drive slowly into your drive way or parking lot, thats all it needs.

our fire trucks don't need idling before switching off.
                The idea is to let the turbo cool down by letting oil/water circulate while it idles.

On both my turbo vehicles (petrol and diesel) I let both idle. Usually it's just the time it takes me to unbuckle seat belt, grab wallet etc and hop out - grab key is the last thing I do. If I've been working it hard I'll give it a bit longer.
                2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

it depends on the size of the turbo to wether it needs to idle down as the fins inside the turbo do the cooling. if it wasnt nessasery then why do all big prime movers all idle down. the 4x4 may no need to idle down but it wont hurt to do so. the ones that do need to these days turn off by timer
                  hope this helps
                  regards peter
                  used to be nl 1999 auto,3.5lt petrol.
                  now 1994 80 series cruiser diesel wagon
                  bull bar side steps, mags,dual batt system,2 waecos 35lt,40lt h/reese towbar,103amp agm batt, 500w inverter. narva spotties, uniden uh7700nb uhf 40 ch narrow band, 2.5kva inverter generator
                  SKYPE NAME possum.58

Comment

The Paj is my 2nd turbocharged car.
                    The only time I will really let the car have a while to idle down is either when pulling straight off the highway (into a rest stop or the servo?) or if i've been working the car hard offroad (on the beach for example). 90 seconds would be plenty of time.
                    In the city, my drives always end with me either crawling through a car park for a short time or getting out of the car to open up my garage to drive the car in. In both of these scenarios the car has already spent plenty of time at near idle. Letting the car idle any longer is only a waste of fuel....
                    Dan.
                    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

some interesting comments re the idle down on a turbo diesel.

I idle down after working it hard but I suppose that is because I was taught to do that on Caterpillar Equipment. It was not so much the cool down but the slow down of the turbo. On Cats the turbo is spinning at phenominal revs and the idea is to bring it down so that you do not create hydrostatic or air locks on restart

That said small diesels are different and I find that 1min seems reasonable after hard work.

Mineclearer

Comment

Yeah I figure it's just cheap insurance.

If you've been up it a bit and pull up to a sudden stop then it's worth letting it idle for 30 seconds to a minute. For just poking around town I personally just let it go 5 seconds or so and shut it down.
                        Last edited by Dazza.; 23-03-11, 05:25 PM.
                        COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

Hi guys,

I have an EGT gauge with the sensor installed immediately after the turbo in the dump pipe.
                          Temperature sometimes gets as high as 550c for example on long uphill sections whilst towing. Hard low range slog through sand etc etc.

Normal idle temp for me is around 160c. When it comes to shutting down I let the temp drop back down to around 180-200c. This usually takes no more than 60-90sec. Which is pretty much how long it takes me to pull up to the gate, get out, open it, get back in, close it.....

Scott
                          1998 NL GLX 2.8TD, Man

Comment

I mainly idle my 2.5 tdi NH paj down for about 3 - 5 mins after a freeway drive. I find that is when the turbo works hard for the longest period of time and the NH turbo's are only oil cooled.
                            Around town, about 10 seconds then turn it off. 30 seconds on hot summer days with the a/c on.

Regards
                            epitrochoid
                            owning mitsubishi's since 1994.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X