Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1uzfe engine conversion

hey guys,
    I have recently aquired a 91 toyota soarer, its only good for parts, but the best part is its powerplant (1uzfe). Have been looking around the past few days on how to convert my nf paj. Has anyone converted their cars? only info i have found has been for auto paj's, not manual ones. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Missing the 4wd life... Want to help me get back into it?

Originally posted by ctchme View Post
    hey guys,
    I have recently aquired a 91 toyota soarer, its only good for parts, but the best part is its powerplant (1uzfe). Have been looking around the past few days on how to convert my nf paj. Has anyone converted their cars? only info i have found has been for auto paj's, not manual ones. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Mounting engine is first issue? it may fit into engine bay but will the mounts work??

Next is engine to gearbox. Will they bolt up or is a spacer required ??

Which ecu are you going to run?? Mitsubishi ecu is out of question and Toyota ecu will likely cause headaches. Prob best going aftermarket ecu

Will standard Mitsubishi gearbox handle power of new engine ?

Will driveshafts & cvs handle upgrade in power ??

There are too many unknowns and expensive guesses.

It's rare to cross engines from different families.

I know the Nissan boys love Holden v8s but Toyota into mitsu isn't as common

Sorry for the no help

Comment

It'd be easier if you ran carbies on the 1uz than if you tried to install it in with the efi. Bellhousing, clutch, flywheel, gearbox, drive shafts? Radiator hoses, exhaust, power steering lines, sheer width of the engine in relation to high under bonnet wheel arches of the paj. Ppl may say if an ls1 can fit then any v8 will. But remember the 1 uz is quadcam and therefore has wide, big clumsy heads. Ls1s are oldskool style single valley cam with pushrods. Alot easier to manage. And marks 4wd adaptors make a kit for the page.
      damn you hilux surf DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLL

Comment

they fit fine.... takes a fair bit of fabrication but it will work.... was it an auto or manual soarer?

if manual its fine to use the ECU on them, any auto elec can wire it up but the RPM gauge will be interesting but doable...

gear box will need a custom adapter plate, and pending on clutch you use.. may just need a new clutch disc that will have same spline as the mitsi manual...

the manual gear boxes on our pajero's have been used on other 4WD's and the bell housings can be changed...

if you have the time to research it and $$$$ to make it work..... id do it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwBVV-d9Bmo

Comment

thanks for the info jayrome, it was an auto soarer, im going to run an aftermarket ecu, as i can only imagine the nightmare of swapping the loom over haha, dont suppose u know if hilux bell housings fit our manual transmittions?
          Missing the 4wd life... Want to help me get back into it?

Comment

Originally posted by ctchme View Post
            thanks for the info jayrome, it was an auto soarer, im going to run an aftermarket ecu, as i can only imagine the nightmare of swapping the loom over haha, dont suppose u know if hilux bell housings fit our manual transmittions?

havent touched many hilux's so havent got a chance to compare...

Comment

JayRome that video was awesome.

ctchme Go for it and take plenty of pics.

Comment

You can almost bolt a hilux box straight to 1uz take the r 150 or 151 from surf or 4 runner change the input shaft from soarer r154 then your away bolt pattern is the same.

Comment

Only problem is the transfer case of an r151 is, it leans to the drivers side, the paj is on passengers side. You would have drive shaft issues with the paj ifs. Also gear shifter location problems..
                  Better off going adaptor plate... Might be able to match a clutch plate to inner and outer friction pad diameter for the 1uz clutch to match the misty input shaft. The 1uz is an excellent motor though, very nice with a blower.

Also you could take just the bell housing from the r151 and make an adaptor plate to suit it to the Mitsubishi gear box, might be easier and cheaper....
                  I would take measurements of the bell housing threads in the motor and draw it onto a big piece of plywood, then cut a hole precisely where the spigot bearing is on the flywheel, then drill a piece of 2x4 over the hole and drill through it from underneathe exactly where the Initial hole was but the same size as gearbox input shaft. Then sit the bell housing on the wood, even have dowels on the plywood for the r151 or r154 bell housing to slot onto, sit the gearbox ontop with the input shaft in the 2x4 the start welding! Or making an adaptor plate.............
                  Last edited by NTpadge; 03-06-12, 03:58 AM.
                  damn you hilux surf DAMN YOU TO HELLLLLL

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X