Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can a Diesel run on in an emergency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can a Diesel run on in an emergency?

G'day Guys
    Just curious to know what our modern diesels "can" on if an emergency was to arise (life dependent).
    The old non common rail could run on just about anything (you know what I mean) but what about high pressure common rail systems?

Are they diesel only? Just thinking out loud.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Probably need an "expert" to tell you this one, but I would imagine even with the 4M41 in my NP (ie. non-common rail), you have to be a bit careful. I remember speaking to a couple of diesel places a few years ago when I was considering making my own bio-diesel and they all said if you didn't feed the fuel pump in this engine with the right stuff, it would crack up very quickly.

Having said that, if it was a life and death situation, it would be interesting to see how far the engine would go on something like cooking oil.

Cheers

Geoff
    03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

cooking oil so long as it's clean (1 micron screened) you should be able to run it all day long

after a quick look around the net

old engine oil
      transmition fluid
      power steering fluid
      kero
      heating oil

the engine will run but for how long is the question

but if you are 50k from help and you have 5-10l of any of this stuff laying around, mix it up and give it a go
      Last edited by Wooly Mammoth; 11-11-13, 08:53 AM. Reason: Stuff
      '95 NJ GLS LWB 3.0Lt Auto, 3" Body lift, Bocar Bar , 2 x 55W 7" HIDs , PRM 8030 UHF , Snorkel.

Comment

Looking a bit it seems to be what the fuel pump and injectors can take not if it will just go bang at the right time.
        ATF seems and motor oil seem to be the most common suggestions.

Question. Can you mix vegi oil and diesel? Do they separate in the tank?
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

be very careful on a common rail diesel, apart from the emissions requirements the main reason we gto low sulphur diesel was to enable common rail diesels to be used in australia, a side effect of the ULSD is a much finer filtering process and higher quality control to meet the needs of the CRD, and given the cost of rebuilding a CRD motor i would just get towed till i could get some fuel.

Note the properly made and filtered bio diesel should be ok provided it has been filtered down to 1 micron.
          Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
          Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

I was talking more along the lines of you are on your own without enough fuel to reach safety by no means than your own.
            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

If you could find an airport to pinch some Aviation turbine fuel (Jet A1, Aviation kerosene, what ever you want to call it, just NOT Avgas....), they will run on that with no problems at all.
              Smells good when its burnt too
              2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

What does that cost a L Dan????
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                  What does that cost a L Dan????
                  No idea Goodsy. I used to run my Surf on roughly a 33% Avtur, 66% diesel mix from time to time. Ran beautifully, just stunk like a jet out of the exhaust.... I knew others that ran 100% avtur. It was waste fuel from work (Clean though, straight out of the wing....). If we didn't take it, the company had to pay to dispose of it.
                  Cheers, Dan.
                  2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

hopes and dreams? hahaha
                    If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

a 205 of jet A! i used to sell for just on $600, bulk delivered it was similar price to diesel, funny part is the jet A1 that fails quality control has blue dye added and is put in the household kerosine tanks.

a version of kerosine that is closer to diesel spec than jet a1 is what they call narrow cut kerosine often used as parts washer.

I still wouldnt use any of them in a CRD, i would in the older diesels though.
                      Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
                      Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica

Comment

Originally posted by bakerboy View Post
                        hopes and dreams? hahaha
                        Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
                        "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wooly Mammoth View Post
                          cooking oil so long as it's clean (1 micron screened) you should be able to run it all day long
                          after a quick look around the net
                          old engine oil
                          transmition fluid
                          power steering fluid
                          kero
                          heating oil
                          the engine will run but for how long is the question
                          but if you are 50k from help and you have 5-10l of any of this stuff laying around, mix it up and give it a go
                          I don't normally carry 5-10l of this with me, would I not be better to carry 5-10ltrs of Diesel ?

If you're close to an Airport, would you not be better to just get some Diesel rather than the other options mentioned ?
                          2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                          2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

Many on planes run on diesel? See many diesel powered Cessna's at your local airport.

BTW not all airports have fuel of any kind. More a flat paddock. That's it.
                            NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

I think most airports that do refueling of the aircraft have trucks and equipment running on Diesel. I'm sure there was a Diesel tank at Marree when I was there. Obviously not the same for all landing strips.
                              Most farms or Station would help out with fuel if stuck and Diesel is the fuel of choice.
                              2005 NP Platinum Edition, DiD Auto
                              2009 VW Crafter motorhome

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X