The price of parts, Local v OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The price of parts, Local v OS

I'm having the timing belt and associated parts replaced next week on my Gen 2 3.0 and managed to obtain most parts from a local supplier at good prices (better than online).
    However, there was a couple of bits that I had to go genuine if I wanted them.
    The fan pulley bracket, water bypass pipe (under the manifold) and crank bolt.

The fan pulley bracket - Local Mitsi wanted $649, Southwest Auto US - $38.38.
    13112013783.jpg

The water bypass pipe - Local Mitsi wanted $135.30, Southwest Auto US - $42.01. The O'ring was $2.58.
    This pic keeps failing to upload.

The crank bolt - Local Mitsi wanted $29, Southwest Auto US - $13.

Even with freight at US$65, the parts were worth getting.

649 bucks for that fan pully bracket, now don,t genuine spare parts make a killing in there sales. wonder how much the government makes out of spare parts in australia as in the USA they can sell parts very cheap and there no even made in u.s.a. for the Mitsubishi.
    NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

For mast cars/trucks, They are worth more as parts than whole.
      '95 NJ GLS LWB 3.0Lt Auto, 3" Body lift, Bocar Bar , 2 x 55W 7" HIDs , PRM 8030 UHF , Snorkel.

Comment

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
        649 bucks for that fan pully bracket, now don,t genuine spare parts make a killing in there sales. wonder how much the government makes out of spare parts in australia as in the USA they can sell parts very cheap and there no even made in u.s.a. for the Mitsubishi.
        I don't understand how the exact same part can have such a huge difference in price.
        If it was specifically made for Australia I could somehow accept a price difference.
        The bloke I bought my other bits from said the same thing about Honda.
        Parts From Honda US were 50 - 75% cheaper than Honda AUS.

Comment

There is no excuse for that sort of price variation.

I used to do parts interpreting and Mitsubishi was one of the manufactures I did. Most of there parts pricing was pretty good but some things perfect examples above was a joke. It's not the dealerships that put these prices on things either there mark up is very small compared to a lot of places.

I have a patrol and I buy most of my stuff genuine as radiator hoses are about $10 each and the same for fan belts. Oils, filters etc are all well priced but then you may want a sensor and it's $400 for a $20 part. lol

I always found BMW and VW where the cheapest of our 9 manufactures surprisingly.

I'm stuffed of I know how they price things I think they draw them out of a hat.

Cheers Mick

Comment

Had a similar issue recently for my 3ltr nk and a 3ltr nh.
            Rocker arms- $50ea mma and only $23ea from south west auto
            Torque convertor bolts- $16ea mma and only $6ea south west auto
            Ended up going to bogger for the bolts

And don't get me started on all the other prices I've been quoted.
            The guys out at my mits spare parts department are top blokes and even they concur with some of the parts prices.
            97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
            97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

My wifes manga's indicator switch was stuffed, rang the local MM dealer $500 just for the stalk and i needed to buy the base as well which i think came in at around another $400 <- screw that. bought a second hand one off ebay for $31 inc postage.
              '95 NJ GLS LWB 3.0Lt Auto, 3" Body lift, Bocar Bar , 2 x 55W 7" HIDs , PRM 8030 UHF , Snorkel.

Comment

Had a Subaru 3RB that needed a new catalytic converter just out of warranty Subaru Australia wanted $6700+ fitting 4 weeks ex Japan purchased one local for $300 fitted . There"s no doubt we are ripped off in Oz a friend was looking for a caravan Jayco type for $70000 same size with better specs in USA $15000 .

It was my policy to support the local guy but when he lives in a bigger house than me I say stuff him would rather the $$$ in my pocket now.

Maybe that's the problem with Australia too many people like me

Comment

Its unfortunately not only MM. I needed a new 'black box' for an electric golf cart. Found a company in Sydney $700 plus gst. Also found a company in the USA who could deliver to my door the same item for $350. When l contacted the company in Sydney they dropped their price to $300 including gst and delivery. Just how much are these bastards ripping us off . Dont be afraid to let them know what the online price is.

Comment

Do you have a link to the Southwest Auto website to check for parts?

Cheers

Comment

I think its this one
                      http://www.oemmitsubishiparts.com/
                      Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
                      New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

Originally posted by my.paj View Post
                        Yep, that's them

Fantastic to deal with and have saved me thousands.
                        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel

Comment

Cheers guys hmm doesn't seem to have any NS Pajero parts.

Comment

You need the part number you're after first, then do a search on their website.
                            Go to http://mitsubishi.epc-data.com/ to find the part number(also compare prices with them, them being Amayama). Some parts it's best to just get the numbers and a quote through Mits Australia first and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                            X