Timing chain issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing chain issue

I have to say this whole timing chain issue is a bit scary, if indeed mmal are not acknowledging there is a problem with the GUIDE, then perhaps the people who have a vested interest get together and approach mmal as a group and see if a bit of pressure can get a little more attention to this issue. My own experience with mmal with my triton a while back was pretty good, and if the GUIDE is a cheap part to replace I'm sure they would be compelled to take the path of least resistance if the forum inhabitants made a bit of noise. They (MMAL) would be pretty silly not to be looking in on this forum, and as far as a forum goes, the pajero forum is a wealth of knowledge for anyone with an interest in the brand, and they would be more likely to listen to a group rather than as individuals.

I'm sure there is a case as there is some fairly compelling evidence to support the argument.
    Last edited by bilgeboy; 21-11-13, 12:56 PM.
    2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
    GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

I assume you are referring to the 3.2 motor?
    If so, what problem is there with the tensioner? None that I am aware of.
    The problem with the timing chain only appears to be a concern when the top guide wears through (from research on here, usually between 180,000km and 250,000km) and the section of the top guide breaks away and gets caught in the timing gears. This causes the timing chain to break and things get very expensive.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the tensioner.
    From what I have read on here, ALL (not that many in the big scheme of things) timing chain failures appear to have been caused by the top timing chain guide being eaten away.
    As is well documented on here, this is a simple and cheap component to replace. I had mine replaced at 90K and it will get done again at the 180K valve clearance adjustment.
    If anyone can point me to an occurrence of a 3.2 timing chain failure, where the upper guide has NOT been the cause, I would love to see it.
    Cheers, Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

If a chain lets go for some other reason, the top guide in all probability will be taken out as well. So to categorically say the chain isn't at fault, its the top guide, is probably not correct. I think I can only recall a couple of incidences pre failure where the chain/side guides had issues.

However, evidence to date shows the top guide is an issue. If this lets go, the chain is prone to failure. So on balance of probabilities, I say the top guide is the culprit here.

As for a case, class action, whatever.....Many manufacturers have had timing gear issues in the past. To overcome those issues, all that needed to be done was to modify the service schedule. Change the offending component at an earlier than designed date, the cost to be born by the customer.
      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Apologies I was talking about the guide. (post edited)
        Not talking about a class action either, just what you said, action to prevent it happening rather than leaving it to chance.
        Last edited by bilgeboy; 21-11-13, 12:57 PM.
        2008 VRX 25TH anniversary with lots of extras
        GONE! 1997 NK Pajero turbo diesel GLX 31" Maxxis bighorns/2'Lift/ARB Winchbar/ warn x9000/ IPF 900 Spots/GME UHF and a Jesus bar.

Comment

One thing to note here:

The tensioner is a mechanical ratchet mechanism. It can increase tension as required but will never loose that setting.

Turning the engine in the opposite direction, The chain slack is inverted and it is possible for the chain to then be over tensioned.

For manual tranny users, beware of a stalled engine situation on an incline. If movement occurs against the direction of the selected gear with the clutch out, engine reversal could occur.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. My14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

Love from the dime a dozen, lonely army type/weekend warrior dude with a dual cab and all the same shit as everyone else who doesn't know any better. Thanks for the tip Bru.

NX buildhttps://www.pajeroforum.com.au/core/...ive%5B1%5D.gif

My Journeys

Comment

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
            If a chain lets go for some other reason, the top guide in all probability will be taken out as well.
            Yep, quite probable Shane. But in this case, the guide would likely be mutilated, not cleanly cut through as has been documented on here many times.
            Like I said, if someone on here can point me to a chain failure that hasn't been caused by the failure of the top guide, I would love to read about it.
            Cheers, Dan.
            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

Timing chain guide

Hi
              My first time on the forum I have a np 3.2 I was trying to order the timing chain guide the dealer cant find It in the parts list can anyone give me the part number please Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by robdxr6 View Post
                Hi
                My first time on the forum I have a np 3.2 I was trying to order the timing chain guide the dealer cant find It in the parts list can anyone give me the part number please Rob.
                Here you go - 1140A026
                07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

Timing chain guide

Thanks Axis
                  Rob.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X